• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

A great cold storm south of the RT 2 area with blowing and drifting. Really nailed Scooters area. 

Southern New England was hit with a second very cold snowstorm in three weeks on January 21 into January 22, 2014. Snow began around midday on Tuesday, January 21 with temperatures in the teens to low 20s. The heaviest snow late in the day and during the evening was on a west to east line from NW RI to the South Shore of Boston.

The snow continued through the night into Wednesday morning before tapering from west to east in RI and interior SE MA. The temperature dropped to the single digits to low teens by early Wednesday morning. The snow lingered well into the afternoon on Cape Cod where near-blizzard conditions were experienced. Below are unofficial snowfall reports sent into the National Weather Service in Taunton, MA.

2014-01-23-snowtotals.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

A great cold storm south of the RT 2 area with blowing and drifting. Really nailed Scooters area. 

Southern New England was hit with a second very cold snowstorm in three weeks on January 21 into January 22, 2014. Snow began around midday on Tuesday, January 21 with temperatures in the teens to low 20s. The heaviest snow late in the day and during the evening was on a west to east line from NW RI to the South Shore of Boston.

The snow continued through the night into Wednesday morning before tapering from west to east in RI and interior SE MA. The temperature dropped to the single digits to low teens by early Wednesday morning. The snow lingered well into the afternoon on Cape Cod where near-blizzard conditions were experienced. Below are unofficial snowfall reports sent into the National Weather Service in Taunton, MA.

2014-01-23-snowtotals.jpg

10" difference in about 10 miles as the crow flies. That was a deformation dandy with some OES, especially just to my SE. 40:1 fluff that made me realize how annoying fluff is 12 hrs after it falls and compacts in half. :lol:  

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

10" difference in about 10 miles as the crow flies. That was a deformation dandy with some OES, especially just to my SE. 40:1 fluff that made me realize how annoying fluff is 12 hrs after it falls and compacts in half. :lol:  

20 to 1 stuff. The drifting was epic

post-3-0-60345000-1390354103.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

So what went right during the 04/05 season..I remember there being a consistent Greenland block/-NAO from late Jan on. The PAC must have been more cooperative? Although, it did favor the coast still so maybe those further inland would curse that season

Something happened for NNE (Maine at least) in early Feb.  Prior to the big dump on 2/10-11 we'd not had even a 4" event here.  Then the period Fe. 10-Mar. 12 brought 61".

Tough winter. Here we are at/near climo's lowest temps of the season and some haven't seen even one storm over 6". Second half has got to be better than the first, right?

Revised for our area.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All those good vibes on models and north trends yesterday totally gone. -NAO are no good for New England . Cold and dry now into early Feb. What in the sam hell happened last night? Op euro with a dusting to the pike is the wettest . EPS went way south 

Two responses leap to mind ... if interesting - 

1 ... no one should have been in a state of 'good vibes' if/when said vibes are aroused by yesterday's guidance images. They should have been wise, thus stone-faced and unmoved.  It's venturing off into a separate arena of discussion why they do .. But keeping things to point: nothing changed going into yesterday and coming out ... The hemisphere is still in a circumstance that is highly unpredictable, relative to any range beyond 120 hours.  Take the normal performance of any guidance, and jam a rack of M80s down their circuitry - that's what they are worth.  Even the most advanced guidance tools available can't do it - I said this 33.4 times in the last week, when the blocking nodes are inconsistently placed on the map every other guidance cycle, or guidance type, at the same time pervades hyper fast progressive flow along and S of 40 N, that is just beyond the state-of-the-art of the technology.  Think of it this way: blocking usually comes along with enhanced error; at the other end, progression comes along with enhanced error in its own right.  Now  add those two together, divide by 2 =   ...ever heard the saying, 'two wrongs don't make a right'  ?   There is an emergent aspect though, that kills the rest - and that has to do with the fact that at all scales, the hemisphere is in a destructive mayhem.  Nothing is positively enhancing anything else, because of these ongoing super structures.  So... it's just the realistic rub of this era, of this winter, is that not only is model uncertainty a bounty of riches right now, whatever remains of that uncertainty is not supported to bounce or 'get lucky' in a positive direction, either.  The 00z Euro hit my eyes this morning...no reaction except, yup -

2 ... personally I am not a huge fan of -NAO's and there is plenty of evidence and empirical data, both anecdotal and hard ..., that evinces it as over-assess and frankly, a fallacy of importance in enhancing winter storms in a favorable way .  Not saying its zero...but, it is in fact the Pacific that actually controls whether the NAO does its things - it does so via "non-linearity" of wave dispersion mechanics...blah blah... folks just have to realize that the flat high speed -PNA sends robust ridge into 90 W, but then the flow relaxes in the Atlantic, and that causes latent heat to flux/dump off into the NAO domain...block ..with a PV pinned over Ontario... That whole integration is a west--> east forcing and is a manifestation of that transitive relationship between the Pacific and Atlantic. It's non-linear, because wave A ( Pacific...) creates wave C ( NAO ) ... while wave B ( in between...) may or may not even seem to perturb as the energy of A passes through its domain.  That's really what's always been happening - in principle. 

Having said all that... the forces and the NAO/ blocking up there is not really the culprit.  We were getting boned before the NAO emerged.  In fact, setting the records straight, the -NAO is really only three or so days into its (finally!) realization on the charts.  We are four weeks and counting, passing through three patterns now, ...no results.  Neither of those patterns were really conducive since the Dec event.  

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, its over as far as that is concerned.

Ship has sailed, JMHO....but maybe mod nina will rally during the back half of winter for the second time in the past century, you never know-

I look back this fall when analogs were being mentioned for this upcoming winter and it was about 50/50 of being decent or a dud, We may be heading into breaking that tie in a negative way.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

I'm holding out until 1st week in Feb for snow, I expect nothing until the blocking relaxes up here.

I think we sneak something small-moderate prior to Feb 1, then we get something with the relax, but it seems blocking may reassert for February.  As long as it doesn't overwhelm it could be a good stretch.  Do we finally get a little Nina northern stream pattern with swfe and clippers for a series of moderate events before this winter is over?

Now in addition to the Hadley Cell devouring mankind, the -NAO is the mid latitude snowfall antichrist.

John loves to latch onto a kernel of truth and just beat you over the head with it until you promise to agree. 'Cmon, dude.....I'll go to war with a neg NAO every time from SNE points south. This winter is merely an illustration of the fact that it is overhyped, like the SSW and everything else, and no meteorological phenomenon operates in a vacuum.

3 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

I think we sneak something small-moderate prior to Feb 1, then we get something with the relax, but it seems blocking may reassert for February.  As long as it doesn't overwhelm it could be a good stretch.  Do we finally get a little Nina northern stream pattern with swfe and clippers for a series of moderate events before this winter is over?

If blocking ends up further north we may be able to sneak a few in if it returns, Where we are right now, I have very little confidence we see anything, Storms that try to move NNE are getting shredded and shunted south, Other then maybe some clipper snows with a weak northern stream starved low, I don't see much happening.