Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2021

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

If 4 weeks ago we had on the ground what we did then, this forum would have looked a lot different this past month.  Bare ground for an extended period can do that to you.

Right...I got pissy latter Feb 2011 and into March, and March 2015, but nothing like this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right...I got pissy latter Feb 2011 and into March, and March 2015, but nothing like this.

March '14 honorary bitch mention too (for me haha) because that was cold and dry AF. Just missed an epic blizzard. It was pure greed in March '15.  That dam Bruce Willis storm. I remember looking south to white curtains (not kidding here), when Bob said it was pounding there. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

March '14 honorary bitch mention too (for me haha) because that was cold and dry AF. Just missed an epic blizzard. It was pure greed in March '15.  That dam Bruce Willis storm. I remember looking south to white curtains (not kidding here), when Bob said it was pounding there. 

Yea, I remember checking out the 00z Euro like the day after my dad passed, just begging for a distraction and for that ocean tempest to back that ass up...but didn't happen, that month. Cold, dry and windy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's got it's own rewards, though, Scott - the outside <-- in perspective.  

I run through that in the summer, all the time, ...when a tower lords near-by, and begins to glaciate and you hear the thunder - good one's even pop off a couple of + strokes from vil to Golfer ... Oh, I wish I was under it. 

But then realize, I wouldn't see that perspective...the sun side lit nebular plume - .  I mean we can't be both places at once; and when underside and the winds may be swirling, the air silver with occasional hail dongs and bright flashes, enjoying that reward, I often wonder just the same what that pig looks like from the outside.   

That 'curtain' effect is real ...I saw that in the December 1992 flash over to heavy snow from heavy rain that I've extolled tails about ... It's true though...seeing that dense curtain sweep across the River from the elevated vantage of Fox Tower, and drop the visibility to < 1/4 mile almost immediately was unworldly ... 

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

That's got it's own rewards, though, Scott - the outside <-- in perspective.  

I run through that in the summer, all the time, ...when a tower lords near-by, and begins to glaciate and you hear the thunder - go one's even pop off some + stroked vil to Golfer ...and I wish I was under it.  But then realize, I wouldn't see that perspective.  I mean we can't be both places at once; and when inside and the winds swirling and air is silver with occasional hail dongs and bright flashes, I often wonder just the same what that pig looks like from the outside.   

That 'curtain' effect is real ...I saw that in the December 1992 flash over to heavy snow from heavy rain that I've extolled tails about ... It's true though...seeing that dense curtain sweep across the River from the elevated vantage of Fox Tower, and drop the visibility to < 1/4 mile almost immediately was unworldly ... 

I was looking south while suffocating from exhaust when about 10 miles due south was getting 2"/hr. You could see it as it was backlit a bit too from the sun. Just this curtain. A little different from what you speak of, but similar idea I suppose.  Like I said, after what happened in the 6 weeks prior, that was pure greed taking over, so I shouldn't have gotten too worked up over it. 

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems like every big fish is cold nowadays....not too many of those heavy, wet crushers, where you have the sharp gradient near the coast. You would think that there would be more of those given climate change, but there seems to be less.....or maybe they are just rain now-

They will be back. Your classic 128 on inside rain and 495 paste jobs. They'll be back. "Christina..."  will be back to my dismay. :lol:    

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems like every big fish is cold nowadays....not too many of those heavy, wet crushers, where you have the sharp gradient near the coast. You would think that there would be more of those given climate change, but there seems to be less.....or maybe they are just rain now-

Mm... I dunno - I wonder if climate change is taking those marginal events and making 'em more rain - 

I've posed supposition over recent years that our "flop direction" is more apt to cat paws than parachutes in the past 5 years - ...just wonderin

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was looking south while suffocating from exhaust when about 10 miles due south was getting 2"/hr. You could see it as it was backlit a bit too from the sun. Just this curtain. A little different from what you speak of, but similar idea I suppose.  Like I said, after what happened in the 6 weeks prior, that was pure greed taking over, so I shouldn't have gotten too worked up over it. 

I was living on the beach in the 80s looking out over the ocean at back-lit towers while 12 miles away at BID they were getting absolutely pounded with a 8 to 12 ocean storm. More frustrating than changing to rain

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was living on the beach in the 80s looking out over the ocean at back-lit towers while 12 miles away at BID they were getting absolutely pounded with a 8 to 12 ocean storm. More frustrating than changing to rain

I can say that the vast majority of my frustrating weather experiences are from subsidence/whiffs, rather than rain....I think 12/96 is really the only one that stands out in my memory. My scars are littered with stories of exhaust, though.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems like every big fish is cold nowadays....not to many of those heavy, wet crushers, where you have the sharp gradient near the coast. You would think that there would be more of those given climate change, but there seems to be less.....or may they are just rain now-

12/1-3/19, 3/7/18, and 2/13/14 were a few in the last 5-6 winters that were tough along the coast that were 12"+ inland.

• Like 1

Maybe an example of GW or whatever it is .. flopping marginal events toward wet more so could be that big nor'easter in March 2018 ...

That's the one where the GFS kept setting up the region with 39/31 F,  with 3" of QPF at ORH.  We were thinking it was impossible to sustain that WB gap with all those parametrics in play,  thinking that would be the model's typical BL thermodynamic problem ... and it would probably be 33 F glue.   But ... what happened?  It saturated alright!  at 35/35 with cat paws in a flood watch. 

That storm moved away SE out into the Atlantic because of a -NAO western limber too - showing how useful that NAO was at supplying a Nor'easter with cold. Ugh. Heh, I guess it was March - it's getting late.   But we also had a thick pasty pruner event with power hiccups a week later at more of a 32 F proper spring blue. 

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Maybe an example of GW or whatever it is .. flopping marginal events toward wet more so could be that big nor'easter in March 2018 ...

That's the one where the GFS kept setting up the region with 39/31 F,  with 3" of QPF at ORH.  We were thinking it was impossible to sustain that WB gap with all those parametrics in play,  thinking that would be the model's typical BL thermodynamic problem ... and it would probably be 33 F glue.   But ... what happened?  It saturated alright!  at 35/35 with cat paws in a flood watch. 

That storm moved away SE out into the Atlantic because of a -NAO western limber too - showing how useful that NAO was at supplying a Nor'easter with cold. Ugh. Heh, I guess it was March - it's getting late.   But we also had a thick pasty pruner event with power hiccups a week later at more of a 32 F proper spring blue. 

That storm hurt, I was hopeful for a flip-over for a few hours with such a strong storm.

46 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That month is the most recent where our area got dumped on (37" in Farmington) while points south were a tiny bit too warm (PWM 3.7").

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

12/19 was powdery, though...anyway, the rest are more MECS, than HECS. I'm talking like the 3/01, 12/92 of the world.

3/01 wasn't pasty either until maybe you got onto the beaches....really only Dec '92 or April '97 was in terms of a HECS.

I was more listing storms that had ptype issues on the coast that hammered inland.

A HECS paste job is a rare unicorn.

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

3/01 wasn't pasty either until maybe you got onto the beaches....really only Dec '92 or April '97 was in terms of a HECS.

I was more listing storms that had ptype issues on the coast that hammered inland.

March 2001 was def wet for a time in Wilmington...but you are right, usually the mechanics that drive that type event include arctic HP.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

True even when we lived in NNJ.  Of the 7 big (18-24"+) storms 3/56 thru 2/61, only the 3/58 dump was paste and none had p-type issues.  2/61 got into the upper 20s but the other five had temps 10-25.  Same for big storms in 64 and 67, and even with the near-30 peak during 2/69's Mayor Lindsey storm the event was all powdery.  Biggest paste job we've had in Maine was 3/22-23/2001 with 16" of fir-top breaking snow while Eustis had 34".