Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

Still have some pack left
20210122_072242.thumb.jpg.f775229b4314d1f36599b9cd3693217e.jpg
Looks good. The warmer temps yesterday helped to compact and densify that Tuesday dumper. Still has a little give to it under the boot and lost a bit of it too, but its still all gravy over the original pack building the past three plus weeks now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

Looks good. The warmer temps yesterday helped to compact and densify that Tuesday dumper. Still has a little give to it under the boot and lost a bit of it too, but its still all gravy over the original pack building the past three plus weeks now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Most sustained 3" since winter 2013-14

10 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Coldest temp of the season so far this morning here at zero.  DVN also bottomed out at zero, and MLI at 2 above.  Still awaiting that first subzero temp at all locations.

Got down to 0 here.  Just like last year, waiting a long time to get that first below zero temp

• Like 1

Finally starting to snow after 10hrs of top down saturation.  

I honestly didn’t think we’d get the column saturated when I went to bed around 12, just couldn’t force a flake out of it. Must have been some magic in that old top hat as I woke up to a healthy inch/inch and a quarter snowpack refresher here NE of RFD.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I picked up a nice 2.3" of fluff early tonight.

You Iowa folks have done pretty well this season, and have had the hot hand in the sub. Enjoy your 6-10” storm guys. It’s been pretty bad down here, besides the fluke system on 1/3 which dropped a very isolated heavy amount. My father who lives 20 miles south of me has around 4” on the season I believe. 

It’s been pretty bad down here

PV will get weird in March and April as has been the new pattern and sag down to give you some cold air to connect with gulf moisture to give you guys some monster heavy wet storm totals that will melt in 24 hours or so. The days of being able to maintain any sort of a snowpack at 40 north are firmly over I’m afraid.

32 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

If nothing else, whatever this every drying, sheared wave drops will add to the snow over streak we have had. Had >1” of snowcover since December 29th. 

We've definitely made the most of the little amts that have fallen 

11 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

We've definitely made the most of the little amts that have fallen 

Yet another odd quirk of this Winter. Not counting today's snow at either place, Chicago has only seen 8.6" of snow this season but has had 21 days with 1"+ of snow on the ground (granted the peak death was 2"). Detroit has seen 16.3" of snow but has only had 14 days with 1" or more of snow on the ground.  As you head farther east of us the snowfall and snow cover days disparity widens even more. Your guys snow came right in time for the legendary Zzzz period. 

24 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yet another odd quirk of this Winter. Not counting today's snow at either place, Chicago has only seen 8.6" of snow this season but has had 21 days with 1"+ of snow on the ground (granted the peak death was 2"). Detroit has seen 16.3" of snow but has only had 14 days with 1" or more of snow on the ground.  As you head farther east of us the snowfall and snow cover days disparity widens even more. Your guys snow came right in time for the legendary Zzzz period. 

It hasn’t been a completely classic La Niña winter but this is a classic hallmark as you head further East 

• Like 2

DAY is just 0.2" away from reaching double digits this season after receiving 0.3", currently totaling 9.8" for this season. CVG now ties for the 5th least snowiest January on record with today's snowfall of 0.2", currently totaling 0.6" for this month.

Top 10 Least Snowiest Januaries for Cincinnati:
1. 0.2" - 1919
2. 0.3" - 1993
2 (T). 0.3" - 1934
4. 0.5" - 1973
5. 0.6" - 2021 (as of 1/24)
5 (T). 0.6" - 1931

7. 0.7" - 2020
8. 0.8" - 1983
9. 0.9" - 1924
10. 1.0" - 1969

5.8" here for the season. Only 4 days with an inch or more of snow cover, 3 in December and 1 so far in January. The deepest snow depth: 2" that only lasted for a few hours. 

It's just amazing the difference between here and points north and west. Many places haven't had much more snow than Northeast IN, but have held their snow cover an almost ridiculous amount of time.

8 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

If nothing else, whatever this every drying, sheared wave drops will add to the snow over streak we have had. Had >1” of snowcover since December 29th. 

Yeah it's been great.  I'm not a huge snow cover aficionado like Michigansnowfreak but it's been great having solid snow cover through the heart of the winter season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

Esm_NeZUwAEXjXr?format=png&name=large

Good, chip away at that severe drought area in the West. Chase season seems to be such a fine line between too dry = too much EML (everything cap busts) and too wet = not enough EML (storms go up in messy clusters at or before noon). Thankfully this Nina winter, despite its recent long dull stretch, does not seem to be trending toward the extreme Midwest dryness of 2011-'12.

• Like 1