Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 29-Jan 2 potential storm event

Brian D

18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The GFS has some similarities to what just happened.  A primary low tracking fairly far n/w with a secondary that forms and benefits the eastern sub.

Would actually be pretty comical to get missed to the east with a secondary twice in 1 

Storm tracks once established love to stay that way. Would be third system for Eastern Ohio, Pennsylvania etc.. Then another coastal on the 4th possible

4 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Storm tracks once established love to stay that way. Would be third system for Eastern Ohio, Pennsylvania etc.. Then another coastal on the 4th possible

I'm not really a big believer in the idea of storm tracks following what happened earlier just because, but that GFS evolution was funny.  It's not even a basic suppressed solution with a low running from the GOM to Philly or something like that, it's literally the exact type of evolution that we just had with a primary tracking nw and then another low.

Just now, Hoosier said:

I'm not really a big believer in the idea of storm tracks following what happened earlier just because, but that GFS evolution was funny.  It's not even a basic suppressed solution with a low running from the GOM to Philly or something like that, it's literally the exact type of evolution that we just had with a primary tracking nw and then another low.

Too many winters have jackpot areas that seem to get hit over and over. DTW a few years back had the snow magnet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cary67 said:

Too many winters have jackpot areas that seem to get hit over and over. DTW a few years back had the snow magnet.

You're never gonna perfectly distribute the snowfall.  Certain types of tracks will win out over others in a given winter... I'm not denying that.  That doesn't mean other tracks can't occur depending on the setup at a particular time. 

A great example of a track not locking in is December 2000.  We had a rocking month and then could hardly buy any snow most of the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

We'll see here shortly with the UKMET and then the Euro which way things are leaning. This past setup, I think the GFS having the support of the UKMET was key. It can be prone to some big swings but it's a solid model per verification stats, we just have less data available from it. If UKMET supports a GEM-like solution like the 12z run did and the ECMWF and EPS bumps again, we might be seeing a trend toward a GEM-like outcome.

Edit: and vice versa could be true too. Did notice that the spread of the GEFS members increased, which despite the op-like solution being still more favored could be a sign of lowering confidence in which scenario is more probable.

• Like 3

Again FWIW, a decent number of GEFS members show some sort of secondary low action. Definitely a noticeable change from earlier. 
Yep just noticed the same thing and edited my post to reflect that. The GEFS still appears to follow the op more than the EPS does, 30 members vs 51 on the EPS may have something to do with that. That said, seeing a few members go toward a strong secondary might be a sign.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1