Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

Just now, 40westwx said:

Wow... look at the difference on the EPS from 24 hours ago... 

00Z yesterday

00z today

If we see another trend like that.. we are looking at a legit CAD event.

@psuhoffman you were right about the models struggling.

Thanks for showing this comparison.  Weaker low + stronger high showing up in more frozen precip here.  If that stupid Bermuda High could move further east or weaken, this could be a legit event for some.

4 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Wow... look at the difference on the EPS from 24 hours ago... 

00Z yesterday

sfcmslp.conus.png

00z today

sfcmslp.conus.png

If we see another trend like that.. we are looking at a legit CAD event.

@psuhoffman you were right about the models struggling.

I agree that’s it’s struggling and my post was mostly for posterity if that coastal does come out of nowhere.  It was wild to see an OP spit out an almost snow event and have absolutely zero hits in the ensembles.  

14 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Canadian leading the way? 

Honestly it wouldn't be the first time in recent weeks the geps led the way. <weenie>Maybe because it is a Canadian model it is seeing the higher heights in HL better, eh.</weenie>

Eta: On a serious note, we are seeing the first wave push thru with the associated slp acting as a quasi 50/50 aiding in better confluence over the NE. This is evident with decent HP and CAD now showing up across guidance. The eps maps someone posted above are a clear example of models seeing confluence under the blocking and HP.

3 minutes ago, frd said:

No time for greater detail but, wow to the new AO and NAO ensemble forecasts. Really diving down, looking better and better for a SECS based solely on those 2 indicates moving forward into January. 

That PNA forecast would at least suggest not hostile even if not great

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Other than at onset for northern areas, the GEPS is a rain event for late week. That high is sliding off the coast as the precip comes in.

The wave for early next week is there, and verbatim its a glancing blow mainly for eastern areas, and it might be cold enough for frozen as modeled.

I’m not overly hopeful but wxusaf had a great point the other day. It’s always good when we can see the other side of a bad pattern before it even sets in. And I’ll add it’s always good when we are tracking, even low level threats, during the bad pattern. When I’ve gone back and read threads from good years like 2014 & 2015...there were dead periods and complaining (that should embarrass us looking back) even in those years. I’m not saying this is going to be a good year. But there are signs the base state isn’t totally awful this year. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m not overly hopeful but wxusaf had a great point the other day. It’s always good when we can see the other side of a bad pattern before it even sets in. And I’ll add it’s always good when we are tracking, even low level threats, during the bad pattern. When I’ve gone back and read threads from good years like 2014 & 2015...there were dead periods and complaining (that should embarrass us looking back) even in those years. I’m not saying this is going to be a good year. But there are signs the base state isn’t totally awful this year. 

My post was only in response to the discussion of the GEPS depiction for late week/early next week, specifically the post directly above mine.

I am pretty optimistic overall about the way things look on the means going forward at this point. The exact SSW impacts shall be interesting to see play out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Better ridging out west slowed the Southern SW down some.  It was pretty close to climbing the coast.  Precip gets to about Richmond.

Would be nice to see the slower trend continue....so close to a nice event with a transient high to the north as well.  As noted above...that ns system diving down would have phased if the ss was just a bit slower.

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Would be nice to see the slower trend continue....so close to a nice event with a transient high to the north as well.  As noted above...that ns system diving down would have phased if the ss was just a bit slower.

if they aren't going to phase it would be better if the NS system was just completely out of the way. 

Just now, SnowLover22 said:

if they aren't going to phase it would be better if the NS system was just completely out of the way. 

Need something to tug and encourage the low to climb the coast even if its not a clean phase....otherwise it's exit stage right.

Tho, the NW trend of systems over the past few weeks is something to consider/watch.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Need something to tug and encourage the low to climb the coast even if its not a clean phase....otherwise it's exit stage right.

Tho, the NW trend of systems over the past few weeks is something to consider/watch.

My guess would be this thing comes further NW without  any phase just based on the past several  weeks of trends.  Wether enough cold air is around is another question. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I respectfully disagree. The gfs a few days ago did outline a scenario that would work that was just southern wave with no or little NS interaction. You just need the southern wave at H5 to track in the right location. 

9 minutes ago, SnowLover22 said:

I respectfully disagree. The gfs a few days ago did outline a scenario that would work that was just southern wave with no or little NS interaction. You just need the southern wave at H5 to track in the right location. 

Absolutely.  I was just discussing that particular run.... 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic