Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

The new edition of the Euro weeklies think the west based -NAO is gonna be around awhile.

1612137600-O3f9RUroMQQ.png

The last couple times a SSW obliterated the SPV when the TPV was already weak the ensuing blocking regime lasted quite a while.  Even in 2018 when the SSW coupled it set off a -NAO for the next 2 months. Although that was much later so not a great comp. Still I doubt the TPV would recover quickly from this. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

here was the look in 2016 before our big storm:

image.thumb.png.73bd2ba917ea4fe7e82d9048921b38b8.png

This is what the GFS keeps advertising in the fantasy range: 

image.thumb.png.6569bc60b8df552c6500033bd2c88014.png

I may be just stating the very point you are trying to make, but the heights off the southeast coast in the second image are just too high. Any low that amplifies at all is gonna run well inland in that setup and then just fizzle out and scoot east when it hits that block.

19 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The only "not great" h5 panel I saw was the very end of the run, around Feb 12, and we know that that's worth.

Nice. That week 3 map you posted is fantastic. I think week 3 has some skill per the metrics, although anything beyond that is pretty useless I think. 

• Like 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Nice. That week 3 map you posted is fantastic. I think week 3 has some skill per the metrics, although anything beyond that is pretty useless I think. 

Yeah I think 2, maybe 3 weeks out from initialization gives a reasonable idea of where the pattern is heading. Hopefully it ends up close!

Euro Weekly control manages to have this 30 day H5 look...and not give DC even 1" of snow!  LOL

I only looked because despite a "weenie" H5 look the snow mean was pretty blah...about 6" in DC and only 10" up here...thats actually below climo snowfall for that 46 day period.  So I looked at the control for a clue...I guess if there are runs that manage not to give us ANY freaking snow with that look...lol

notaninch.thumb.png.adcacbf18385aee4fe70dfc293bff8a6.png

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Euro Weekly control manages to have this 30 day H5 look...and not give DC even 1" of snow!  LOL

I only looked because despite a "weenie" H5 look the snow mean was pretty blah...about 6" in DC and only 10" up here...thats actually below climo snowfall for that 46 day period.  So I looked at the control for a clue...I guess if there are runs that manage not to give us ANY freaking snow with that look...lol

notaninch.thumb.png.adcacbf18385aee4fe70dfc293bff8a6.png

Thanks Deb. :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Before anyone jumps off a bridge I do NOT take snowfall maps at range seriously....just was posting that for a LOL more then anything else.  Of course...come March if we had a west based NAO block all winter and DC doesn't get ANY snow...we can bump this post.  

Wonder if that’s ever happened. Sustained west based NAO block all winter and no snow.  Wouldn’t that be a kick in the pillbox

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Thanks Deb. :(

It's worth noting...the snowfall does NOT align with the H5 look at all...frankly the pattern to the snowfall mean matches a +NAO look more with the greatest +Snowfall anomalies from the upper midwest through Ontario and Quebec.  Those are places that usually are warm (for them) and dry in a west based NAO blocking pattern.  That said...I will take the H5 look over anything else 100 times out of 100 on a long range prog.  Guidance is way more likely to get the large scale longwave pattern correct then any of the synoptic and meso scale details that dictate snowfall.  But again...doesn't mean its not worth pointing out the oddity.  Let's hope its just an oddity.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic