• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
AMZ8990

50 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Back on this storm note, I'm really looking forward to @BuCoVaWx obs for this. If you can take some pictures please do. I think you are as close to the bull's eye as anyone on here. 

I'll be with the Kingsport crew tomorrow to see my folks for Christmas, hoping I can get home in time to see the changeover, but expect it may have already happened when I get home around 4. I will be driving down 81 as the changeover works it's way east and NE. 

I will definitely take some pics. Just hoping things pan out for this neck of the woods. Seems like Buchanan Co. Is horrible at receiving any kind of snow anymore. Even when it's calling for a decent amount, it's usually a cold rain lol. Really hoping all of us can cash in at some point this winter!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

I didn't even recognize you had posted them, but that's okay, no need to apologize at all, especially to me if my post came across as provocative. I sometimes glance at them to see where the amounts over the last four runs have trended, but I never pay attention to the actual amounts, if that makes sense. 

No worries. I had just dealt with a BS work email and was a little edgy. I think I probably took it in a way you didn't mean it. 

Christmas snow is serious business, lol! 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

That 12z ECMWF run has peaked my excitement. I have been cautiously optimistic but now I am in full hype mode. I feel conservatively 3" is now a safe call for KTRI.

Edit: Meh, maybe 2-3" would be the safe call.

If I could cash out now, I would take it.  Add in the cold and winds....going to fire up the wood stove and enjoy Christmas.  I am a little concerned about power if we were to get heavier snow along with wind and cold.  But hey, let's roll. 

• Like 3

Looking at the soundings after the initial band moves through, the 3km NAM soundings are extremely impressive over NE TN on the lingering snow. Snow growth layer drops very low, so terrain induced lift extends into DGZ. Very steep lapse rates extend through the DGZ (SFC CAPE of over 50 in some areas). This all suggests potential convective snow bands and very high snow ratio on the lingering snow by 03z and beyond.  Probably 20:1 or better ratios after 03z with some of those snow bands. Those are always some of my favorite things to watch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Which wx office handles Dickenson Co?

Yeah, its Charleston, Wv. We are on the tail end of their office. It kills me sometimes, we are right in the middle of the Jkl office, the morristown office, blacksburg and the WV office lol. We sometimes get left out of advisories.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

My guess MRX will upgrade watch areas to warning, and issue advisory for plateau, and central valley, maybe advisory for Southern valley but probably SPS, mostly out of concern for slick spots from black ice and dusting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adding to this for those unfamiliar or new: MRX generally issues its afternoon AFD, advisory/warning products, and forecast updates around 3:00 pm. For storms such as this, they do have a tendency to push a bit (I've seen as late as 4:00 pm).  

• Like 2

Santa came early...

Hancock-Hawkins-Sullivan-Johnson-Cocke Smoky Mountains-
Northwest Greene-Southeast Greene-Washington-Unicoi-
Northwest Carter-Southeast Carter-Blount Smoky Mountains-
Sevier Smoky Mountains-Lee-Wise-Scott-Russell-
214 PM EST Wed Dec 23 2020

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THURSDAY TO 4 AM EST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Rain changing to snow Thursday afternoon. A brief period
  of moderate to heavy snow is possible. Total snow accumulations
  of 2 to 4 inches possible with locally heavier amounts across
  the higher terrain. Temperatures will also drop below freezing
  very quickly Thursday afternoon and evening, with any wet
  surfaces rapidly freezing.

* WHERE...Southwest Virginia, northeast Tennessee, and the Smoky
  Mountains. This includes the Tri-City area.

* WHEN...From 4 PM Thursday to 4 AM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The cold airmass and breezy conditions will
  reduce wind chills across the higher elevations to 5 below zero
  to 5 above for Thursday night and Friday.

Edit to add: Map hasn't yet updated. Looks like they upgraded watch to warning and SPS to WWA except the furthest SW counties (incl. Hamilton). 

Edit 2: To recap: WSW for 2-4", locally higher depending on elevation; WWA for 1-3"; SPS remains for minimal accumulations and hazardous travel.

Edit 3: Map just updated. 

image.png.214abeedaceaeea2c69bb3f3c05a4b63.png

• Like 5

When did WSW criteria change? I thought it was 6" or more for our area? They are calling for 2-4??? This is straight from NOAA.GOV - A Winter Storm Warning indicates that heavy snow of at least 6 inches in 12 hours, or at least 8 inches in 24 hours, is expected. It can also be issued if sleet accumulation will be at least half an inch. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic