• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 5/6th major coastal/ west Atlantic cyclogenesis ...?

Typhoon Tip

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The SV and WB maps are in totally different galaxies. Not even close to each other. Crazy. 

Not sure why that is. It’s possible that sv sets snow algorithm to 0 when temp is >32. With that said, wb could end up being too high in places due to weaker forcing. 

30 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

0z     saturday  euro sounding  ar  7pm sat   has   BOST  at  37   Td  34...  thats NOT snow

at  30 hrs   Temp is  34  Td  is  28  and  its about to  END

26 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

no one looks at the   EURO  or  0 NAM  soundings 

DANGER WILL     WEENIE   ROBINSON DANGER

Let's revisit 7pm tomorrow to see if the changeover has not happened in Boston metro.

Haven't seen anyone here tonight say they are expecting the 10:1 snow maps.

Likewise, surely you're not claiming the SV maps you posted with 2-4" in ORH is likely.

5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Let's revisit 7pm tomorrow to see if the changeover has not happened in Boston metro.

Likewise, surely you're not claiming the SV maps you posted with 2-4" in ORH is likely.

No   of course not   SV is   often way too conservative....   ORH     70%  chance of 10" 
 50% of  15"     25%   chance  of 18"

• Like 1

JUST IN CASE    YOU DID NOT  NOTICE... since   the time I left ...  Oct  /Nov 2016   
we have NOT  have   BIG   widespread  northeast US snowstorms---

ya know like     RDU/ GSO     to   BOS     snowstorm   big  KU  event 

we have been  close  a few times    DEC   8-10  2017     Jan 3-5   2018   March 6-8  2018    DEC 12-13 2019  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yea, I usually use the eurowx maps that he does, but they are grossly underdone right now probaby because of what Ekster said above. Normally they are accurate, but the models struggle with dynamic cooling, which is why the soundings are so warm.

I would split the difference between those and the weenie 10:1 charts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

JUST IN CASE    YOU DID NOT  NOTICE... since   the time I left ...  Oct  /Nov 2016   

we have been  close  a few times    DEC   8-10  2017     Jan 3-5   2018   March 6-8  2018    DEC 12-13 2019  

I wish you would post more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DTWXRISK said:

So close with this one (right?) Not for south of DC but for a heck of a lot more people. 

Agree, would love for you to post more. 

I believe the EURO is correct for my area here in Franklin, NH at Webster Lake.  I live at 215 FASL right on the lake.  In October we had no more than a coating on my deck.  I am not expecting anything more than an inch or two from this storm. My lake is still fluid and at 46 deg not even close to 39 deg.  This is a giant heat sink that must be overcome to get to freezing for surrounding area.  I really hope the NWS reconsiders their warnings with these latest model runs.  This is causing anxiety during a already dire situation with COVID19.  My son who is studying meteorology and is from Texas has stated this major winter storm is going to happen and worse his professor is backing this based on certain models!    We need to look at all models and not cherry pic the ones that look good.  If you look at this from a numerical and astro physics along with statistical and probability point of view it just doesn’t add up.  There just isn’t enough cold air and dynamics to support this large volume of frozen precipitation forecasted, unless this converges perfectly which at this time is a very low probability.    A Model is a probability as well as a forecast at that given point in time not 24 hours later.  I understand we had a AN November but to hype our first marginal cold disturbance is wrong.  It gives future Mets the wrong perspective and teaches them to rely to much on models and not to look at the data and say does this make sense?  Math, physics statistics and probability theory must also be used and understood.  Does this probability event shown by a model make sense.  Forecasting by wish casting or model emotion does no good too the meteorology profession. I am sorry if I upset anyone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Weatherlvr said:

I believe the EURO is correct for my area here in Franklin, NH at Webster Lake.  I live at 215 FASL right on the lake.  In October we had no more than a coating on my deck.  I am not expecting anything more than an inch or two from this storm. My lake is still fluid and at 46 deg not even close to 39 deg.  This is a giant heat sink that must be overcome to get to freezing for surrounding area.  I really hope the NWS reconsiders their warnings with these latest model runs.  This is causing anxiety during a already dire situation with COVID19.  My son who is studying meteorology and is from Texas has stated this major winter storm is going to happen and worse his professor is backing this based on certain models!    We need to look at all models and not cherry pic the ones that look good.  If you look at this from a numerical and astro physics along with statistical and probability point of view it just doesn’t add up.  There just isn’t enough cold air and dynamics to support this large volume of frozen precipitation forecasted, unless this converges perfectly which at this time is a very low probability.    A Model is a probability as well as a forecast at that given point in time not 24 hours later.  I understand we had a AN November but to hype our first marginal cold disturbance is wrong.  It gives future Mets the wrong perspective and teaches them to rely to much on models and not to look at the data and say does this make sense?  Math, physics statistics and probability theory must also be used and understood.  Does this probability event shown by a model make sense.  Forecasting by wish casting or model emotion does no good too the meteorology profession. I am sorry if I upset anyone.

Enjoy all of the snow neighbor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Weatherlvr said:

Will see I hope this is one of those anomalies will let my son tell me I told you so:).   He will say see dad there is more than just physics, and math. Lol

I’m just to your east and it’s 35.7°. 46° would make you the warmest in NH. Even MHT is 43° in the UHI. Salisbury, Webster, and Franklin Falls are all 34/35°. btw Webster Lake is 400’ AMSL. 

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m just to your east and it’s 35.7°. 46° would make you the warmest in NH. Even MHT is 43° in the UHI. Salisbury, Webster, and Franklin Falls are all 34/35°. btw Webster Lake is 400’ AMSL. 

No that is my lake temp 46 deg currently it is 34 deg air temp currently.  Though lake temp will have an effect to drop below 32 deg since I live about less than 100ft from it.  Sorry for the confusion

Gotchya. The 46° lake won’t have much influence for you. I’m going to assume you got a lot of snow in Oct 2011. I assume you’re on the north side of the lake so that would be an offshore wind anyway. 30mph winds and heavy rates will just laugh at Webster Lake. ;)

Hopefully it all works out. Again, enjoy the storm. 

Just now, dendrite said:

Gotchya. The 46° lake won’t have much influence for you. I’m going to assume you got a lot of snow in Oct 2011. I assume you’re on the north side of the lake so that would be an offshore wind anyway. 30mph winds and heavy rates will just laugh at Webster Lake. ;)

Hopefully it all works out. Again, enjoy the storm. 

Wasn’t here in 2011 was in Amherst.  Yes got snow and lost power not fun.  Moved her in 20I8, and am on the SW side of the lake so no we get on shore winds very nasty.  I will enjoy the storm and let you know what happens.  Thanks for the reply’s.