• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

25 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

THE STORM HAS FIZZLED: As predicted, a CME (pictured below) hit Earth's magnetic field during the early hours of Dec. 10th (1:30 UT), but the impact did not cause a geomagnetic storm. Mid-latitude auroras are not likely tonight.

Boo!

I've never used this website, is it accurate?

It’s a very well run site. I’ve probably looked at it once a day for well over a decade. In fact I’ve actually subscribed to their Spaceweather phone service for probably 15 years now. It’s kind of stupid during solar minimum but that’s also the time when storms are the least likely and might be missed. (They will notify you 24/7 if northern lights are visible at your location) Plus they give you a lot of other updates.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DeltaT13 said:

It’s a very well run site. I’ve probably looked at it once a day for well over a decade. In fact I’ve actually subscribed to their Spaceweather phone service for probably 15 years now. It’s kind of stupid during solar minimum but that’s also the time when storms are the least likely and might be missed. (They will notify you 24/7 if northern lights are visible at your location) Plus they give you a lot of other updates.  

Just wanted to make sure, my buddy just called me we were going to head out to boonies to try to see them tonight. Thanks!

Breaks in the clouds this evening are allowing for some better viewing of the night sky. Unfortunately the geomagnetic storm expected tonight appears to be weaker than originally expected, and the "Northern Lights" don't appear to be as likely tonight for the area. For more details, visit: swpc.noaa.gov

image.thumb.png.91c1e76a4af8b36eaf9de76f40d97709.png

4 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Ok... Who knows clouds?  Would this be a “Fallstreak Hole”?  

67143533-345E-46DC-8293-373158899AA2.jpeg

630560E4-CBCA-45ED-A0A5-0E1B2E7FC94C.jpeg

EFDE5DDE-C308-4951-930E-A0715BC24FCA.jpeg

5529BACF-E088-454C-9ADC-58ACA03203C6.jpeg

931D52DB-F635-4369-88F8-B9C0B17F99AC.jpeg

782D3E56-28C0-44EC-B5E4-44E32B31E1E4.jpeg

Looks like a fallstreak hole to me.  There even appears to be virga falling out of that hole in the mid level cloud deck where the supercooled water droplets froze and precipitated.  
 https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_fallstreaks

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Heavy frost on the cars this morning. Woo-wee! Looks like winter...I have declined to discussing frost depths as if I'm a poster on the Mid-Atlantic subforum.

My frost is thicker than yours!

I'm actually in Queens for work yesterday and today, heaviest frost I've seen down here in a long time.