• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just an update that this potential is now gone.  The CME hit and did not spark any activity.  

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

weatherstory (2).gif

Clearing skies tonight will enable MOST of the area to be able to view the "Northern Lights". The best viewing will likely be across the Southern Tier and Finger Lakes region after midnight where the least amount of cloud cover is expected. Get away from artificial sources of light and allow your eyes some time to adjust to the darkness.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Coincides with GEFS, if anything that one is going further east. 

We'll see. NYC born and raised I've been burned countless times by mid range guidance showing a big hit in the mid range only to see it continually trend NW within 100 hours. Way too far out to say if it's for CNY, NYC, or the fish. WNY probably out of the game but there's plenty of time to see it play out. We'll know after the preceding storm is more ironed out as that's been all over the place on guidance as well.

• Like 1

What a boring pattern around here for most of Upstate for mid December. This should be prime time and we can’t seem to catch a break. Went to Ellicottville today and hiked to Spruce Lake up at 2330 feet. About 6” of dense pack there. Felt great to see a real snowpack although even down at the base of HV around 1600 feet there was only patches of snow. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This 100% confirmed? Was going to drive out somewhere to watch tonight. 

Yeah, its interesting.  The best time to view it would have been overnight last night (this morning).  The media and most people misunderstood the data from NASA and spaceweather.com.  The chance has already come and gone.  It's a shame that most people will be disappointed tonight without the proper info.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yeah, its interesting.  The best time to view it would have been overnight last night (this morning).  The media and most people misunderstood the data from NASA and spaceweather.com.  The chance has already come and gone.  It's a shame that most people will be disappointed tonight without the proper info.

How far were you from that Explosion last night in Gates?

21 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

How far were you from that Explosion last night in Gates?

About 2 miles.  I was still at work but drove over afterwards.  It was insane, the house (remnants) was still fully ablaze a half hour after it blew.  I guess people in my neighborhood felt their houses shake.  I can't believe how far you could feel it.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

What's the ideal setup/track for a big synoptic event between Syracuse and Buffalo?

In New England we talk about the 40/70 benchmark.

What's the rule of thumb here? Seems like a track from Pittsburgh to Albany would pay off for everyone pretty well.

I think you've got it figured out for the most part.  I like the lows that come out of the Ohio valley and move from Columbus to Scranton (Which is about the same as Pitt to Albany) with a ton of overrunning and then backend lake effect on a N wind for the South shore.  There are some pretty huge events that have taken that track.  Otherwise, we want a NorEaster that runs right up the Hudson Valley or even a touch further West.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I think you've got it figured out for the most part.  I like the lows that come out of the Ohio valley and move from Columbus to Scranton with a ton of overrunning and then backend lake effect on a N wind for the South shore.  There are some pretty huge events that have taken that track.  Otherwise, we want a NorEaster that runs right up the Hudson Valley or even a touch further West.  

Makes sense -- there are multiple ways to skin this cat, with either a more west/east track through central PA or a south/north track through Albany.