12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Upstate/Eastern New York

A shortwave trough will sharpen across the Central Great Lakes
Friday. A southwest wind will increase across the region as a
cold front approaches from the west. Cold air advection and
increasing moisture ahead of the front and shortwave trough axis
will provide support for the development of showers.
Temperatures will be rising into the 40s through the day so
mainly rain showers are expected. Snow showers are possible on
the Tug Hill where temperatures are slightly lower. While
widespread showers are likely, lake enhancement is expected
northeast of the Lakes into Friday night. The front will track
across the region into Friday night and winds will become
westerly with lake effect snow showers expected east of the
Lakes. Minor accumulations are expected at this time. Overnight
lows will fall to the upper 20s to low 30s

3 minutes ago, Flying MXZ said:

Where do you see that?  The NE forum is happy with the forecast pattern (at least the posters that know anything).

Hah!

New York, Mid-Atlantic, and some talk on NE as well. Lots of discussion about just a brief call down mid-month...and then possibly back into a warm-ish pattern.

When you look at where the forecasted indices are headed, it's not too exciting for winter. MJO isn't too much of an issue right now, thankfully. If we don't get the  -EPO, I don't know how we're going to get much cold air to lock in for even a little while. It'll just be a continuation of the crapola we've been having during the past several winters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hah!

New York, Mid-Atlantic, and some talk on NE as well. Lots of discussion about just a brief call down mid-month...and then possibly back into a warm-ish pattern.

When you look at where the forecasted indices are headed, it's not too exciting for winter. MJO isn't too much of an issue right now, thankfully. If we don't get the  -EPO, I don't know how we're going to get much cold air to lock in for even a little while. It'll just be a continuation of the crapola we've been having during the past several winters.

Positive PNA

Negative AO

Negative NAO

The clear skies are giving us a chance to take stock on the snow cover.  Looks pretty widespread and impressive but cool little localized areas stick out..  Looks like the Genesee valley never really got cold enough to accumulate much as they are already back to bare ground.  Easily one of the worst places to live in WNY if you're a snow lover.  

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

Capture.JPG.c6bb5daed829cade5d21a9f2f17841a2.JPG

• Sad 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

Why are all of you worrying? You average 100 inches.

Because that's an average, and over the last decade we've had a few seasons with only half that amount.  It's no longer a lock that we get crushed with snow anymore.  I understand even at 50% it's still a good season for many people outside this region, but we have higher standards after living around here our whole lives.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

The clear skies are giving us a chance to take stock on the snow cover.  Looks pretty widespread and impressive but cool little localized areas stick out..  Looks like the Genesee valley never really got cold enough to accumulate much as they are already back to bare ground.  Easily one of the worst places to live in WNY if you're a snow lover.  

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

I am sooooo soo soo so glad I didn't take the job in Geneva. I love that town...but their climate...meh.

The area, as I'm sure you know, from Dansville to Mt. Morris to Elmira and Corning is even worse and definitely not a winter lover's paradise!

29 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro just isn't the same anymore..

From feet to almost nothing in a matter of a few runs..It's not even that far out lol The old euro would of nailed it..

sn10_acc.conus (2).png

the old Euro seemingly wouldn't swing like this.  One of the last 4 euro runs might actually nail it, but we have no idea which one.  Not really time to give up on this for at least eastern NY areas...pattern looks good mid month still

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I was going to move to horseheads many years back until I realized they avg like 40" a year haha Thought I had a better shot on the jersey coast lol

horseheads is a snow hole. That area misses everything to the left (lake effect) or right (coastal huggers).  In the old days you could drive to Ithaca from there 30 minutes and get your snow fix but not so much these days.  

Last year they hit ~40 inches while everyone else was way under seasonal norms.  Figures that was a year you want to be there.  

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Because that's an average, and over the last decade we've had a few seasons with only half that amount.  It's no longer a lock that we get crushed with snow anymore.  I understand even at 50% it's still a good season for many people outside this region, but we have higher standards after living around here our whole lives.  

Want to switch locations ?:P

• Haha 1

Slightly ot but did anyone on here feel what seemed to be a rather loud explosion that shook many houses just after noon?  I guess it’s being attributed to a good sized meteor that broke up over the central ny through the Buffalo area, southern Ontario to about Detroit.  There have been reports of a fireball of course here we’re socked in with low clouds so we couldn’t see anything.

https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2020/7267

• Like 1

Just now, CNY_WX said:

Slightly ot but did anyone on here feel what seemed to be a rather loud explosion that shook many houses just after noon?  I guess it’s being attributed to a good sized meteor that broke up over the central ny through the Buffalo area, southern Ontario to about Detroit.  There have been reports of a fireball of course here we’re socked in with low clouds so we couldn’t see anything.

I was JUST going to post about this! I heard it. I've been home sick this week (not Covid) and I was like, "did somebody just jump on my balcony?!" There is talk of it maybe being a meteor hitting our atmosphere. Most likely

7 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

On the next episode of what's next in the year 2020. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I was JUST going to post about this! I heard it. I've been home sick this week (not Covid) and I was like, "did somebody just jump on my balcony?!" There is talk of it maybe being a meteor hitting our atmosphere. Most likely

My wife and I felt something that I thought could be a snowplow going down the road.  I would have been bummed if it was clear here and I missed it being in the house.

• Like 1