Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Upstate/Eastern New York

20 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Just like kbuf cooking the books literally over the summer

Except that was a temperature sensor error not human error lol. Maybe ROC would be better off with an automated snow sensor to measure like they do at the SNOTEL sites in the Sierra Nevada’s haha. Or pay Dave from ROC or Vortmax to do it so it’s accurate lol. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Except that was a temperature sensor error not human error lol. Maybe ROC would be better off with an automated snow sensor to measure like they do at the SNOTEL sites in the Sierra Nevada’s haha. Or pay Dave from ROC or Vortmax to do it so it’s accurate lol. 

I’m too lazy. I usually peak out my window and measure it against my dogs leg. I’m legitimately in awe of how so many of you guys do snow boards. Delta is the only one to do the job. Or Vortmax. But I know Delta keeps records. Someone at SUNY Brockport must do it. 

15 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m too lazy. I usually peak out my window and measure it against my dogs leg. I’m legitimately in awe of how so many of you guys do snow boards. Delta is the only one to do the job. Or Vortmax. But I know Delta keeps records. Someone at SUNY Brockport must do it. 

lmao. Yes Delta. How did I forget about him. Delta for snowkeeper of KROC LOL.

I stopped reporting to the NWS and just use my snowboard for my own records, it’s kind of half assed as I do it to CoCoRahS way and only clear it off once every morning between 6 and 7 am so my numbers may be a little lower with settling and compaction. I will go out and measure and clear off the board if we’re getting a moderate to heavy event where not clearing until morning would greatly skew the numbers. 

For example for today’s event I had a lousy .5” this morning then that melted and it snowed all day and accumulated and melted off and on but since I won’t clear it again until tomorrow morning I may only have 1 or 2” on the board by morning so my storm total may only be 1.5” or 2.5” when KBUF clears much more frequently allowing them to account for the melting and reaccumulating that takes place so they’ll definitely have a higher total than me in a wimpy event like this. 

9 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

lmao. Yes Delta. How did I forget about him. Delta for snowkeeper of KROC LOL.

I stopped reporting to the NWS and just use my snowboard for my own records, it’s kind of half assed as I do it to CoCoRahS way and only clear it off once every morning between 6 and 7 am so my numbers may be a little lower with settling and compaction. I will go out and measure and clear off the board if we’re getting a moderate to heavy event where not clearing until morning would greatly skew the numbers. 

For example for today’s event I had a lousy .5” this morning then that melted and it snowed all day and accumulated and melted off and on but since I won’t clear it again until tomorrow morning I may only have 1 or 2” on the board by morning so my storm total may only be 1.5” or 2.5” when KBUF clears much more frequently allowing them to account for the melting and reaccumulating that takes place so they’ll definitely have a higher total than me in a wimpy event like this. 

I do keep a pretty decent weather journal/log and live less than 2 miles from the airport so I can usually give a pretty good estimation of what's really going on.  That said, for all the shit we give Rochester, their numbers are probably pretty accurate by the book; but not representative of what most of us see.  As many have stated, the times that the snow actually gets measured plays a big part because of compaction.  If Rochester gets lucky and has snow fall closer to the measuring time, it ends up on the high end.  On the other hand, there may be some human error with people are measuring at incorrect intervals, or clearing it at the wrong times (Last year seemed to have excessively inflated totals).  Throw in the possibility for localize drifting  in the measurement area and suddenly we are 20 inches above surrounding towns. 

I'm not a huge stickler on measuring exactly to the book through most of the winter.  I'll clear it around 8am each day if not much is happening.  If we have a legit storm I will attempt to clear it at 6 hour intervals but I obviously cant (well I shouldnt) leave work to measure, and getting out of bed to measure once during the night isnt all that fun either (although I've done it a few times).  

In summary, I'll try to keep a good log this year but my numbers will always be more conservative because of my admitted longer durations between measurements.  

• Like 4