Enera

November Banter 2020

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I can’t believe some of you. 

Ok, I want 80”.

9 - 5” snows spread evenly - 45”

2 - 7.5” snows Dec and Feb

1 - 20” snow Jan

Is there enough magic in the moonlight for you to make that happen Ray Kinsella?

• Haha 1

OK, so let's go the other way...

(1) A winter like last year, with one really small event that you would have missed if you sneezed.  But with the enticing prospect of perhaps *something* on the horizon and even some cold air incursions to give a winter feel.

or

(2) An all-out true shutout, where it's late fall most every day and really no chance of any event at all.  Oh, and even with the warmth, no mosquitos as the crisp nighttime temperatures would have killed them off at least!

13 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

(1) A winter like last year, with one really small event that you would have missed if you sneezed.  But with the enticing prospect of perhaps *something* on the horizon and even some cold air incursions to give a winter feel.

or

(2) An all-out true shutout, where it's late fall most every day and really no chance of any event at all.  Oh, and even with the warmth, no mosquitos as the crisp nighttime temperatures would have killed them off at least!

Put another way, would you 

1) Prefer to have an eyeball removed with a screwdriver 

or

2) Prefer to have your thumbs sawed off by a chainsaw

or, which is probably the worst option of them all

3) Have your eyes glued open while Ji “narrates” a snow event

“The rates are ok (it’s 2”/hr) but we just don’t get real storms here anymore.” 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’d trade a summer day for a snow day. That’s just me. 

Ok...

Would you prefer:

1) A foot of cold powder snow

or

2) A foot of paste (heavy wet snow)

#2- Paste bomb- because it looks prettier sticking to trees, is easier for making a snowman and the snowballs it makes are deadly :devilsmiley:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

No

Here, all snow days 1-5 are made up. After that it’s every other day. Giving them a snow day only takes away a summer day.

And you should be banned... lol just kidding.. snow days are why I am here.. I used to get up in front of my 6th grade class and give weather forecasts when it was going to snow.. snow days are part of the mystical draw of snow :)

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok, I want 80”.

9 - 5” snows spread evenly - 45”

2 - 7.5” snows Dec and Feb

1 - 20” snow Jan

Is there enough magic in the moonlight for you to make that happen Ray Kinsella?

I absolutely prefer the big one over several significant storms.. their is something about "making history" that makes the HECS events special.. the build up is always better than the actual event.. the tracking on the big ones gives me something to look forward to.. sometimes when they are over.. I actually have a little bit of an emotional hangover.

kids should still get snow days. if we are treating holidays the same while doing school virtual, snow days should too. 

let them have their snow days! 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Put another way, would you 

1) Prefer to have an eyeball removed with a screwdriver 

or

2) Prefer to have your thumbs sawed off by a chainsaw

or, which is probably the worst option of them all

3) Have your eyes glued open while Ji “narrates” a snow event

“The rates are ok (it’s 2”/hr) but we just don’t get real storms here anymore.” 

A Clockwork Orange Eyes Open GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 40westwx said:

I absolutely prefer the big one over several significant storms.. their is something about "making history" that makes the HECS events special.. the build up is always better than the actual event.. the tracking on the big ones gives me something to look forward to.. sometimes when they are over.. I actually have a little bit of an emotional hangover.

Kinda agree, in general...as long as it's not a "one and done" kind of deal, if the rest of winter is at least OK too.  You're right, there's nothing like a HECS, tracking it days in advance and then experiencing it as it occurs!  For instance, the excitement before the Jan. 2016 blizzard was awesome, almost better than the storm itself (well, I won't go that far!).  A week out, the Saturday before it hit, all the models locked onto something significant.  It was just a matter of refining the details after that.  I got almost nothing done that week leading into it, awaiting the latest guidance each cycle.  And then...zero hour and the storm began!  Similar feeling for the other HECS events I have experienced in my time here over the years.

That said, a winter like 2013-14 was quite something to behold, even as it lacked an actual HECS.

21 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Hello Mrs. J!!  I hope you are well!  That's cool...snowing!!!  I've heard there are some good snow showers going on in my home town up in northeast Ohio.

Doing quite well. How are you doing?
Not quite ready for the snow here. But it is getting close to that time. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, mappy said:

andy told me you were going to use him -- glad he helped you out too!

speaking of, now that we have working electrical up front again, i've been internet shopping christmas decorations :D 

It’s addictive. Stop now. ;)

On 11/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, losetoa6 said:

Glad I could help!  Even Virginians need power :lightning:  . It was great meeting you Crump .You're a cool dude . Also ...Good luck with the 756 Led light up lawn  deer.

Tom has found his outdoor home. Again, ty!

A8556AD7-44B5-466F-B9F1-DBB12CE4F4BA.thumb.jpeg.fcf5771dd712ffab9227a36e8521d3aa.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, FXW176 said:

Tom has found his outdoor home. Again, ty!

A8556AD7-44B5-466F-B9F1-DBB12CE4F4BA.thumb.jpeg.fcf5771dd712ffab9227a36e8521d3aa.jpeg

I’m calling the HOA. 

• Haha 4

37 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

That’s exactly the first thing that I saw!

And clockwork is a good movie.

We watched it in my Intro to Film class fall semester of my freshman year and I said to myself “is this really what people watch out in the real world?”

:lol: 

13 hours ago, FXW176 said:

It's been a couple years since we've been able to put stuff out front. And, I have a nice new privacy fence around the pool area to decorate this year!! 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:03 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

OK, to throw another hypothetical out there.  In your "ideal" winter, pick 3 HECS-level storms that you would want to occur during that season.  For instance, pick from (just throwing some out there that I'm familiar with offhand, no particular order, there are surely others...)

(1) Feb. 1979 PD-1

(2) Feb. 1983 "Megalopolitan Storm"

(3) Jan. 1996

(4) Feb. 16-17, 2003 PD-2

(5) Feb. 5-6, 2010

(6) Feb. 9-10, 2010

(7) Dec. 18-19, 2009

(8) Jan. 22-23, 2016

I think I'd go with 5, 7, 8 myself.  But they're all great!

AND, for a bonus.  What MODERATE level events would you like to have, if you could pick 3 to occur in a winter?...too many to list, probably, and I'm sure I don't remember them all.  But offhand I'll state (in no order)...Jan. 30, 2010, Feb. 11-12, 2014, Mar. 16-17, 2014.  Mar. 5, 2015 would be close, too, and maybe should be on my list.

I'll order number 1, 2 and 5... for the rates. Seeing 4-6"+/hr snowfall rates for hours would something special to experience. 

18 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

or

Definitely number 2. I'm probably one of 5-10 people on this subforum who's actually been hoping for a complete shutout with warmth all winter this season. It's been known for a very long time that median snow totals are the best that snowlovers can reasonably hope for. With the La Nina and the potential of a stronger PV we should go for the record least snowfall. A repeat of the February 7th mini-tornado outbreak would be awesome! All that being said, if it becomes clear that a significant snow event is in the cards in the shorter range and rates look like they will be on the epic side (See my posts about December 19th) I'll root for it. 

Good morning.

II told the kids and wife to be ready for a road trip for the first significant snowfall of the season in the mountains and/ or great lakes (lakes would need to be 2 foot plus to make the drive)  

maybe next weekend?

Gotta admit...I've never been so disinterested in/unconcerned with long-range winter outlooks than I am this year. It just feels like the new regime we're in means that we can't rely on so many of the lessons learned in the last 50 years. Interesting exercise for the long-rangers, no doubt, but I just can't get into worrying about it.

• Like 2