• Member Statistics

    16,112
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Jerry Korkos
    Newest Member
    Jerry Korkos
    Joined
moneypitmike

October 30 Observation Thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I spent very little time on this because I have been consumed by the winter outlook. But I expected a region wide coating to 2", with some higher spots near 3".

I didn't make a map or anything....but if I had, I would give it like a D. 

Still early, you're just rounding into shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kdxken said:

Still early, you're just rounding into shape.

It’s like he just tossed a couple of innings in the first split squad game of spring training. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kdxken said:

Still early, you're just rounding into shape.

I don't even have my model packages yet....I just briefly glanced at Pivotal wx.

I knew there was some upside, but I did not expect anyone to get 7"...my call would have been better had I  put in the effort, but I still would have been low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Actually no, the 5” of snow cushioned my fall. ;)

Ha, hope you know I'm just joking.  Never thought you'd be railing on anyone who poo-poo'd a snow event ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Taking a fall in  N VT, OTOH, would have been fatal.

Ouch!  Depends what elevation you are at when you take the fall.  If it's in the valley, hope you fall onto one of the cars coming in from Mass on this Friday evening that still have snow on them LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weathafella said:

Looks like BOS final is 4.3.   Basically 4x the previous monthly record for October.

Should be enough to put Boston’s October down for more than 0.0 inches in the next 30 year climate averaging cycle! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, hope you know I'm just joking.  Never thought you'd be railing on anyone who poo-poo'd a snow event ;).

All in good fun man. Need to take advantage of the wins when I get them. Ha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think your area was about the se extent of the appreciable snows...

It might have been.  Historic event here, no doubt.  Never expected this.  Thought mangled flakes would have been about it.  Quite a wet storm overall too.  Think we ended up with around 2” of liquid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

All in good fun man. Need to take advantage of the wins when I get them. Ha 

An axis from Ginxy to you to Scooter is by far the most impressive part of this storm to me at this point.  That's truly awesome that the Advisory level snows made it that far southeast.

This was bigger than October 2011 for you right?  I think the period of return from IJD to TAN to BOS line has got to be pretty large.  Once in a lifetime type stuff?  Who knows these days though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Got about 3" here in Maynard. stuck to the trees nice, but not enough snow to cause tree damage/power issues.

Got about 4 here, another inch or two and we would have had some trouble, lost some branches but the trees are still ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

An axis from Ginxy to you to Scooter is by far the most impressive part of this storm to me at this point.  That's truly awesome that the Advisory level snows made it that far southeast.

This was bigger than October 2011 for you right?  I think the period of return from IJD to TAN to BOS line has got to be pretty large.  Once in a lifetime type stuff?  Who knows these days though.

Think we only had 1-2” here for that.  3-5” trounces that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowpack is still total powder and sparkling at this hour in the flood lights. It looks like a mid winter evening. 

My son had a blast shoveling and building a snow slide, lol

 

09538971-EFC8-4C44-BE5D-70DC6573940E.jpeg

103CE487-BA4A-4962-A075-3067E7B1D2F2.jpeg

AD126C65-BD4D-4200-9E7C-B8A1D664C923.jpeg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

An axis from Ginxy to you to Scooter is by far the most impressive part of this storm to me at this point.  That's truly awesome that the Advisory level snows made it that far southeast.

This was bigger than October 2011 for you right?  I think the period of return from IJD to TAN to BOS line has got to be pretty large.  Once in a lifetime type stuff?  Who knows these days though.

I think we got like 1-2” of slop at the end of the 2011 event, this blows that out of the water as bob said.

Just a hair under 5” here, which I would say is historic, and probably a once in a lifetime return rate.

Hell, this would be up there if it happened in November too.

Not to use to much hyperbole, but this is definitely a memorable event for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Also.... this is probably a historic event here. We’ve had a lot of anomalous storms over the last decade, and this should be right up there. May never see this again 

October 1979. That was probably the closest in your area

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think we got like 1-2” of slop at the end of the 2011 event, this blows that out of the water as bob said.

Just a hair under 5” here, which I would say is historic, and probably a once in a lifetime return rate.

Hell, this would be up there if it happened in November too.

Not to use to much hyperbole, but this is definitely a memorable event for me.

How does 3” in Taunton on Oct 10 compare to 5” on the 30th? Just curious how you’d rank the 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Snowpack is still total powder and sparkling at this hour in the flood lights. It looks like a mid winter evening. 

My son had a blast shoveling and building a snow slide, lol

 

09538971-EFC8-4C44-BE5D-70DC6573940E.jpeg

103CE487-BA4A-4962-A075-3067E7B1D2F2.jpeg

AD126C65-BD4D-4200-9E7C-B8A1D664C923.jpeg

That’s a spooky ghost there on the last pic lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

How does 3” in Taunton on Oct 10 compare to 5” on the 30th? Just curious how you’d rank the 2.

When was that? 3” on Oct 10th?  This has to be top 5 for date and amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.