• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2020 Discussion

Bostonseminole

You know ... as an afterthought on the PNA - definitely want to see the EPS take on the mode/modality of the PNA because if looking back along that curve... smoothing out bumps and do-dads ...the 5-week trend, all the way back to mid October, is up.  

It may be doing so too gradually to 'ignite' a larger -scaled correction event ... or, just not enough to 'trigger' one ( yet )...  like when the it 'spikes' and so forth. But, that's interesting long term trend line there...  

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know ... as an afterthought on the PNA - definitely want to see the EPS take on the mode/modality of the PNA because if looking back along that curve... smoothing out bumps and do-dads ...the 5-week trend, all the way back to mid October, is up.  

It may be doing so too gradually to 'ignite' a larger -scaled correction event ... or, just not enough to 'trigger' one ( yet )...  like when the it 'spikes' and so forth. But, that's interesting long term trend line there...  

I don't think the DM period will be heavily RNA, as many suspect.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think the DM period will be heavily RNA, as many suspect.

well...I'm not sure it really can if the PNA is doing that ... but it is just the GEFs... ha

but anyway, I forgot about the weird events around Halloween with that ordeal ...may not be a corrective event but, the cold loading into midriff Canada and ultimately servicing the cold for that snow event was delivered by a PNA mode change as I just suggestively annotated ...and it seems this next modality is well agreed upon in said GEFs ensemble members/mean ...  

It's interesting -

• Like 1

As someone from the Mid-Atlantic, I do find it a little surprising and somewhat pathetic how quickly some of you guys have thrown in the towel and fallen into misery over the winter.

We have spent many years watching you guys steal victory from the jaws of defeat with late-blooming storms that totally screw us.

It seems way too early to throw in the towel in SNE if weenies in MD, VA, and even damn NC of all places are still holding out hope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, radarman said:

I'm just happy the GFS and GEFS got a little more progressive with the system around Thanksgiving.  Let's get that thing out of here by early Thurs morning.  A lot of folks hoping to eat dinner outside.  We'll worry about snow later on.  That 4" in Oct has us up on climo for like another 3 weeks lol.

Meanwhile the Euro says pack em inside

ugly

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

As someone from the Mid-Atlantic, I do find it a little surprising and somewhat pathetic how quickly some of you guys have thrown in the towel and fallen into misery over the winter.

We have spent many years watching you guys steal victory from the jaws of defeat with late-blooming storms that totally screw us.

It seems way too early to throw in the towel in SNE if weenies in MD, VA, and even damn NC of all places are still holding out hope.

They always have hope down there. Rookies who don’t see snow .Up here we know when to hold, when to fold. Seasoned vets who have had snow 

• Weenie 3

12 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am still bitter from the year where you stole our snow. (2011/12?). 

A year that will live in infamy. 
Never forgive, never forget. 

Just now, Cold Miser said:

2009-2010 you're thinking of.

Anyways, EPS are still showing the 11/29 system as kind of cutter-ish, but it is offering another chance with the mean trough still over the east around 12/1. So there might be a window somewhere in tha 11/29 to 12/2 time span....more likely for NNE than down here, but we'll see if it's still showing up as we get closer.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We have some pretty pessimistic posters here that offset the optimists. We had a whole bunch of people whining and canceling winter in January 2013 and January 2015....both winters where  I had over 100" of snow, LOL.

After last year though, I think even hopelessly optimistic posters like Kevin are becoming skittish.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

2009-2010. I don’t even feel bad. We had such a crazy run, that for me......I could care less about that season. And we still had two double digit events locally. 

• Like 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

We had a major damaging severe wx event Sunday night, and you were nowhere to be seen. Many were very worried . You and Slot with Covid

It's been a bit rough...stressed with work and my girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago. I was actually going to make a thread here last Thursday or Friday for Sunday but forgot. I was down in Bethel for the event and the winds were quite strong...I would estimate gusts were easily 50-60 mph. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

2009-2010. I don’t even feel bad. We had such a crazy run, that for me......I could care less about that season. And we still had two double digit events locally. 

That winter won't be repeated again in any of our lifetimes, so need to worry. But I can imagine it was traumatizing to watch. If I was still in MD and had to watch VA Beach get three HECS while I got high cirrus it would be hard to take.

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

That winter won't be repeated again in any of our lifetimes, so need to worry. But I can imagine it was traumatizing to watch. If I was still in MD and had to watch VA Beach get three HECS while I got high cirrus it would be hard to take.

You got smoked where you are in February in Randolph. More than you could ever imagine lol.
I mean at the time when you had the second KU in Feb it was tough then, but I don’t have the PTSD like some have here from that year...especially those in NNE lower elevations. I know Ray hated it too, but maybe I’m just getting older and realizing how spoiled we’ve had it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Canada is void of cold, but get the PNA up a bit and that could work later into December. 

B9A991C9-C2B8-482B-8C30-C4B70941FEAE.png

A higher PNA down the line might teleconnect to more of a decent -NAO if it happened. Those higher heights lurking in Quebec are kind of waiting for a wave-break.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

A higher PNA down the line might teleconnect to more of a decent -NAO if it happened. Those higher heights lurking in Quebec are kind of waiting for a wave-break.

Yeah I was wondering about that. Get one storm to bomb and find a ridge up there and maybe it helps for anything afterwards.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Why? So you can risk cutters?

If it's a Yukon-based -EPO that is phasing with the PNA ridge, I;ll take it (happened at times in 2015)...but I will decline a massive ridge over the Bering Strait or W AK if I can have a generic +PNA ridge instead.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's just snow.

It's part of it ... meh I don't think it's really about 'snow' as much   ... not anymore.  It's about the rush and possibility. Seriously have noticed that in-storm tenor change .as though the run up and the modeling was what folks wanted to savor in - once it's snowing ...the fervor seems reduce. 

Folks want and perhaps per deprivation ...need, a kind of 'giddy' mood surge, breaking toward joy happiness ... and when they set the coffee or water down in the morning and see a thread blown up by 12 pages over night, and big wound bomb on the charts ... they don't abuse their children that afternoon and evening...  

Kidding, but it's more about 'excitement' in general?   There's even a kind of dependence on it...   

• Like 2