• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Stoverseed
    Newest Member
    Stoverseed

Major Hurricane Delta

217,232 customers without power in LA. That is slightly over 10% of the entire state. Of course some may still be out since August.

image.thumb.png.69cbfdbf6df9f5f08a6836a2fec4bc88.png

Looks like over 200K customers in Texas affected by Delta as well.

25 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Still blows my mind we had Laura and Delta hit within 15 miles of eachother in less than 2 months. If 2020 didn't already look apocalyptic enough for the people living there

how about a category  2 and a 3 making landfall within a mile apart in 3 weeks ???

Actually Delta has laid a pretty big footprint of recorded hurricane force gusts stretching from eastern TX through central LA. KBPT (Beaumont/Port Arthur) gusted above 80 mph as did KARA (Arcadiana Regional Airport), and plenty of sites in between. 

New Iberia/Arcadiana Regional Airport has been reporting 80+ mph gusts at the top of the hour for three straight hours now, including two without any precipitation. Other locations have also reported hurricane force gusts without any precipitation.

This half-a-cane has a transport mechanism for pockets of upper level winds to reach the ground even without any precip. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

New Iberia/Arcadiana Regional Airport has been reporting 80+ mph gusts at the top of the hour for three straight hours now, including two without any precipitation. Other locations have also reported hurricane force gusts without any precipitation.

This half-a-cane has a transport mechanism for pockets of upper level winds to reach the ground even without any precip. 

There's definitely still strong winds in the back half of it, but I wonder if there's any kind of "eyewall" left to really bring the winds down. I remember the second half of Irene which was eaten away from dry air still having some strong wind but it not lasting long, and the sun being out with 50-60mph wind still. Apparently the same happened with Gloria up here. 

28 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Subsidence? Turbulence? Overturning of the pbl as it switches to the nocturnal scheme? Dry microbursts driven by ingest of dry air? Could also be similar to other hurricanes where the segment over water maintains some intensity for a bit even when the center has moved inland. You've also got strong mid level and upper level winds, which at this point could play a role both in upper level mass transport and in the vertical wind currents in the storm. Not really sure which of those it is, if any, just sort of thinking out loud. Your basic physics for this requires sinking air to transport the momentum/energy from the 925-850mb layer to the surface, so just thinking of what would do that without precip. 

MU

• Thanks 1

Appears from power outage map the impacts were felt over a fairly broad area, even if obviously less severe than Laura. 30% of East BR Parish has no power, so does 30% of Jefferson County in Texas.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

LOL seems like there's always a port-a-potty going down anywhere there's winds over 50knots. :D

Imagine being in there and a sudden gust tosses it over!  Ugh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, VortAmplifier said:

20-25MPH sustained 35-40MPH wind gusts lower-upper 850mb winds 50MPH could mix down in the strong cells... These are the remnants coming in NYC Metro Area on Monday next week ; rainfall 2-3in

USA_GUSTM_sfc_048_35-40MPH.jpg

Screenshot_2020-10-10 NAM 32km Model - Tropical Tidbits_REMNANTS_DELTA.png

wow

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VortAmplifier said:

HWRF on hints of 130kt equivalent winds ; 12km NAM not so bad gave me estimate on 120kt+ ; GFS something is wrong w/ this model , Cancun really bad performance ; GFS kind of accurate on rainfall in the range 8-10in up to 12in over the storm surge area ; 32km NAM not so bad as well hints on those strong winds 130kt+ ; breaking poles on equivalents of 200MPH over a short burst of time just to break the pole and leave a whole area w/ no power (this ideas on overall inspection of the model output)

Something to observe on the next severe weather (Severe Thunderstorm Warnings) events are wind gusts on IWM (NAM), 850mb winds, 10m winds over a line of thunderstorms coming from PA ; Trenton... I want to see what high resolution NAM does on these features... Basically Tropical Tidbits + IWM combo.

HWRF wins on this one... NAM is pushing (better) but I think HWRF is the best on this one...

The euro I thought was quite good on placement early on, no? It ended up correcting East a bit, but was much closer originally than other models.

It was off on intensity in the Caribs but performed decently once in the GOM

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, hlcater said:

I remember when people, including myself, thought this was gonna rip a hole in space-time in the W Carib. Fun times.

Well the models will have a difficult time with scientific predictions when based on actual meteorological data and precise formulas when a secret man-made influence is peeing on the eye walls. Poor computers, trying their best to make sense of what went wrong. Then they have to reprogram everything they learned not counting for a magical WTF which ultimately makes the models off-base putting many lives in risk.

I know, this post will disappear from this thread quickly. ;)

As a side adventure I may poke around and investigate the covert weather modification idea. The money trail is where to start, dozens of names have been thrown into the mix over the past decade or two. May be some members on this forum who know but cannot speak. Don't be afraid. I'll be cautious what I share until there is something to mention, or will say I have found nothing at all.

:lol:

On 10/9/2020 at 8:28 PM, BombsAway1288 said:

Gonna guess that this will be the highest reported reliable wind measurement we get from Delta. Weakening will only accelerate from here on out.

Unless some late reports come in of course

This one beats it by little:

image.thumb.png.56bdd7d629505e806fe85bfcda36b789.png

This is the one we would like to see. In time it may show up, Laura's winds eventually displayed.

• Cameron
    Special Note: Note that for users without the appropriate data license, contractual obligations prevent live display of wind speeds over 50 mph during tropical storms and hurricanes. Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like additional information.

Anybody have an appropriate data license here?

image.thumb.png.93a90f86a7b94d2429c1e1cfbc75cf73.png

EDIT:

971 MB at 5:36 PM. At least they give us that.