• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hubric
    Newest Member
    hubric

September Discobs 2020

Some rain with the front last night down here on the eastern shore. Windy and bay is rough. Gonna feel cooler but the water is warm

• Like 1

High dew points set to return later this week. I imagine a sustained cooler pattern may not manifest itself until later in the month, or beyond.  

96F826FF-E8D3-400C-8E44-52D1A15E7733.gif.19b188e59a26176ff2b1628e25748944.gif

Windows opened! Happy weekend friends 

• Like 5

Gorgeous day. Got out birding today with fall migration well underway.  Saw my first kestrel in years, they used to be so common. Also red-headed woodpeckers and several warbler species. 

Now off to my sons baseball game.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Gorgeous day. Got out birding today with fall migration well underway.  Saw my first kestrel in years, they used to be so common. Also red-headed woodpeckers and several warbler species. 

Now off to my sons baseball game.

We are lucky to have red headed woodpeckers daily  at our feeder. 

• Like 1

Looking fwd to tracking possibly the best setup yet for repeated days of really moist flow and convection starting Wednesday.  Hopefully score a couple flush storm hits imby . It's been a pretty abysmal summer for solid t+l storm hits and could use more rain here. Those with 15-22 inches of qpf the past month ignore this post :whistle:

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Plenty around here. When I see them I am happy they are pecking on a tree and not my house.

Yeah. Unfortunately, we have an idiot woodpecker. He/she starts pecking at the metal flashing at frickin 6am in the morning. A few years ago, I thought it was someone trying to break into our house. lol  Then I later figured out it was a wayward woodpecker pecking on things it shouldn't.  lol 

1 hour ago, adelphi_sky said:

Yeah. Unfortunately, we have an idiot woodpecker. He/she starts pecking at the metal flashing at frickin 6am in the morning. A few years ago, I thought it was someone trying to break into our house. lol  Then I later figured out it was a wayward woodpecker pecking on things it shouldn't.  lol 

Yeah they peck sometimes to attract a mate. Its called drumming.

In my case, having a log home, they were pecking for carpenter bee larvae. Destructive one-two punch. Luckily I have that situation under control with bee traps.

Just to nitpick the weather today- a bit of a breeze would have made for perfection. In the absence of that, I did sweat a little in the sun. :sun:

Currently 74.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking fwd to tracking possibly the best setup yet for repeated days of really moist flow and convection starting Wednesday.  Hopefully score a couple flush storm hits imby . It's been a pretty abysmal summer for solid t+l storm hits and could use more rain here. Those with 15-22 inches of qpf the past month ignore this post :whistle:

Those 15 inches of rain were pretty boring. Not a lot of thunder this summer from what I can remember.

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

In my case, having a log home, they were pecking for carpenter bee larvae. Destructive one-two punch. Luckily I have that situation under control with bee traps.

Sometimes there’s something behind that flashing that they are after. One sure way to get woodpeckers hammering your house or decking is to let carpenter bees cohabitate with you. 

I’ve always heard that a fake owl prominently positioned outside will keep woodpeckers away.

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

Oh and those bee traps are pretty amazing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Sometimes there’s something behind that flashing that they are after. One sure way to get woodpeckers hammering your house or decking is to let carpenter bees cohabitate with you. 

I’ve always heard that a fake owl prominently positioned outside will keep woodpeckers away.

I never had any luck with that keeping birds away. Every couple years I get a male cardinal or bluebird that fights with its refection in my windows, and they are persistent. Fake owls never worked. What did work are those inflatable "beach balls" with the big, exaggerated eyes all the way around, and a shiny ribbon that hangs from the bottom. Hung those up and they spin and move in the breeze, and instantly no birds banging into my windows and shitting everywhere. Problem is they are so obsessed that they look for another reflective surface- like the mirror on your car or even a piece of chrome trim lol.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I never had any luck with that keeping birds away. Every couple years I get a male cardinal or bluebird that fights with its refection in my windows, and they are persistent. Fake owls never worked. What did work are those inflatable "beach balls" with the big, exaggerated eyes all the way around, and a shiny ribbon that hangs from the bottom. Hung those up and they spin and move in the breeze, and instantly no birds banging into my windows and shitting everywhere. Problem is they are so obsessed that they look for another reflective surface- like the mirror on your car or even a piece of chrome trim lol.

That’s funny. You and I have had similar experiences. I had a woodpecker, big one with the Woody type red head that started hammering my windows and French doors. Then he started drilling the side mirrors on my truck. I finally was able to get rid of him after I ran him off enough times. Guy was impressive though. When he cranked it up it sounded like a jackhammer.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s funny. You and I have had similar experiences. I had a woodpecker, big one with the Woody type red head that started hammering my windows and French doors. Then he started drilling the side mirrors on my truck. I finally was able to get rid of him after I ran him off enough times. Guy was impressive though. When he cranked it up it sounded like a jackhammer.

Yeah I have those too. One slammed into one of my large right triangle windows and flopped down on the deck a few years back. Thing was huge and I wasn't sure it was going to live. I left it alone and checked on it a couple hours later and it looked better. When I walked towards it, it hopped up and flew to a nearby tree.