Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

I see th
I see that we're  heading back to the marginal temp regime again. The dreaded 33 and rain forecast.

Thursday Night
Rain, mainly after 11pm. Low around 33. Southeast wind 3 to 5 mph. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Went up to Greyson Highlands today and it was absolutely insane. No clue how much snow they got but it varied from 4-6" to drifts up to my waist (2-3ft+). Temp barely broke 20 and winds were HOWLING. Gusting easily to 40MPH and probably 50+ in the gaps. Difficult hiking conditions, to say the least. Absolutely beautiful though. The wild ponies didn't seem to mind.

I'll upload a few more photos when I can get them down to the allowed size without blurring them so much.

144704810_3904463549585728_1185134063675476635_o.jpg

• Like 11

I noticed it was a strong inversion, if you were around or below 3k it was upper teens and if you were above that it was 30’s.  32-33 at the weather station closest to my house and same elevation (3300’-ish) and 18 down in Hazelwood around 2900’. Y’all reel in the weekend storm, my dogs will be happy even though I’ll miss out on it.

• Like 2

Inversion was impressive overnight. My morning low was 18 here in town. Clouds are back and even a chance of a wintry mix overnight. The upcoming pattern is looking promising for multiple snow chances across the Mountains. Interesting to see a Warning criteria event possibility for Saturday night into Sunday. 

You ain't kidding. From temp has steadily risen from 19.9° at 10pm to 40.4° at 10am. 20° overnight.

This Sunday sure looks interesting. I was hoping for some sunshine to melt some of this today, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

a4405f9f00028a33bfa8efc891c3e21c.jpg&key=3cf2d416a9dd49529bcc8877a88c857f137f8c920541c2e00ed3f3a57f6dcee8

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

You ain't kidding. From temp has steadily risen from 19.9° at 10pm to 40.4° at 10am. 20° overnight.

This Sunday sure looks interesting. I was hoping for some sunshine to melt some of this today, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

a4405f9f00028a33bfa8efc891c3e21c.jpg&key=3cf2d416a9dd49529bcc8877a88c857f137f8c920541c2e00ed3f3a57f6dcee8

You are gonna be waiting on propane til Mid-March at this rate 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Believe it or not they delivered Monday! First time that I've seen them use snow chains.

That’s good. We have gas logs (that I can’t get to light) and had never planned on getting our tank filled when we moved in two years ago but Blossman did it anyway even though we told them not.  So I have had a full 200 gallon tank ever since. Plan is to add a gas line to the kitchen and upgrade to a gas stove when we get a new one, love cooking on a gas stove. 

That’s good. We have gas logs (that I can’t get to light) and had never planned on getting our tank filled when we moved in two years ago but Blossman did it anyway even though we told them not.  So I have had a full 200 gallon tank ever since. Plan is to add a gas line to the kitchen and upgrade to a gas stove when we get a new one, love cooking on a gas stove. 
You probably haven't purged all of the air out of the line. I have to do that before I can get the pilot lit on my logs.

22 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

You probably haven't purged all of the air out of the line. I have to do that before I can get the pilot lit on my logs.

I actually think it’s my pilot igniter assembly. I’ve purged per directions and can hear/smell gas while trying to light it and will occasionally get a spark but it’s not consistent in doing so.  Just need to bite the bullet and have them come service them as it does give us back up heat if we lose power or the heat pump stops working like the other week (dang fuse I didn’t even know existed on the handler unit popped).

7 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

I actually think it’s my pilot igniter assembly. I’ve purged per directions and can hear/smell gas while trying to light it and will occasionally get a spark but it’s not consistent in doing so.  Just need to bite the bullet and have them come service them as it does give us back up heat if we lose power or the heat pump stops working like the other week (dang fuse I didn’t even know existed on the handler unit popped).

If you have an air compressor try blowing the logs and ignitor off really good.

• Like 3

Redundancy is a good thing. You can always light the pilot with a match or fireplace lighter in a pinch until you get the igniter.

• Like 1

Thanks for the air compressor tip, I’ll try that when I get home.  It’s a pain to deal with due to having to take a big glass piece off to get to the logs and thus mess with the igniter and I was so frustrated the other week because it was making me late from heading out of town for work.  I started to use a lighter to light the pilot while I was in there that day but honestly messing with gas always leaves me a little nervous.  Same with electricity.  Guess the safety part of my engineering design class back in college is seared in my head, some of the pics from not taking proper precautions...:stun:

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic