Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

44 minutes ago, Phelps said:

Not to skip over today's event but any chance the Wednesday storm could be snow for the highest elevations?  We've got a gulf low tracking up the coast and some cold air nearby.  Just glancing at the global though and it doesn't look cold enough.  Can't tell how close we are to something good.  

Close but yet so far away....

• Like 3

Obviously the CAD regions in the area look to at least get some ice and mixed precipitation on the front end of this thing. Its hard to tell how long the cold air will hang onto those locations.  I fully expect that all will change to rain then we get wrap around upslope snow for the favored areas. This would be an awesome snowstorm for us if we just had the cold air. Looks like we are going to get another 1 to 2 inches of rainfall.... Just add to the 2 foot surplus we already have....

Obviously the CAD regions in the area look to at least get some ice and mixed precipitation on the front end of this thing. Its hard to tell how long the cold air will hang onto those locations.  I fully expect that all will change to rain then we get wrap around upslope snow for the favored areas. This would be an awesome snowstorm for us if we just had the cold air. Looks like we are going to get another 1 to 2 inches of rainfall.... Just add to the 2 foot surplus we already have....
I lived way too close to the Party Rock/ Lake Lure wildfire a few years ago. There's worse things than a huge rainfall surplus.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I lived way too close to the Party Rock/ Lake Lure wildfire a few years ago. There's worse things than a huge rainfall surplus.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

After multiple years of excess rain and raining or the threat of rain every day throughout this past summer, I have thought that a dry spell would be nice.  But in the back of my mind it has always been be careful what you wish for.  Party Rock/Lake Lure and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge...wasn't that long ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonhowl said:

After multiple years of excess rain and raining or the threat of rain every day throughout this past summer, I have thought that a dry spell would be nice.  But in the back of my mind it has always been be careful what you wish for.  Party Rock/Lake Lure and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge...wasn't that long ago.

Just like all the ones here in macon county the Gatlinburg fire was arson. 

Living in the southern mtns 80-100 inches of rain every year gets old!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

I like what GSP put out. The models have kind of been up and down. At least put an advisory up to let everyone know hey things may get dicey. Which they did. If things deteriorate they can always upgrade.  

I agree I think it was a great approach from them. These cad setups are so tricky to forecast. Just go ahead and give everyone a heads up that’s there potential. I’m still shocked they put an advisory up for Macon.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Some on the east facing side is going to get clocked with a significant ice storm. Don’t think it’s going to be a huge area but the closer you are to the blue ridge parkway and the divide, the better chance. 

I'm afraid of that too. The new NAM suggests it but the HRRR think we get a heavy dose of sleet. I have seen models overdo zr and underdo sleet in these setups. 

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I'm afraid of that too. The new NAM suggests it but the HRRR think we get a heavy dose of sleet. I have seen models overdo zr and underdo sleet in these setups. 

Yes definitely. I’m just afraid the NAM may not be done trending colder and for longer. We gotta hope like you said that it’s more of a sleet fest or it’s going to be lights out, literally. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Yes definitely. I’m just afraid the NAM may not be done trending colder and for longer. We gotta hope like you said that it’s more of a sleet fest or it’s going to be lights out, literally. 

The wet ground surely isn't going to help if we get heavy accrual on trees...

• Like 1