• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Yea your buddy and I are basically the same elevation I bet, he’s just barely on the Jackson side south side of 74 and I’m barely on the Haywood side on the north side of 74. Seems like when it’s heavier precip it’s all sleet and lighter stuff is basically a misty sprinkle with a few sleet pellets.  Mid to upper 30’s up here when I got back from down in Hazelwood. 

CAA has yet to scour out the warmer temps in the deeper valleys as of midday. We don't expect anything to stick here of course but I find these NW flow/CAA/CAD events fascinating to play out on temp readings across SW NC

• Mt Lyn Lowery (6037') - 25°F 
  • Cat (5400') - 29°F 
  • Balsam (3310') - 34°F 
  • Waynesville (2755') - 37°F 
  • Sylva (2036') - 42°F
  • Bryson City (1752') - 42°F

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

Managed a quick dusting here in Waynesville. Granular snow. 

Temp 30F

Trace of sleet and graupel here. Headed to grab dinner and the top of Grassy Bald across 74 from me is white, Plott Balsam is white down to probably 4000’.  Angle orientation wasn’t and isn’t right at this moment,  just based on last year and this year I can tell the angle that Waynesville proper gets snow during a flow event is different than the angle I need to see decent flakes.  We seem to at least see something fall but being below 4000’ things have to be just right to get more than a dusting. Peaks of sun at home but solid low cloud deck in downtown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Trace of sleet and graupel here. Headed to grab dinner and the top of Grassy Bald across 74 from me is white, Plott Balsam is white down to probably 4000’.  Angle orientation wasn’t and isn’t right at this moment,  just based on last year and this year I can tell the angle that Waynesville proper gets snow during a flow event is different than the angle I need to see decent flakes.  

too funny, my friend over in balsam was complaining about just that. I'll take what i can get since im below 3500'

Just now, Local Yokel Wx said:

too funny, my friend over in balsam was complaining about just that. I'll take what i can get since im below 3500'

I’m ready to experience a good synoptic system, I want to see what the Balsams can ring out during a Miller A or even overrunning event with good cold air to work with because I know what they do when it comes to those systems when it’s plain rain.