Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2020-2021 Ski season thread

Skivt2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Friend of mine knows of two people that got fined. 

No way, sounds like urban legend.  Fined for what, where and by who?  

The state specifically says they are not fining, same with the State Police.  There are no fines on the books except for business establishments that fail to comply to capacity restrictions or fail to require a state attestation.

HOW ARE THE ORDERS BEING ENFORCED?

In instances where police officers observe or are made aware of potential violations of Gov. Scott’s orders, law enforcement is encouraged to speak with the proprietor, staff, or group, provide a reminder of the new requirements, and assess voluntary compliance.

DPS and the Vermont State Police — the largest law-enforcement agency in the state — continue to recommended to Vermont municipal leaders and law-enforcement executives that enforcement of executive orders be handled primarily through education and voluntary compliance.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No way, sounds like urban legend.  Fined for what, where and by who?  

The state specifically says they are not fining, same with the State Police.  There are no fines on the books except for business establishments that fail to comply to capacity restrictions or fail to require a state attestation.

HOW ARE THE ORDERS BEING ENFORCED?

In instances where police officers observe or are made aware of potential violations of Gov. Scott’s orders, law enforcement is encouraged to speak with the proprietor, staff, or group, provide a reminder of the new requirements, and assess voluntary compliance.

DPS and the Vermont State Police — the largest law-enforcement agency in the state — continue to recommended to Vermont municipal leaders and law-enforcement executives that enforcement of executive orders be handled primarily through education and voluntary compliance.

I just asked. Waiting to hear. I actually was surprised too. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I just asked. Waiting to hear. I actually was surprised too. 

I’ll take a photo of a letter we got sent to all town of Stowe from the PD Department later.  The gist was it’s all voluntary, they can’t do anything, just be a good human being for your neighbors.  Or at least that’s what I got out of it.  It was just “follow the guidance” but there’s no penalty.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Kinda a blessing in disguise, as the lot this year will be a shit show with people gearing up at their cars. There's a science to maximizing the Berkshire east parking lot and I enjoy the challenge, but it's time to pass the torch.

Real life Tetris?

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha what?  First family this morning in the shop was from Peachtree, Georgia.  Yesterday people were talking about their flight from Fort Lauderdale.  I’m definitely getting the Vid at some point.  People from all over pouring in.  It’s a fight just to get them to wear masks much less follow any other guidance.  

Shit dude, that is so damn frustrating.

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

My plan is to swing the car around, drop off the kids and wife up front, and then do the trudge up from the car alone. They will all be wearing their boots from the house, I will drive with the windows cracked. This all sounds good in my head at least.

As kids we used to boot up at home and be ready to go for the 15 minute drive from Indian Lake to Gore Mountain in the Dacks.  Just hop out of the car as kids and go straight to messing around on the J-Bar while the parents got ready.  Good plan you’ve got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

What do you do there?

I ran these rental shop about 10 years ago and lately have just been parking cars on the weekends for passes. I can't do that this year due tp my 'real job' schedule but plan to work in some capacity there.

Kinda a blessing in disguise, as the lot this year will be a shit show with people gearing up at their cars. There's a science to maximizing the Berkshire east parking lot and I enjoy the challenge, but it's time to pass the torch.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I've been teaching ski lessons there since I moved back to western mass in 2010.  Nice gig for me and them.  I'm an elementary school gym teacher as my full time job so I'm pretty good at wrangling children.  I show up on time and don't complain and I'm willing to teach school groups.  I live 15 minutes away so it really works out!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GCWarrior said:

I've been teaching ski lessons there since I moved back to western mass in 2010.  Nice gig for me and them.  I'm an elementary school gym teacher as my full time job so I'm pretty good at wrangling children.  I show up on time and don't complain and I'm willing to teach school groups.  I live 15 minutes away so it really works out!

You have probably met me and taught my kid! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Haha it's like "Thanks for patronizing us and supporting our economy in this difficult time! Also, please don't be assholes"

Seriously.

Your old hill looked packed today. Lines for Heaven's Gate looked like vacation week. Can't imagine if folks actually head up for vacation week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Seriously.

Your old hill looked packed today. Lines for Heaven's Gate looked like vacation week. Can't imagine if folks actually head up for vacation week. 

Yeah I believe it. Ellen looks slated to open next Friday and Gatehouse/North Lynx should be coming online by then as well which should help spread people out. If the pattern next few weeks isn't too blocky or the north country can cash in on some orographic snows, then C-rock may be in play as well, though normally SB MTN ops prefers long trail traffic jams out that way rather than lines at the chair in the early season.

Either way curious to see what the next few weeks bring. As much as I love snow IMBY, I will take it up that a ways 10/10 times. 

Gore was great today. My first day telemarking lol. Went ok, glad I could still parallel and ski bumps as needed. Exhausted! First lift line was 20 min. After that longest line was 8 min. Skies onto the lift several times. Snow was soft with nice bumps here and there. Brought a small rug to put boots on. People were good with social distancing and masks. Great first day!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Gore was great today. My first day telemarking lol. Went ok, glad I could still parallel and ski bumps as needed. Exhausted! First lift line was 20 min. After that longest line was 8 min. Skies onto the lift several times. Snow was soft with nice bumps here and there. Brought a small rug to put boots on. People were good with social distancing and masks. Great first day!

Awesome!  I've always wanted to tele.  One of the things I hope to do at some point.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Awesome!  I've always wanted to tele.  One of the things I hope to do at some point.

Buddy has a few pairs of Hoks we play around on for cross country trails through the woods and beg/intermediate downhill sections. Being able to make 3-4 tele turns on them a couple years ago opened the tele world for me. Definitely see the appeal. Since then I have always kept an eye out for a cheap set-up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MRVexpat said:

Loon today was socked in but completely empty and mostly soft snow.

I hiked Mt. Flume via Lincoln Woods today. We got some breaks around 10ish but then got very socked in and was raining lightly. It began to clear out around 230ish on the descent.

• Like 1

Sweet! No doubt we've crossed paths.

I'll be bumping chairs there every Thursday.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Just switched my Epic reservation from Wildcat to Okemo for Saturday. Obviously storm will be skied out by then but looks like they are in line for maybe 5-8"... Wildcat's early season snowmaking has been pathetic compared to more southern resorts... Heck, even resorts like Cannon which isn't exactly the snowmaking capital of the northeast has managed far better.