• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    WIanBW
    Newest Member
    WIanBW

August Discobs 2020

One more month of Summer. I am ready for Fall. Ofc it never actually feels like Fall around here until early October- sometimes.

Finished July with 6.30" of rain.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

1.92” in July, and I’m ok with another six weeks of seasonable summer, as long as it rains.

Seasonable would be tolerable, and the best we could hope for. Long range means suggest that is possible. But yeah hopefully it doesn't go dry. Doesn't look like that will be a problem for the next week or so anyway.

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

1.92” in July, and I’m ok with another six weeks of seasonable summer, as long as it rains.

Yep, not ready for fall yet. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

CoCoRaHS has a new interactive map! Haven’t played with it too much, but looks cool.

Interesting indeed.  Looks like it was developed by snow lovers.  In the Precipitation options under Map Options 4 of the 5 options to select from have something to do with snow.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Ha, you beat me by a few minutes!  You can make a custom version up to 45 days.  I've been waiting for something like this.

https://maps.cocorahs.org/

I’ve been hoping for something like this too. Awesome new feature. I had been feeling like I got rain shafted for July with just over two inches, and then I searched and see areas just to my wnw had half of that.

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Now we can all see how much we've been screwed.  That's me with the 4.79" in July.

1060683872_Annotation2020-08-01094844.thumb.png.d7dbc118062855c084838810ba770099.png

I'm just NW of the two 5.55 and 5.57 readings IVO Vienna.

There's some interesting lollies in there from July.  It's going to be interesting when the data shifts from liquid to frozen and perhaps becomes more subjective (like the long standing debate about how frozen is measured at KDCA).  Likely all of the data points for rain are electronically measured from outdoor "trusted" sensors.  When we shift to frozen (hoping we get some in 20/21), the liquid equivalent from heated sensors will hopefully help keep the data from enabling too much slant stick measuring, and offset the "human factor".  

Noticed there does not appear to be data listed for KDCA and KIAD.  Looked up the background and with the sponsorship by NOAA, would anticipate the major airports would participate.  https://www.cocorahs.org/Content.aspx?page=aboutus     

I am here for the 0z Euro.

image.thumb.png.d938e36277f1ccf201cd79474cbbc162.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr been spitting out 5-7" lollies of qpf for evening  past couple runs .

Not just the HRRR.  18z NAM nest has 14" near Winchester. Certainly one of the odd situations where the models like the 81 corridor better for storms.

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Not just the HRRR.  18z NAM nest has 14" near Winchester. Certainly one of the odd situations where the models like the 81 corridor better for storms.

I would think a watch is likely coming.

12 hours ago, CAPE said:

One more month of Summer. I am ready for Fall. Ofc it never actually feels like Fall around here until early October- sometimes.

Finished July with 6.30" of rain.

Loving the fact that it's less and less bright on my way to work each morning!

• Like 2

Pretty nice evening. 81 and quite comfortable.

View of a thin line of northward moving convection to the ESE along the MD/DE border.

towers.thumb.jpg.0cab7724de7d77dbfce8caea49a8cc4e.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Pretty nice evening. 81 and quite comfortable.

View of a thin line of northward moving convection to the ESE along the MD/DE border.

towers.thumb.jpg.0cab7724de7d77dbfce8caea49a8cc4e.jpg

Things clouded up pretty good over this way over the last hour or so. Think we should get in on some storms developing to the south late this evening 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Things clouded up pretty good over this way over the last hour or so. Think we should get in on some storms developing to the south late this evening 

Not expecting much of anything over here tonight, unless some of this localized/isolated stuff passes over.. The main show with the OV energy should pass well to the NW.

I'd take it 

• Like 4