Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely some irony in a few of these posts regarding the picking of certain sites to get the weather one desires.

BDL becomes complete anathema to Kevin in the winter. He won’t even mention them after October. :lol:

High of 82F here in August.  OMG!!! 
Overall temps so far this summer have been very much AN. My pool temps attest to that.   3 90+ days here. I think 92 was my highest.  Mostly good pool weather. Lots of AC use    No record highs though   
1988 I didn’t live here but that still sits in my memory as the most miserable summer for me temp wise

Discounting a summer a not hot b/c there wasn't records seems kinda silly...that's like discounting snow winter as snowy b/c it didn't produce a historic snowstorm or a snow event that dropped above"x" inches. 

Perhaps we didn't have record high's...perhaps some of the top climo stations didn't obtain impressive thresholds of certain temperature readings...but IMO duration is much more impressive than a daily record. And the duration of the warmth this summer was quite impressive. Once that switch flipped in late June or early July we just didn't look back. Hell, we couldn't even buy a legit cold front to move through...at our latitude that is quite impressive (even for summer). The consistency of days pushing 85-90 was quite impressive. Even during our "hot" summers we tend to get days of crap mixed in. Those were very few and far between. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Discounting a summer a not hot b/c there wasn't records seems kinda silly...that's like discounting snow winter as snowy b/c it didn't produce a historic snowstorm or a snow event that dropped above"x" inches. 

Perhaps we didn't have record high's...perhaps some of the top climo stations didn't obtain impressive thresholds of certain temperature readings...but IMO duration is much more impressive than a daily record. And the duration of the warmth this summer was quite impressive. Once that switch flipped in late June or early July we just didn't look back. Hell, we couldn't even buy a legit cold front to move through...at our latitude that is quite impressive (even for summer). The consistency of days pushing 85-90 was quite impressive. Even during our "hot" summers we tend to get days of crap mixed in. Those were very few and far between.

And honestly I feel like I've heard that argument here... above normal snow but lacking in a true signature 12"+ event so meh.  I can almost hear Ray saying how sick of 3-7" events he was in that hypothetical winter.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If ORH or BDL was -4 for the winter like this summer is in the positive , they’d fondly remember it as a cold winter 

Just now, powderfreak said:

And honestly I feel like I've heard that argument here... above normal snow but lacking in a true signature 12"+ event so meh.

Yup...this is why it's best to go with science and not personal opinion. If the science says its hot...then its hot. If Uncle Jo doesn't think it's hot...well than more power to Uncle Jo but what Uncle Jo thinks doesn't alter the facts.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

If ORH or BDL was -4 for the winter like this summer is in the positive , they’d find Ku remember it as a cold winter 

Yup

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

And honestly I feel like I've heard that argument here... above normal snow but lacking in a true signature 12"+ event so meh.

We remember singular events more than a constant drumbeat of whatever in most cases.  
I remember the 1978 Blizzard or the Monson Tornado or the 2008 Ice Storm

I doubt I will regale my grandchildren with the tale of the Great Dewy Summer at BDL in 2020

• Haha 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Who said this summer wasn’t hot? It just didn’t feel memorable...especially north of the pike. Sorry heat weenies. 

Yeah the conversation devolved from "The hottest summer of your life" to "They don't think it was a hot summer."  Those are two very different things. 

I do think there's an area in central New England that missed the record NNE torches early on, and then also failed to get into the BDL/TAN heat during the second half of the summer.  Probably like Hippy to Hubb Dave to your area seemed to be more moderate in both cases when the heat was far NNW over the top, and then again when it was valley torches south of the Pike.

During the month of June (I think it was June) when SNE had that period of being under the influence of the mid-Atlantic cut-off lows and NNE was torching...had that not happened BDL would probably easily be near 45 90F days and you could probably tackle on several more for PVD...maybe a few for ORH and perhaps BOS too. 

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

During the month of June (I think it was June) when SNE had that period of being under the influence of the mid-Atlantic cut-off lows and NNE was torching...had that not happened BDL would probably easily be near 45 90F days and you could probably tackle on several more for PVD...maybe a few for ORH and perhaps BOS too. 

Woulda Coulda Shoulda

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Who said this summer wasn’t hot? It just didn’t feel memorable...especially north of the pike. Sorry heat weenies. 

Yeah. I just told kevin I’d remember this summer as hot. But not like 2010-2012 years when we were busting out 95s and 96s at ORH. 

Same reason people don’t remember a 23/-10 day with calm winds and radiational cooling as colder than a 14/0 day with ripping CAA. The “Science says” the 23/-10 Day was colder but nobody is going to remember it like that. 

• Like 2

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah. I just told kevin I’d remember this summer as hot. But not like 2010-2012 years when we were busting out 95s and 96s at ORH. 

Same reason people don’t remember a 23/-10 day with calm winds and radiational cooling as colder than a 14/0 day with ripping CAA. The “Science says” the 23/-10 Day was colder but nobody is going to remember it like that. 

I have no evidence to back this up, but for the summer temperature rank (high, top 5) at many sites there seemed to be a lack of heat headlines from the NWS.  At least up here, I feel like 2017 had more heat advisories up at BTV, as that was also a top tier summer.  I know Snowman is good at finding number of advisories/warnings stuff like that, but it would be interesting to see how this year compared to other years in NWS headlines.