• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

I still can't believe that early in the warm season, Mansfield set it's all-time max temperature of 85F on May 27th when there was still snow on the ground at the Coop stake. 

That late-May heat was likely the most memorable here... hottest MVL temp in the past decade since I've lived here, also was the hottest SLK and BML temperatures on record for the ASOS.  Hottest May temp ever at BTV in their 130 year period of record.

But the summit torch was next level.  There were 4 days there at the end of May where the summit went 79/59, 85/66 (!), 83/61, 74/63 with snow cover still in the upper spruce forests.  That four-day period averaged +22 departures up there.

I think that was also when CAR was going for it's all-time max too? 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It was solid cold to at times bitter cold, but we never had like a crazy Valentines Day 2016 stretch. Just solid cold that month. 

2016 is a tough bar to clear. Lowest temp readings at BOS and ORH since 1957. 

I think ORH had 7 lows below 0F in Feb 2015 which is really good for February. Peaked at -9F which ties the Jan 2011 cold shot and beats the Jan 2005 cold shot (-8F) right before the blizzard that year. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It was solid cold to at times bitter cold, but we never had like a crazy Valentines Day 2016 stretch. Just solid cold that month. 

I'm sure the departures from normal were much greater then this so-called sizzling summer. Max in the summer min in the winter. Nobody cares about average temperature. When was the last time your neighbor stopped you and said, did you see it only got down to 67 last night? Truthfully what I remember about the winter of 2015 was the snow ☺️

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Your posts and more importantly state of mind have steadily gone downhill since it turned into the hottest summer of your life. I don’t know if splitting wood in 30+ of 90 degree heat or the 60+ days of dews over 60, but you are gone. This is and continues to be the hottest summer of your life. The numbers don’t lie. You can deny it all you want and try to pretend it hadn’t been. No one does anything but laughs 

you had 2 90 degree days at your house,maybe the camper at BDL it was totally impressive on the high end but please dog

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2016 is a tough bar to clear. Lowest temp readings at BOS and ORH since 1957. 

I think ORH had 7 lows below 0F in Feb 2015 which is really good for February. Peaked at -9F which ties the Jan 2011 cold shot and beats the Jan 2005 cold shot (-8F) right before the blizzard that year. 

Feb 2016 Cold shot was a freak of nature amid an all out torch. Coldest I’ve really felt combined with wind.

2 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I'm sure the departures from normal were much greater then this so-called sizzling summer. Max in the summer min in the winter. Nobody cares about average temperature. When was the last time your neighbor stopped you and said, did you see it only got down to 67 last night? Truthfully what I remember about the winter of 2015 was the snow ☺️

Now that last sentence is true. Not forgettable.

3 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Feb 2015 was -13 Summer so far +3.5

• Thanks 1

4 max temps of 90+ at ORH this summer. Thats their long term average too. That’s all you need to know about the maxes up here....it was almost all consistent high mins and above average highs with very little onshore flow or BDFs or stratiform rain events. 

Not impressed by the magnitude of the heat at all. Just the consistency of it. 

Down on the BDL tarmac it was clearly more impressive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

4 max temps of 90+ at ORH this summer. Thats their long term average too. That’s all you need to know about the maxes up here....it was almost all consistent high mins and above average highs with very little onshore flow or BDFs or stratiform rain events. 

His camper was roasting though

HFD, ORH, PVD all have had their hottest summers on record. The numbers do not lie. When you line them up over the years.. 2020 is hottest. They’re not going to change with more heat and dews Thursday thru the weekend. I can’t fathom how people are arguing against the actual scientific numbers. I mean I can spin stuff.. but when the records are there in finite detail.. how can you say it wasn’t a hot summer? I mean JC

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t think OXC hit 95F. There wasn’t any sweltering heatwaves just a consistent stale humid airmass. A lot of 88/65 type days. I mean...nothing memorable for the majority. 

• Like 1

HFD, ORH, PVD all have had their hottest summers on record. The numbers do not lie. When you line them up over the years.. 2020 is hottest. They’re not going to change with more heat and dews Thursday thru the weekend. I can’t fathom how people are arguing against the actual scientific numbers. I mean I can spin stuff.. but when the records are there in finite detail.. how can you say it wasn’t a hot summer? I mean JC

And the truth shall set you free...

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hot summer for sure, memorable for high low mins for sure. 2 90s meh, no high records meh. Dewy yes dewy care no

• Like 1

Definitely was high mins but that counts.  I didn't even notice that the lowest minimum temperature for the month of July was 55F on Mansfield.  The average minimum temperature for the entire month in a normal year is 51F... so the entire month of July was above normal miniums every single calendar day at the picnic tables and it wasn't particularly close.  The high temps were closer to normal but those July mins were insane.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL I can spin stuff. It’s been a lot of 88-93 stuff. I agree that we haven’t had those uber hot temps except that one day for PVD, but it’s been just consistent heat. Lake temps, ocean temps...all toasty. 

He’s trying to use Logan in the North Atlantic Ocean as the basis for his argument that it’s been a comfortable summer. You just have to laugh 

He’s trying to use Logan in the North Atlantic Ocean as the basis for his argument that it’s been a comfortable summer. You just have to laugh 

He’ll use Logan in January when he’s 73, but they got to only  65 because of srly flow off Dorchester Bay. 

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Like using BDL when you live at 1K in Tolland?

I don’t use that for my obs no. But it’s a nearby airport that represents the overall background state of weather. If they set a record for a hot summer .. Guess what.. it was a record hot summer for all of us in CT. If PVD near you had a record hot summer.. guess what.. so did you I ’m not going to claim otherwise and try to deny it.