Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, butterfish55 said:
4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:
Just pulled up the >80F and >90F stats as well.  #1 and #2 on the list.
Capture1.JPG.c5ebf0543afdee6b6be8ef59d42dc789.JPGCapture2.JPG.933e3e8a33c4ee654dbae80d7e1348ee.JPG

Forgettable.

You have a weather station? We all know airports are the best representation of your home. I had 3 90 degree plus days but many above normal days. Hot summer no doubt but you airport guys....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You have a weather station? We all know airports are the best representation of your home. I had 3 90 degree plus days but many above normal days. Hot summer no doubt but you airport guys....

Why buy a weather station when I have a high precision piece of equipment that blows any home weather station out of the water?  And the station sits ~500' away from any asphalt.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.915c793bc2bd570887832dbdb0096b37.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Why buy a weather station when I have a high precision piece of equipment that blows any home weather station out of the water?  And the station sits ~500' away from any asphalt.

Capture3.thumb.JPG.915c793bc2bd570887832dbdb0096b37.JPG

And my house relative to TAN.  1mi away.  Its a damn good representation of where I live.

Capture4.thumb.JPG.02fe0c3c6cf8424ae1ff4217f3bf0494.JPG

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

There's a WU station 1.5 miles from my house, TAN is 5 miles away.   It's been an incredibly hot summer for SEMA since the end of June/start of July....Top 5 at worst.   I don't know what else to tell you

10 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Here are the departure splits between the highs and lows. This summer's departures were not driven by warm nights. In 9 of the 12 station-months, the high temperature departure was greater than the low temperature departure, and the number of days where the high was warmer relative to average compared to the low was also greater.

image.png.682c2c56c5efc94945e6dfa012ffdeb4.png

That's usually going to be the case...at least for ORH. Off the top of my head, I know that the summer high temps have a higher standard deviation than the low temps so you are typically going to see the high temps drive the departure on an absolute scale. But on a standardized (sigma) scale, it may be different. I haven't actually calculated to see which has a higher sigma value this summer. My guess is that it is close....the high temps have been very warm....they just haven't been driven by extreme heat. More the "lack of cold max temps". Very consistently hot max temps....just not extremely hot where we see a lot of record max temps fall as in past hot summers.

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I still can't believe that early in the warm season, Mansfield set it's all-time max temperature of 85F on May 27th when there was still snow on the ground at the Coop stake. 

That late-May heat was likely the most memorable here... hottest MVL temp in the past decade since I've lived here, also was the hottest SLK and BML temperatures on record for the ASOS.  Hottest May temp ever at BTV in their 130 year period of record.

But the summit torch was next level.  There were 4 days there at the end of May where the summit went 79/59, 85/66 (!), 83/61, 74/63 with snow cover still in the upper spruce forests.  That four-day period averaged +22 departures up there.

I think that was also when CAR was going for it's all-time max too? 

CAR's big heat was 3rd week of June - they tied their all time high of 96 on 6/19.  Their 1st 96 was 6/29/1944 and 2nd was 5/22/1977.  Both '77 and this year had 95s next to their 96s. record.

Comment on VD16 cold - AM was colder but I'm confident that Christmas 1980 was a colder day overall despite the cheap 12:01 max.  Did Boston even get above zero that afternoon?  At least as windy as 2016, too.  And even more anomalous farther north.  First CT Lake had 7 AM obs time which preserved their afternoon max of -24, which is the coldest I've seen in the Northeast below 6,000'.

Just now, tamarack said:

:lol: 
2° departure in January is essentially a normal month.  Let me know when it's +/-5 or more.    In July 2° is significant.  (But you knew that.)

I know...just making a point. I hope we do have some neg departures for my own sanity this winter.