Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Fay

wdrag

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If the center can align better with the mlc then she could get to 60-65mph. Doesn't look bad on IR.

I'm predicting stronger impacts than currently forecast. Some 6"+ amounts likely.

track has all the ear markings for 2-5 inches coastal New Jersey.

not expecting much in my area. Inch or so with some decent wind gust.

congrats Monmouth County 

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If the center can align better with the mlc then she could get to 60-65mph. Doesn't look bad on IR.

I'm predicting stronger impacts than currently forecast. Some 6"+ amounts likely.

I would like to note, as a born weenie, that the NHC gives JFK a 1% chance of seeing 1-minute sustained hurricane-force winds.  I live in hope that the endless insanity that is 2020 gives us a landfalling NJ hurricane in July.

Go ahead, give me the weenie reaction, your jeers mean nothing to me.  Your weenies sustain me.

...wait let me say that a different way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

I would like to note, as a born weenie, that the NHC gives JFK a 1% chance of seeing 1-minute sustained hurricane-force winds.  I live in hope that the endless insanity that is 2020 gives us a landfalling NJ hurricane in July.

Go ahead, give me the weenie reaction, your jeers mean nothing to me.  Your weenies sustain me.

...wait let me say that a different way.

It hasn't been that rare to see a TS make landfall in NJ....we had Irene in 2011 and then Sandy 2012.

I dont get this unprecedented July thing, the waters are just as warm in July as they are in August.  The warmest they usually get up around here are low to mid 70s and that's where we are now.  Upper 70s down by Atlantic City.

16 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

It hasn't been that rare to see a TS make landfall in NJ....we had Irene in 2011 and then Sandy 2012.

I dont get this unprecedented July thing, the waters are just as warm in July as they are in August.  The warmest they usually get up around here are low to mid 70s and that's where we are now.  Upper 70s down by Atlantic City.

Honestly I don't have the empirical evidence at hand, I assumed peak Gulf Stream temps were reached August/September.

That being said, it's still a climatological anomaly.  Whether because of temperatures or typical seasonal weather patterns that allow for it to happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Honestly I don't have the empirical evidence at hand, I assumed peak Gulf Stream temps were reached August/September.

That being said, it's still a climatological anomaly.  Whether because of temperatures or typical seasonal weather patterns that allow for it to happen.

You're right about that, I just think it has to be a different reason other than SST.  Maybe July normally has more shear than either August or September in the areas where these things usually form?  The only memorable July storm I can think of that reached our area was Bertha in July 1996.  It hit Wilmington, NC at nearly Cat 3 status (I think it was the earliest major hurricane at the time) and it rode up right along the coast and it was a 65 mph tropical storm when it hit land again near JFK.  Close to hurricane force gusts near Babylon and up to 7" of rain in the Poconos.

Earlier today, when the NHC was forecasting 3-5" for rain for most of the mid-Atlantic/NE (with up to 8" in spots), I was skeptical, since the 12Z models almost all showed 1-3" of rain, mostly, and the NWS offices (Philly and NYC) at 4 pm were calling for a general 1-3" of rain (with locally greater amounts) for the Philly-NJ-NYC-CT-LI region.  However, if anyone has looked at the 0Z suite, every major global (Euro, UK, GFS, UK, and CMC), the NAM, the RGEM and even the HRRR are all showing at least 1-3" of rain" with the UK, Euro and CMC having significant swaths of 3-5" of rain for this area with some lollipops over 6" on a couple of models.  That's flooding level rains in 18 hours.  I'm not a rain fan, so I have no interest in seeing that much.  Too sleepy to post all the maps, but it's a pretty accurate take, I think.  Here's the latest from the NHC at 11 pm:

Tropical Storm Fay Discussion Number   2
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL062020
1100 PM EDT Thu Jul 09 2020
Key Messages:

1. Fay is expected to produce 3 to 5 inches of rain with isolated
totals of 8 inches along and near the track across the mid-Atlantic
states into southeast New York and southern New England. These rains
may result in flash flooding where the heaviest amounts occur.
Widespread river flooding is not expected at this time.

2. Tropical storm conditionsare expected along portions of the
mid-Atlantic and northeast coast Friday and Friday night, and a
Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for the coasts of New Jersey,
New York and Connecticut, including Long Island.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  10/0300Z 36.3N  74.8W   40 KT  45 MPH
 12H  10/1200Z 37.7N  74.6W   45 KT  50 MPH
 24H  11/0000Z 39.9N  74.1W   45 KT  50 MPH
 36H  11/1200Z 43.0N  73.3W   30 KT  35 MPH...INLAND
 48H  12/0000Z 46.7N  71.7W   25 KT  30 MPH...INLAND
 60H  12/1200Z 50.2N  69.3W   25 KT  30 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP
 72H  13/0000Z...DISSIPATED
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Sustained ~33kt, G41 kt at a mesonet platform just e of DE... and on the coast of s NJ and DE coast as of about 725A, close to TS gusts of near 34 kt. 

Looking for max rainfall, just left of Fay track...(light n-ne flow) vs TS gusty e-se to sse flow e of track.  

My brother is at Cape May.

sent me a video earlier...storming well!!

• Like 2

For flash flooding: here's a nice look at 6 hour rainfall trigger thresholds (county wide) as hosted by BGM/RFC's. Since PWAT exceeds 2", pretty clear that urban runoff will produce short periods of street flooding-impacting travel between 2P-10P in NJ. Max gusts...follow HRRR and your other favorite models. Sort of looks to me like 3P-8P.  00z/10 SPC HREF has 1.5"+ rainfall w LI/NJ/se NYS.  Think it's NJ and se NYS where to be more concerned, thinking back to rains of Monday and Wednesday. 

One other comment: NWS sees sub basin thresholds for triggering warnings, so this is just a broad scale idea. Let's see what happens. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 7.22.11 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2