Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tropical Storm Fay

wdrag

12 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

If you noticed the rainfall and wind patterns with Sandy, there were some similarities with Fay (on a much smaller scale.)  Like you said, because of its much smaller size, there wasn't a surge component, but we knew that wasn't going to happen from the beginning. As far as rainfall and wind, the similar tracks the two shared (going into Atlantic City) placed the heaviest rainfall in Delaware in both cases and in both cases the effects were strongest from Nassau County westward.  Fay produced about half the rainfall and half the winds that Sandy had (which means in reality it was only 1/4 as strong, and that's before accounting for its much smaller size.)  Neither Sandy nor Fay produced as much tropical storm effects from Suffolk County northeastward.  I've always maintained that Suffolk County has much more of a New England climate (this holds true both in the winter and summer) and the storms that are most likely to affect them also affect Boston.  The storms that affect NYC and Nassau County the strongest belong to a different class altogether- the Midatlantic group- which also affect Delaware and New Jersey.  During the 2010s and apparently going right into 2020 we've seen much more of the latter variety.   There are many other examples of this (again during both the summer and winter)- Sandy, the Millenium storm you referenced and of course the Snowicane in late February 2010 come to mind immediately.  Irene was also part of this pattern and I recall you were in Long Beach for that one.  That would have been a better place to be with this one also.  I expect this pattern to continue into the future with the much warmer sea surface temps we now have.

Now looking forward to hitting 100 degrees later next week in this eventful and perhaps historic summer we have oncoming!

What? Suffolk recorded the highest gusts in the entire area bro. Maine recorded gusts to 70. This is one of the worst takes ive ever seen on a weather board.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, that 52 mph gust was just to the NE of St George at the Robbins Reef Lighthouse.

Thanks Chris!  Where were those two 57 mph gusts reported from?  I saw one on the central NJ coast in southern Monmouth county (near Manasquan?) and the other one in extreme Southern NJ near Cape May.

15 hours ago, psv88 said:

What? Suffolk recorded the highest gusts in the entire area bro. Maine recorded gusts to 70. This is one of the worst takes ive ever seen on a weather board.

You misunderstood what I wrote, I was talking specifically about rainfall being less to the east of the center.  Strongest winds are always to the east of the center, but the point is moot because Sandy wasn't even tropical when it made "landfall."  But strongest winds being east of the center is almost always the case, whether it's tropical or not.  Like Walt said, the rainfall patterns between Fay and Sandy were very similar; in both cases the heaviest rainfall was in Delaware, because both made "landfall" on the South Jersey Coast.  The winds in Sandy on eastern Long Island and New England weren't a "tropical effect" and I wasn't addressing them with that statement.  The rains were a "tropical effect" because those rains in Delaware occurred when Sandy was still tropical, the winds on Long Island occurred when it was no longer tropical.  I hope that's clear enough for you to understand ;-)

And you mentioned Maine, those kinds of winds would NEVER have happened that far north if Sandy was still tropical.

• Confused 1