• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlckJckKhoWX
    Newest Member
    BlckJckKhoWX

Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Just now, mreaves said:

I'm not sure of the R0 for my county but for the state it's at .88.  Obviously ours is lower than that as it is heavily weighted by Chittenden County.  The state does have a decent dashboard and they send out a daily update.  https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/current-activity-vermont

Appears many districts will go part time remote until there is a 100% cure or vaccine is a long term 100% solution. Sad times for kids . I really feel bad for them and their parents.  This virus sucks . 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Appears many districts will go part time remote until there is a 100% cure or vaccine is a long term 100% solution. Sad times for kids . I really feel bad for them and their parents.  This virus sucks . 

It does suck and I feel sometimes like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.  You plug along and try to make the right decisions knowing there is little margin for error.  I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make those decisions.

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s awesome. It’s like seeing cats in NYC camping out near dumpsters, or rats. Just chilling until someone wastes food. 

Last week a friend woke up in the middle of the night to noise outside the window, flipped the outside lights on and this big guy is wandering around outside the screen.  He lives about a mile away from my place, other side of the golf course, but I haven't seen one this big.  He immediately shut the sliding doors open on the deck, and bedroom windows. These bears are curious and have no fear getting very close to homes, making a lot of folks "close up" more at night than they normally would.  This bear has to be 300-350 pounds.

West Hill Bear.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha so not that extensive.  How many students?  I haven't read anything on how colleges/universities are handling it, just what's been written about the UVM one.

2500ish... we’ll see if it actually happens like that lol, but that is what we’ve been told.

• Like 1

Hopefully a safe vaccine can come out soon.  Going to be a rough time. Lots of people will die from this, economy will continue to suffer, education will take a hit. 
I do think of those three the education part will be the easiest to recover from. 

We took a bike trip out in Hadley/Amherst today. Close to 20 miles. I’ve never done that before.  Awesome day.  Loaded up on stuff at a place called Maple Farms. Made a huge charcuterie board.  I’m going to explode

Say our trip to The Andrea next week looks not so good 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Last week a friend woke up in the middle of the night to noise outside the window, flipped the outside lights on and this big guy is wandering around outside the screen.  He lives about a mile away from my place, other side of the golf course.  Immediately shut the sliding doors open on the deck, and bedroom windows. These bears are curious and have no fear getting very close to homes, making a lot of folks "close up" more at night than they normally would.  This bear has to be 300-350 pounds.

West Hill Bear.jpg

We have bears here. They seem to travel down the Hoose. People that see them say they are typically timid. I think up there, bears are less nomadic and more confident as if they’re like, ”this is my land so I’ll have a look around if you don’t mind.”

Our son’s school contracted testing with the Broad Institute (one of my old customers). They plan on testing all staff and students twice a week for the first month, then once per week. 
They really seem to have done a good job with the safety end but our son feels the experience isn’t there this semester so will be doing remote (saving a ton of $$$ too)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hopefully a safe vaccine can come out soon.  Going to be a rough time. Lots of people will die from this, economy will continue to suffer, education will take a hit. 
I do think of those three the education part will be the easiest to recover from. 

We took a bike trip out in Hadley/Amherst today. Close to 20 miles. I’ve never done that before.  Awesome day.  Loaded up on stuff at a place called Maple Farms. Made a huge charcuterie board.  I’m going to explode

Fitch also downgrading US credit rating as we remain on an unsustainable path. Fed and Treasury continue debasing our currency and burying our children under a mountain of debt. But on a cheerier note, charcuterie is awesome.

24 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

2500ish... we’ll see if it actually happens like that lol, but that is what we’ve been told.

First junior or senior courts party and the campus will be shut down again. 

4 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Agreed. It’s not going to last. Intentions are good, but it’s impossible to control three thousand kids, and all it takes is one to start a spreading event.

I just saw Saturn‘s rings clearly through my neighbors telescope!  I’ve never seen them before. Pretty mind blowing! 

edit:  Jupiter and 3 of it’s moons also! 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

We are 18+ months away from any sense of normalcy, especially when factoring in societal impact, economic impact etc.

I’ve been discussing that probability with my family and friends and neighbors, just to be mentally prepared. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

We like going to Littleton.  World's largest candy counter at Chutter's.  Home Depot and Lowes.  Traffic isn't nearly as bad as Burlington or W.Leb

Chutter's is pretty awesome. We always go to Littleton to hit Depot and Lowes rather than North Conway.

Looks like Taunton plan is to go fully remote for the 1st couple months and then they’ll split the alphabet and students will go class 2 days a week depending upon last name and do remote the other 3 days.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks like Taunton plan is to go fully remote for the 1st couple months and then they’ll split the alphabet and students will go class 2 days a week depending upon last name and do remote the other 3 days.

They are also mandating all students have a Chromebook as there are apps specific to the platform that they will be using.  Distribution to those who don’t already have one will be next week.

We are not alone....

Pentagon Has ‘Off-World Vehicles Not Made on This Earth’

Bombshell: The government’s once-clandestine UFO program will reveal findings on unexplained materials and crashes.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a33413777/pentagon-ufo-program-materials-vehicles/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We are 18+ months away from any sense of normalcy, especially when factoring in societal impact, economic impact etc.

I’ve been discussing that probability with my family and friends and neighbors, just to be mentally prepared. 

For sure, this will be a marathon.  

Regarding a vaccine, I imagine a lot of folks will be skeptical of putting something in their body when the long term effects aren't understood.   If youre under 60 with no known health issues, are you rushing to sign up for a vaccine?

I guess the question is:  Which risk are you more comfortable taking?

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

We are not alone....

Pentagon Has ‘Off-World Vehicles Not Made on This Earth’

Bombshell: The government’s once-clandestine UFO program will reveal findings on unexplained materials and crashes.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a33413777/pentagon-ufo-program-materials-vehicles/

Have you ever listened to the Bob Lazar interviews?  
My cousin’s first husband worked at  at Nellis AFB.  He had some interesting stories after you got a few beers in him. 

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The truth is out there?

The New York Times has been publishing a bunch of teaser articles. Supposedly they are going to drop a bombshell story soon. 

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

The New York Times has been publishing a bunch of teaser articles. Supposedly they are going to drop a bombshell story soon. 

Hopefully it'll be more exciting than the WaPo's most recent bombshell before the bombshell about a creepy football announcer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Maple Foods is my main lunch spot these days.  Great smorgasboard esp in normal times.  Glad you got a good day in.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

If “they” are here,  they have probably been here for a long time.  
I wonder how many people would even be shocked by some type of extra terrestrial disclosure from the government? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If “they” are here,  they have probably been here for a long time.  
I wonder how many people would even be shocked by some type of extra terrestrial disclosure from the government? 

In 2020? Not at all. People would just shrug at this point. Why would aliens even be wasting time here right now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1