Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Yeah, last year's event had that 15 hatched tornado/45 hail but here its just a 15 hail (for early stage storms) and a large 5% tornado; thinking early storms could indeed have that chance for a strong tornado or two before things grow upscale, likely within 2-3 hours of what I think should be rather rapid CI

the rapid RI is probably hindering the overall hail/tornado potential. Upscale growth will be very quick. Radar watching will be fun. Storms probably going from a TCU to 55K monsters in minutes lol

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I once caught a 33 inch Pickeral 4.5 lbs, won the fishing contest at work , 75 bucks, have only caught 1 Northern Pike in my life and lost it at the boat at Pachaug Pond, huge fish. Pretty sure I know my fish, have been fishing for 55 years plus.

No doubt you know your fish, but a 34" bass that's only 8.75 lbs either had real unusual diet or you used DIT's tape measure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

No long and skinny 34 inches long girth 12 inches. 8.75 lbs. 

Maybe you need a new ruler, maybe 2 - one for length and one for girth. :rolleyes:  Longest pike I ever caught was 33" and weighed 8.25 lb.  My grandfather caught a bass in the 1930s that was 24" and still weighed 8 lb after 3 days in the fridge before he could get it officially weighed.  At the time it was NJ's biggest bass on record and though I only saw the mount (I'm old but not that old) the fish did not look especially portly.  And that girth seems way low.  Using the length-girth weight estimator (girth*girth*length divided by 800) a fish with those measurements would weigh about 6.1 lb.  For skinny fish like pike the divisor is 900, which would be about 5.5 lb. 

We drove by the old ski lodge once it was light out the next morning...you could see the old trails still faintly visible too in the growth of the trees on the mountain. Apparently it went defunct after the 1981-1982 winter. 

Maybe the poor financial choices were a major part, as 1981-82 as a big snow winter in Maine.  Dec was warm but snowy while the next 3 months were cold and snowy.  (They would've probably been closed for the April blizzard in any case.)   Of course 1979-80 was terrible, IIRC at Christmas that winter only one natural-only ski area was operating - Fort Kent - and it was marginal even there.  1980-81 was little better - those 2 winters rank 1 & 2 lowest at the Farmington co-op - so 81-82 might've been just a dead cat bounce for Evergreen.  That may have been the time another small no-snowmaking area in Maine closed, Enchanted Mountain between Bingham and Jackman on Coburn Mountain (partly in Upper Enchanted Township though the ski area was in adjacent Johnson Mountain Twp.) 
(Coburn is one of Dryslot's favorite snomo destinations and possibly the highest groomed trail in New England.)

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I once caught a 33 inch Pickeral 4.5 lbs, won the fishing contest at work , 75 bucks, have only caught 1 Northern Pike in my life and lost it at the boat at Pachaug Pond, huge fish. Pretty sure I know my fish, have been fishing for 55 years plus.

Did you catch that in the spring?  In April 1961 I caught a 26" pickerel that weighed exactly 3 lb, obviously a female that had just laid her eggs.   As the main pickerel fishery, on the adjacent lake, had been demolished by a fish kill the previous summer (milfoil control that worked too quickly so rotting weeds de-oxygenated the water) I was sure I'd win the lake community's pickerel trophy - longest pickerel and heaviest bass got awards.  Two weeks later I watched a classmate bring in another thin-as-a-rail pickerel and one glance told me my "sure" trophy was gone - just under 28" and 3.5 lb.  And he caught it in the same place I caught mine!  (Three years later I caught a 22" bass weighing 5 1/8 lb in the fish-kill lake - bass tolerated the conditions better than pickerel - and thought again I'd win.  A friend's dad caught a 20.5" bass in the skinny-pickerel lake and that one weighed 5 5/8 lb - foiled again.)

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve been up that way and in my limited time there, ND looks like nice chase territory. I-94 cuts right through the state in a way that allows for good chasing of a W to E moving storm and there’s good visibility. 

Local severe chasing probably isn’t too hard either in the pandemic. Quick gas stops and almost no need to interact with others. 

Cane chasing is a lot more complicated with possible evacuation challenges and hotel needs. I think chasing a major is likely going to be a no go this season because of that. Might be able to get in something weaker if cases are back on the decline by September...

I've heavily contemplated doing northern Plains rather than like southern Plains for chasing. Everyone loves May and early June in OK/KS, however, I think farther north offers just as much in terms of severe and without chaster convergence. Only issue I think is you can pretty much book a two week period in OK during late May well out and the odds of having at least one event are high. Waiting until like deeper in summer when they are active up north is a bit of a challenge...especially when factoring in taking time off of work. Some jobs you need to gives like months in advance. 

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

DERECHO!!!

image.png.329661d09b06bc626f9e000bea148ce4.png

Not to steal this "thunder" ( n'yuk n'yuk) but...I would go ahead and extend this risk right through the Lakes .. on into NYS/PA, NE and the upper MA frankly ...given to the fact that the wind is W at 500 mb at an unusually strong velocity along that 588 DAM hydrostatic height by 6 dm either side of that demarcator ... which concomitantly houses a pretty rich hypsometric plume underneath.   

I mentioned in my heat drafting in the other thread, that the MCS and or MCS/debris would be limiting factors as caveat emptors to heating potential - and still is... Thing is, if it initiates that far west it'll tend to pac-man right of the environmental flow and up S... then we get vil choked and dim sunned out of either interesting weather, heat or convection ...which is the ultimate goal of the butt-bang god controling NE weather ...so...better sacrifice those virgins ...haha

• Like 1

what are some must not miss breweries near the the North East Kingdom area of Vermont?  I will almost certainly hit treehouse on the way up, and hill farmstead is at the top of my list, but wouldn't mind swinging through one more brewery if it has a curbside pickup thing going...was looking at river roost and red barn but figured some of you locals may have some suggestions...stowe and burlington are sort of out of the way and i can get alchemist and ten bends and lots of others down here so i probably won't head in that direction...

9 minutes ago, MacChump said:

what are some must not miss breweries near the the North East Kingdom area of Vermont?  I will almost certainly hit treehouse on the way up, and hill farmstead is at the top of my list, but wouldn't mind swinging through one more brewery if it has a curbside pickup thing going...was looking at river roost and red barn but figured some of you locals may have some suggestions...stowe and burlington are sort of out of the way and i can get alchemist and ten bends and lots of others down here so i probably won't head in that direction...

Depends on the route your taking but Schilling in Littleton, NH is worth a stop 

5 minutes ago, MacChump said:

Foam Brewers

Frost Beer Works

Burlington Beer Company

Lost Nation

Those are all in the Burlington area though.

4 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Depends on the route your taking but Schilling in Littleton, NH is worth a stop 

From Treehouse I can either take 91 up through Vermont or 93 through NH which would take me right through Littleton--they are almost exactly the same, time-wise, according to google maps, so i will look at this, thanks!

58 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Biggest fish i caught was a 11.5lb lake trout, 34", He was actually a skinny fish for that length, Next biggest was this one, 8.1 lbs, 26".

IMG_0384.jpg

Biggest fish I have caught was a 52 lb striper. Back in the day we regularly picked up 30 to 40 lbers on Eels off of Fishers Island. Me in the red shirt, had to have been 1985 or so

FB_IMG_1595011786757.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Foam Brewers

Frost Beer Works

Burlington Beer Company

Lost Nation

Those are all in the Burlington area though.

yeah, our plan is to go to a cabin in east burke and just hike for a few days with as little contact with anyone as possible...any other time i would take a day and visit all of these breweries, but since i only want to do a curbside pickup type deal its probably not worth taking a day to drive down to burlington...thanks, though, those are on my next time list

7 minutes ago, radarman said:

Not sure any largemouth in history has hit the 30" mark.  Maybe a long skinny carp?

Lol I know my largemouth. I catch dozens and dozens every year. Speaking of Carp, big fish are back in our spot. My bud sent me this this morning from his FB page

FB_IMG_1595012038666.jpg

12 minutes ago, MacChump said:

yeah, our plan is to go to a cabin in east burke and just hike for a few days with as little contact with anyone as possible...any other time i would take a day and visit all of these breweries, but since i only want to do a curbside pickup type deal its probably not worth taking a day to drive down to burlington...thanks, though, those are on my next time list

If you head up 93 thru NH, there are a bunch in the Derry area.  603, White Birch, my buddies at Kelsen, Rockingham.

1 hour ago, hammerz_nailz said:

No doubt you know your fish, but a 34" bass that's only 8.75 lbs either had real unusual diet or you used DIT's tape measure.

32 minutes ago, radarman said:

Not sure any largemouth in history has hit the 30" mark.  Maybe a long skinny carp?

I think I screwed up lol. Hammer Nailz was right. 24 inches not 34 ,oh boy my eyesight is shot

9 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

If you head up 93 thru NH, there are a bunch in the Derry area.  603, White Birch, my buddies at Kelsen, Rockingham.

nice...i hadn't even really considered going up 93 until i looked up schilling and saw that there is no difference between 93 and 91...i remember you talking before about kelsen...i will check all of these out

1 minute ago, radarman said:

If you're proceeding from Treehouse north and west eventually to 91 you might consider hitting up Brick and Feather in Turners Falls.   Or going north to Stone Cow if it's a weekend afternoon evening for barbeque and beers.

thanks, was hoping you might chime in...we are going Monday through Friday to try to avoid crowds and aren't really planning on going to restaurants or anything...will most likely bring all of our food up and grill our dinners, so beer and barbecue are in the cards but it will be just us

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, radarman said:

If you're proceeding from Treehouse north and west eventually to 91 you might consider hitting up Brick and Feather in Turners Falls.   Or going north to Stone Cow if it's a weekend afternoon evening for barbeque and beers.

Stone Cow on the weekends has been overcrowded IMHO.  Tables are spaced out but so many people. 

1 hour ago, radarman said:

The world record 22 lb 4 oz bass caught decades ago in Georgia was listed at 32".  I saw a pic of a 21+ lb bass from Lake Castaic in CA that was 27-28" and looked like it had swallowed a football.  (Bass have been established in Japan and I recently read that one 22 lb 5 oz had been caught there, but the keepers of fish records consider fish within 2 oz to be tied.)

I think I screwed up lol. Hammer Nailz was right. 24 inches not 34 ,oh boy my eyesight is shot

Your 8.75 lb is probably about what my granddad's 24" fish weighed when he first brought it home.

1 hour ago, MacChump said:

Where are you going to be exactly?  The three below are in the NEK but sort of spread out

Hill Farmstead https://hillfarmstead.com/

Kingdom Brewing https://kingdombrewingvt.com/

St. J Brewery https://saintjbrewery.com/

The first two I can vouch for, not really familiar with the third.  Hill Farmstead consistently ranks as the best in the world.  While you're at Hill Farmstead, you can stop by Parker Pie too.   Awesome pizza.  https://parkerpie.com/

Edit to add:  Lol, I guess I should have read your entire post before I replied.  As for 91 vs 93, are you driving all the way?  If so, I would think 93 would be out of your way and take you through some heavy traffic areas.  

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Where are you going to be exactly?  The three below are in the NEK but sort of spread out

Hill Farmstead https://hillfarmstead.com/

Kingdom Brewing https://kingdombrewingvt.com/

St. J Brewery https://saintjbrewery.com/

The first two I can vouch for, not really familiar with the third.  Hill Farmstead consistently ranks as the best in the world.  While you're at Hill Farmstead, you can stop by Parker Pie too.   Awesome pizza.  https://parkerpie.com/

Edit to add:  Lol, I guess I should have read your entire post before I replied.  As for 91 vs 93, are you driving all the way?  If so, I would think 93 would be out of your way and take you through some heavy traffic areas.  

Thanks mreaves-yeah, hill farmstead is definitely going to be a stop. That pizza joint looks good if we decide to try takeout one night. Right now the 93 vs 91 decision will most likely be controlled by my brewery choice lol