• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just so you all know this is WesterlyWx, I changed my name back to my original name when I started on this board 10 years ago since obviously I’m back here in Buffalo not in Westerly,RI anymore lol. 

Didn’t even hear the storms here so it must not have been bad despite the STW because I’m a light sleeper. 

Looking forward to some cooler weather finally. I’m over the heat for the year, we’ve had quite enough. Bring on fall and football (until it gets cancelled)! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Just so you all know this is WesterlyWx, I changed my name back to my original name when I started on this board 10 years ago since obviously I’m back here in Buffalo not in Westerly,RI anymore lol. 

Didn’t even hear the storms here so it must not have been bad despite the STW because I’m a light sleeper. 

Looking forward to some cooler weather finally. I’m over the heat for the year, we’ve had quite enough. Bring on fall and football (until it gets cancelled)! 

I can feel this way, but it's still August. I'll be ready in October this year. Usually I wait until November for the cold. I really don't want to get my hopes up for football. I have a feeling covid is going to make a huge comeback this fall. It isn't going to magically disappear. And with everything opening up and everyone staying inside as it gets colder, its a bad combination. 

• Like 2

Just now, lakeeffectkid383 said:

What’s the last tropical cyclone that really delivered that much rain here in WNY? Katrina in 05’? 

That sounds about right. I was on a staycation that week and remeber watching the prices at the gas station across the street climb over $5/gal in the pouring rain.

I also remember camping through the remnants of hurricane andrew...what a muddy mess.

Hurricane Katrina - August 22-September 1, 2005

• Like 1

After boundary sags southward across region by Friday, a near W-E
orientation of this front across the area seems likely to yield a
very unsettled and wet interlude for the CWA Friday into Friday
night. Model guidance suggests continuous instability along this
boundary, low level convergence, and ample moisture feed. Thus, this
could finally be an extended period of rainfall potential for the
area.

&&

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Continuation of tropical rainfall across the area will be present to
start the weekend. Moisture associated with the remnants of Laura
may be drawn up into the frontal boundary and stronger wave of low
pressure that will still be laid out across the area. This would
yield a near unabated continuation of solid rainfall across the bulk
of the area that looks to extend at least into Saturday.

Beyond Saturday, the long wave pattern looks to start to change
across the eastern CONUS. What has been a very warm period will
gradually be replaced by troughing in the upper levels. This will
result in cooler and drier Canadian air slipping into the
northeastern US for a few days. As a result, the forecast trends
decidedly drier and below normal in the temperature department.

p168i.gif

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Going to be a brutal camping trip this weekend if that happens. Hoping its more scattered over there. 

Pretty Cool story.  I can't even imagine doing this!

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/recreation/virginia-woman-sets-adirondack-high-peak-record/?fbclid=IwAR1CHtiiW0J_feZ0wcPt_gs0AGZcC4lx1T4zOkwXSkaiUjk1LxXeTiBsMBo

• Like 1

Looking forward to the chilly night tonight. I am hoping this week marks the last of the 90 degree temps. Pretty please.

Going through historical data for the past handful of Septembers, there have definitely been a fair share of 80 degree days. Well-above normal Septembers have been common as of late. :( 

• Like 1

Interesting pattern here for the last...3 months. Doesn’t want to cool off and doesn’t want to rain. Mentioned this before, but nighttime temps seem to be quite warm and BUF in particular can’t seem to dip below 75 before midnight.  75 currently post “cold front”. Forecast min is 55, I’ll take the over.  I haven’t heard much talk about excessive dryness so maybe the lake shadow has been in overdrive all summer here...but leaves are dropping in my neighborhood like early October. Radar looked good last night and we ended up with maybe .01 inch. 

Anyway, random musings on what has been a pretty extreme warm and dry summer IMBY. If things don’t break cooler and wetter for at least a few days based on the forecast, I’ll have to call BS on the atmosphere...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Interesting pattern here for the last...3 months. Doesn’t want to cool off and doesn’t want to rain. Mentioned this before, but nighttime temps seem to be quite warm and BUF in particular can’t seem to dip below 75 before midnight.  75 currently post “cold front”. Forecast min is 75, I’ll take the over.  I haven’t heard much talk about excessive dryness so maybe the lake shadow has been in overdrive all summer here...but leaves are dropping in my neighborhood like early October. Radar looked good last night and we ended up with maybe .01 inch. 

Anyway, random musings on what has been a pretty extreme warm and dry summer IMBY. If things don’t break cooler and wetter for at least a few days based on the forecast, I’ll have to call BS on the atmosphere...

A whopping 0.02” from last nights storms just down the road from you in Eggertsville. The leaves really are dropping like fall here. My backyard grass is toast between the dryness and my 3 dogs using the bathroom on it all the time lol. I actually had to rake a bunch of leaves out of the flower beds today and got 3 of the paper yard waste bags full of leaves. The large oak in my backyard is almost half bare and the half that are left are completely brown. Hopefully Laura helps us out or were not even going to have much foliage to look forward to in a month or so, most the leaves will have already dropped. 

7 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

A whopping 0.02” from last nights storms just down the road from you in Eggertsville. The leaves really are dropping like fall here. My backyard grass is toast between the dryness and my 3 dogs using the bathroom on it all the time lol. I actually had to rake a bunch of leaves out of the flower beds today and got 3 of the paper yard waste bags full of leaves. The large oak in my backyard is almost half bare and the half that are left are completely brown. Hopefully Laura helps us out or were not even going to have much foliage to look forward to in a month or so, most the leaves will have already dropped. 

Weird thing about last night was the lightning strikes were so close, yet no rain. Big claps of thunder, I look outside expecting to see rain,  nada. This also. happened a couple weeks ago. Very strange. Be on the lookout for suburban neighborhood lightning induced forest fires...

• Like 1

Just now, Buffalo Bumble said:

Weird thing about last night was the lightning strikes were so close, yet no rain. Big claps of thunder, I look outside expecting to see rain,  nada. This also. happened a couple weeks ago. Very strange. Be on the lookout for suburban neighborhood lightning induced forest fires...

Didn’t hear a thing. Usually I’m a light sleeper, but I don’t get much sleep with 2 kids under 1 year old lol. Saw some pretty significant damage in Hamburg today BuffaloWeather. On 62 right near Evans street where I work there was a large tree in the road closing both lanes of traffic. Also a tree down on Pleasant St near Scott street also closing the whole road. Saw on Channel 4 it looks like there was a microburst that started on Smith road and headed SE over Pleasant St and Rt 62. Some really large healthy maples were snapped in half like toothpicks on the footage from Smith rd. They’re guesstimating winds were about 70 mph or so in the microburst but not sure if the NWS surveyed it already or still have to do so but interesting little thing to come outta last nights storms.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hmm..we don't seem to have as much of a drought issue here in the Syracuse area. Grass is pretty green. We seemed to have lucked out with some rains throughout the summer. I know my family in PA has been chatting about the extremely dry conditions there as well.

Only .41” at BUF since August 5th with .36” of that coming on the 15th. We’re only at 1.6” since August 1st and only 1.88” in the last 30 days. I’d be willing to bet in Amherst it’s even less as the airports caught a few storms we missed out on or were more intense there than here. I’ll have to dig through my PWS data but I’m guessing it’s closer to only 1” in last 30 days here. 

6 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hmm..we don't seem to have as much of a drought issue here in the Syracuse area. Grass is pretty green. We seemed to have lucked out with some rains throughout the summer. I know my family in PA has been chatting about the extremely dry conditions there as well.

I live in Hannibal near oswego and my lawn is completely torched and so is everyone else lawns around here. We have had some rain on and off but not nearly enough to keep the lawn nice and green.