• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 minute ago, Flying MXZ said:

Tornado observed near Roxbury according to the local news.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 215 PM EDT FOR EAST
CENTRAL DELAWARE COUNTY...

At 210 PM EDT, a confirmed tornado was located near Roxbury, or 16
miles west of Hunter, moving southeast at 50 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
         shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
         to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is
         likely.

This tornadic thunderstorm will remain over mainly rural areas of
east central Delaware County.

Watch Posted!

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 456 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NYC003-009-011-013-015-029-037-051-069-097-099-101-121-123-
280000-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0456.200827T1850Z-200828T0000Z/

NY
.    NEW YORK COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ALLEGANY             CATTARAUGUS         CAYUGA
CHAUTAUQUA           CHEMUNG             ERIE
GENESEE              LIVINGSTON          ONTARIO
SCHUYLER             SENECA              STEUBEN
WYOMING              YATES
$$

I’m in Ithaca for this one, west side of Cayuga in my camper...which is interesting.  We just missed some action to the east, around 2 pm, now it’s very breezy with partly sunny skies, 85. DK humidity but it’s sticky.  Watching the line of storms to our northwest and we are in a tornado watch.  3k Nam seems to have the stronger cells to our west later, while the hrrr brings some strong cells overhead.  NWS says western Great Lakes for the most severe, so that’s in line with 3k nam.  

Anyone notice how Laura kind of ended up being a non event relatively speaking?  Pretty fascinating.    I think the Derecho did more damage than Laura.  Definitely lucked out on where it hit and its forward speed was important in limiting flooding and overall damage.  I'm really not seeing much in terms of catastrophic damage.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I noticed that. Seemed the strongest winds in the eye wall were verrrry confined. Not widespread horrible winds. Storm surge not nearly as bad as predicted. Watching the Mets spread all over, it seemed pretty "meh" with the typical gusts. Obs for Shreveport and Little Rock didn't look anywhere close to what their advanced models showed. She petered out pretty quickly by the time she hit Arkansas.

This is where it can be tough for media meteorology. You can be extremely cautious and give thorough warnings, with it ending up not as bad....or downplay it and then have big issues when bad things happen. Being overly cautious brings in higher ratings though...so that seems like more of a win-win for them.

Still a lot of work to repair things, I am sure....and grieving for the several families who lost somebody.

38 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Anyone notice how Laura kind of ended up being a non event relatively speaking?  Pretty fascinating.    I think the Derecho did more damage than Laura.  Definitely lucked out on where it hit and its forward speed was important in limiting flooding and overall damage.  I'm really not seeing much in terms of catastrophic damage.  

I thought it almost lived up to its strength. 30 miles inland recorded gusts of over 135 Mph in Lake Charles. It was a "non event" because of where it hit. If you look at google maps, its all marshland. Its like a hurricane hitting the everglades. It would cause very little damage.