Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 12 Severe Event

joshwx2003

13 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Tornado after tornado after tornado with the morning QLCS across Louisiana... don’t recall many (Any?) people addressing this potential over the last few days.

10 hours ago, Quincy said:

Every run of the HRRR since 22z has gradually been backing off. Right now, there’s very little convection at all. 

FWIW, the HRRR also shows gradually less convective blobbing along the warm front tomorrow morning. 

My guess is the tornado action could start as early as late morning on the SW/S flank of early day storms, probably in Louisiana, but possibly as far west as extreme eastern Texas.

Arkansas (possibly eastern Oklahoma?) is interesting with funky wind profiles that could result in hybrid tornadic supercells. MS/W AL is still a wildcard area with many possible scenarios. 

Overnight tomorrow still really concerns me across a broad area from MS to GA, whether it be a broken line of supercells or a massive squall line with numerous QLCS tornadoes  

Overall, given the background environment, any convection near or south of the warm front needs to be watched as early as 16-17z. Even with messy storm modes, you can get strong tornadoes with so much low-level shear.

Granted the storms started a bit earlier than 11 a.m., but I think most of us were/are more focused on the warm sector, where long-lived, intense/violent tornadoes will be possible. 

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Will the junky convection over parts of AL and MS do anything to hinder instability it that region..seems pretty widespread.

That’s effectively the warm front. As that surges north, so does the moist, unstable air mass. So, I don’t think it will play much of a deleterious role. 

2 minutes ago, MUWX said:

Could spacing be a limiting factor with those?

It’s one potential limiting factor. All it takes is one lone storm in the open warm sector away from other convection to go on to produce an intense long-lived supercell. 

Something to consider is the placement of the qlcs right now vs where there 15z hrrr pegged it in its 2 hour forecast -- real obs would suggest this line is moving much faster than the HRRR forecast, limiting warm sector opportunity for open sector supercells. jmo

6 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Will the junky convection over parts of AL and MS do anything to hinder instability it that region..seems pretty widespread.

Edit: Actually SVR storm near Jackson, MS.

I am in South Mississippi and currently looking at the sun. I really don't believe instability will be an issue for the MDT area.

27 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Tornado after tornado after tornado with the morning QLCS across Louisiana... don’t recall many (Any?) people addressing this potential over the last few days.

And it is somewhat surprising to see tornadoes this intense in the QLCS.  Usually I expect rather modest  spin ups.

5 minutes ago, Bob's Burgers said:

Something to consider is the placement of the qlcs right now vs where there 15z hrrr pegged it in its 2 hour forecast -- real obs would suggest this line is moving much faster than the HRRR forecast, limiting warm sector opportunity for open sector supercells. jmo

This is a very good point.  The 15 UTC HRRR is a little too far north, a little slow, and seems to be a little too discrete with this QLCS convection.  Hard to tell what downstream impacts this might have, but it make me a bit skeptical of that solution.

AC073-121715-  
/O.CON.KSHV.TO.W.0031.000000T0000Z-200412T1715Z/  
OUACHITA LA-  
1139 AM CDT SUN APR 12 2020  

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1215 PM CDT FOR EASTERN  
OUACHITA PARISH...  

AT 1138 AM CDT, A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS LOCATED  
OVER WEST MONROE, MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.  

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!  

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.  

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY   
         BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES   
         WILL BE DESTROYED. CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO HOMES,   
         BUSINESSES, AND VEHICLES IS LIKELY AND COMPLETE DESTRUCTION   
         IS POSSIBLE.