Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

Friendly reminder, don’t feed the trolls. They stink, leave shit behind and don’t bother cleaning up after themselves. 

-management 

Suddenly, a variant of that Mary Poppins song went through my head...

Feed the trolls, tuppence a bag!

Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag! :D

But why even waste that little on trolls!

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Ah ha, another judgmental lecture rom a holier than thou passerby who offers nothing in the way of content.  For some reason this topic REALLY seems to agitate certain people.  I’m not sure why.  

I thought the post was fine. He didn't call anyone out specifically and like everyone else is craving for some sort of a glimmer of light. That being said, this virus is taking a toll on us all and he is not alone in his assessment of the opinions that appear here and the vast majority of posts in this thread are opinions, except of course for the ones who have real-life experience in the medical field. 

15 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

I thought the post was fine. He didn't call anyone out specifically and like everyone else is craving for some sort of a glimmer of light. That being said, this virus is taking a toll on us all and he is not alone in his assessment of the opinions that appear here and the vast majority of posts in this thread are opinions, except of course for the ones who have real-life experience in the medical field. 

Yeah, I mean from my perspective it seems like it’s mostly a discussion of the numbers and trends and ideas/opinions about how to manage this.  The same few people seem very upset about it, and I’m not sure why.  I get it, some people think we all need to just go out and live our lives and mitigate out in the world the best we can.  That’s fine, that’s an opinion I disagree with but of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.  The part that becomes not an opinion and I think generates a lot of the friction is when people try to spin the flu numbers to back up that opinion. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

He’s also in a very rural area. At least I think so. I’d probably feel safer in an area with way less people, and can only guess, but he might feel a little different here in heavy suburbia.

• Like 1

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

He’s also in a very rural area. At least I think so. I’d probably feel safer in an area with way less people, and can only guess, but he might feel a little different here in heavy suburbia.

I think this is true. My rural friends/family seem to be the ones who feel like "this is all nothing."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

Ah ha, another judgmental lecture from a holier than thou passerby who offers nothing in the way of content.  For some reason this topic REALLY seems to agitate certain people.  I’m not sure why.  

This is exactly my point, thank you for helping confirm. My opinion as a rural passerby may differ, which I respect, but I see that makes me holier than someone, somehow. 

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am.

All I was doing was seeking some discussion, fear and loathing gets boring. I don't think I am vastly different from all the other anonymous experts here, in terms of everyone has to come to their own understandings?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Wearing a 'stupid ass mask' is a requirement in many states per Governor's orders if you want to enter a grocery store, hardware store, etc, so your 'views' on this are irrelevant. If you don't think its "fair" then don't enter a store. No one is forcing you to wear one while you are outside pissing in your yard.

Thank you 

If someone doesnt want to protect themselves so be it. But think about the people that are working in stores to provide "essentials" potentially coming into contact with hundreds or thousands of strangers every shift.

52 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I think this is true. My rural friends/family seem to be the ones who feel like "this is all nothing."

We don't have any active cases in our entire county, and none of the counties surrounding us has had more than a dozen cases total.  So in our little bubble we are feeling pretty comfortable.  But our locals are very concerned about opening back up and the flood of DC area tourists coming out here to escape again.  Some locals are even uptight about the DC area folks who have second homes here, which they have used to escape to (I don't blame them).  

No matter how comfortable you are in your own bubble, it can quickly pop.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, baldereagle said:

This is exactly my point, thank you for helping confirm. My opinion as a rural passerby may differ, which I respect, but I see that makes me holier than someone, somehow. 

All I was doing was seeking some discussion, fear and loathing gets boring. I don't think I am vastly different from all the other anonymous experts here, in terms of everyone has to come to their own understandings?

Then discuss, have it at it.  The topic here is covid-19.  The issue I see is you are preoccupied with telling everyone else how they should be discussing it instead of constructively participating. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Then discuss, have it at it.  The topic here is covid-19.  

I think you, and others, can do better with how you reply to people. I thought his post was fine but yours had a shitty tone to it that makes you seem on the offense rather than interested in a cordial discussion. 

many can do better here, myself included. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, baldereagle said:

And I’m not being sarcastic when I say have at it, I actually do want you to hear your ideas. 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

I have a feeling many did not stay home Easter weekend. Just speculation but an increasing in testing can’t be the only reason why we keep seeing these jumps. 

Agreed.

And I promise, fewer stayed home this past weekend. The weather was WAY too good and people were out everywhere. There was even traffic on 270 again.

41 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

11%. Very good. The best places in the world have 3-5%. But this is far better than the 20% we've seen lately.

I wonder if the testing protocol changed.  The protocol used to be that, if you walked into a hospital or doctors office with covid symptoms, you were tested.  But if they're now testing everyone who walks into the hospital or a doctors office regardless of what their symptoms or ailments are, then that's going to change your percentage of positives.  The new guidance recommends that asymptomic people get tested, so it's possible that Maryland changed their protocol.  I would expect that, if you expand your protocol to test asymptomatic people, your positivity rate would decrease.  I don't think that confirms that the disease prevalence is decreasing though.  It just means your protocol changed.

Maybe it's something to do with living in a rural area, I definitely would be less comfortable in dense populations, and not solely due to the illness. I certainly respect the need for continuing stay-at-home while there are many new cases. I see it being taken seriously in rural towns. people are wearing masks and being respectful of each other. I agree, however, with numerous posters that wearing a mask does nothing to suppress transmission. For me, the mask is a requirement which enhances public fear, by association, when it obviously won't keep us from catching it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I am appreciative of this site and learn alot here. I only commented because of the seeming animosity to certain views, and though it is nothing personal it gets a little tedious over time. I am grateful for my health today, and wish the same for all of you. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, baldereagle said:

Maybe it's something to do with living in a rural area, I definitely would be less comfortable in dense populations, and not solely due to the illness. I certainly respect the need for continuing stay-at-home while there are many new cases. I see it being taken seriously in rural towns. people are wearing masks and being respectful of each other. I agree, however, with numerous posters that wearing a mask does nothing to suppress transmission. For me, the mask is a requirement which enhances public fear, by association, when it obviously won't keep us from catching it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     I am appreciative of this site and learn alot here. I only commented because of the seeming animosity to certain views, and though it is nothing personal it gets a little tedious over time. I am grateful for my health today, and wish the same for all of you. 

The virus spreads primarily through droplet transmission. Masks catch the droplets. The evidence on not catching it because you're wearing a mask isn't as strong as the evidence of not spreading it while wearing a mask, I'll agree with that. However, because so many people are asymptomatic, widespread mask adoption prevents a huge amount of transmission because people who don't think they are sick but actually are are not out launching viral particles 12-30 feet away. 

Every country that has gotten COVID under control has widespread mask adoption. I promise, it's worth it.

2 minutes ago, baldereagle said:

Very reasonable, but I do disagree on the masks.  I think they probably do reduce transmission and I think some people actually feel less fear in a crowded or semi crowded public place while wearing them.   What makes you think masks don’t reduce transmission?

2 hours ago, baldereagle said:

If you want productive discussion post something substantive to reply too. Cite some evidence to support a claim and we can discuss. You will be allowed to make your case. Others might refute it with contrary evidence. That’s how it works. But there wasn’t much to discuss in your original post. 

• Like 1

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic