joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1st PROBABILITY FORECAST FROM DT

Guest someguy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Dave! The hard thing at this point, I believe, will be the ratios out west. Where I think (totally based on models) the 10 to 1 ratio shows the probability that you depict and precip will be less west, I think ratios will offset that quite a bit. So 18 to 1 is my thinking for the Charlottesville to Dulles area. Now, I am biased as this is where I live so the snow weenie in me has a lot to do with this!

Now, of course this is just thinking at this point based on such low temps in the profile. What you have depicted is a great probability outlook based on what we are currently seeing on the Euro.

Looks like a really good call with what has been happening on the models. I know a lot of people who live in the south half of VA (especially RIC and VA Beach area) have been frustrated for quite some years so this storm is going to make a lot of people happy if it pans out.

One question DT: What are your thoughts about mixing along the coast due if the storm actually deepens to what is modeled? Low center stays pretty close to shore from NC to DE.

Any room for further NW shifts at this time?

I obviously cannot answer for DT but at 96-120 hrs out there is definitely room for adjustments either way though perhaps not equal probabilities of shifting one way over another. That is way this is just a preliminary probability map. I think it is an excellent map at this range giving the model guidance at this point. The Euro has been huge the last 3-4 runs and the GFS is slowly but steadily moving in that way along with the NAM. Also the GGEM and UK have been in or heading toward a similar camp. Not 100% consenses but you can feel the mood is leaning towards a bigger event. If the guidance continues with this idea for the next 24-36 hours then I suspect we can much much more confidently believe this will come to be reality.

We've been tracking & analyzing this potential snowstorm for days and it is still 4-5 days away. As for me, I'm much more conservative and would want to wait another day or two before sticking my neck out. Forecasting has indeed made significant progress over the past 35 years. Forecasting will never be perfect and the weenie in me hopes that all the pieces come together for one or two nice snowstorms this winter and for this one in particular.

Good luck with your probability forecast DT and thanks much for your efforts.

Snowman.gif

Guest someguy

if you look at the qpf maps pf the 0z and 12z euro the precip shield to the west drops off and gives very lttle to pit and to ALB

Archived