Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

suicides have been steadily increasing (with a slight dip in 2019) for the past twenty years, and i fully expect them to go back up to the pre-pandemic baseline.  however, since they were already increasing for 20 years prior to covid, there isn't a way to show cause-and-effect if we see them begin increasing again.

Maybe not, but if it's an unusually large jump, then it would be fair to suspect the effects of the pandemic as being the reason.  Hopefully we don't see that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I admit the first couple months of total lockdown were pretty depressing, and that was just from stir-craziness. My fiancee and I were never at risk of losing our livelihood (I'm in broadcast media, she's a social worker).

I fully agree, no matter how sick of commuting to an office 5 days a week I was pre-pandemic, the early days of this lockdown sucked. Hell, there weren’t even sports to watch. And my wife and I are in the same boat, I’m in a mostly non-client-facing (except via phone) financial services job and she’s in a non-patient-facing job in the healthcare field, so both working from home with job security. But with most forms of entertainment shut down, there were even fewer diversions from the harsh realities of life a year ago than there are now, and the suicide rate still has yet to show any signs of a spike.

• Like 1

interested way to think about people having medical issues after vaccines.   With half of the adult population in the US having at least one vaccine so far, it makes it absurdly easy to draw the connection between a vaccine and some kind of ailment since logically tons of people out of that 50% vaccinated are going to have some kind of medical issue during the past 4 months.   It would be like saying people are getting sick/dying/etc. after going to Thanksgiving Dinner with family.  Just by the sheer number of people doing it of course there will be people with health issues afterwards, even when it's not connected

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This is a good headline to scare people.  But in the story, it says no causal link has been established.

Israel Examines Heart Inflammation Cases After Pfizer Shot

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/israel-examines-heart-inflammation-cases-after-pfizer-covid-shot/ar-BB1g46pq

For a fringe group that is largely dismissed by the vast majority of society (and whose positions mostly aren’t based in fact), the anti-vax movement sure seems to be able to control the narrative when they want to. I imagine people with little to no medical knowledge are scouring these databases of side effects that may or may not have been vaccine-related and pressuring officials to investigate. It’s ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

For a fringe group that is largely dismissed by the vast majority of society (and whose positions mostly aren’t based in fact), the anti-vax movement sure seems to be able to control the narrative when they want to. I imagine people with little to no medical knowledge are scouring these databases of side effects that may or may not have been vaccine-related and pressuring officials to investigate. It’s ridiculous.

There's no "fringe groups controlling the narrative", there's media using inflammatory language to get clicks and engagement. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought this was a good and balanced take on the transition from the first phase of vaccination where there was a pent up demand and a supply scarcity to the current phase where supply had caught up and it's about outreach to those on the fence and those that aren't highly motivated.  Efforts should be on making it as painless as possible to get vaccinated,  public education about the facts with transparency about the risks and benefits, and reasonable incentives for example Hawaii is launching its vaccine exemption to avoid quarantine for interisland travel and hopefully will do the same for transpacific travel not to long afterwards. It sounds like the CDC is going to be providing more and more guidance that being vaccinated makes a lot more fun things safe. 

I'm still very optimistic about the way ahead,  of course it would have been nice to keep the numbers averaging over 3 million per day vaccinated for a little longer but we knew that wasn't going to happen based on the large chunk of people that have decided against vaccines for their variety of reasons. I think most of their reasons are misguided but it's their life and their free will, as a provider I'll be happy to discuss this with my patients and provide facts to help then make their own decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got shot #1 about four hours ago. It was the most pain-free needling I've every received. My arm's starting to get sore now... otherwise I would be worried about whether the nurse actually gave me the shot. I swear on my life it was so quick and painless that I was genuinely shocked when she said I was done, and coming from me, that means something as I've passed out several times during blood drawings/allergy tests. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mattb65 said:

:facepalm:

A private school in Miami, citing false claims, bars vaccinated teachers from contact with students.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/26/us/florida-centner-academy-vaccine.html

Unreal. I know it’s a private school, but surely since children’s lives are at stake, there has to be some way to shut it down. If I worked there, not sure if I’d just get the vaccine and not tell them or go ahead and tell them and let them fire me and collect unemployment off of them.

Here is the CDC data on percentage of people who have received at least 1 dose of vaccine.  There is an obvious common link between the 10 worst states.  Some of them have double trouble in being very Republican and also having a relatively large % of African American residents, which are 2 groups that tend to be more vaccine hesitant.

42. West Virginia 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 632,161 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 35.27 

43. Indiana 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 2,351,172 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 34.92 

44. Arkansas 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,051,126 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 34.83 

45. Georgia 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 3,594,066 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.85 

46. Tennessee 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 2,286,642 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.48 

47. Idaho 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 595,128 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.3 

48. Wyoming 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 192,439 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.25 

49. Louisiana 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,479,847 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 31.83 

50. Alabama 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,546,659 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 31.54 

51. Mississippi 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 898,809 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 30.2

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Here is the CDC data on percentage of people who have received at least 1 dose of vaccine.  There is an obvious common link between the 10 worst states.  Some of them have double trouble in being very Republican and also having a relatively large % of African American residents, which are 2 groups that tend to be more vaccine hesitant.

42. West Virginia 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 632,161 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 35.27 

43. Indiana 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 2,351,172 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 34.92 

44. Arkansas 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 1,051,126 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 34.83 

45. Georgia 
Number of people vaccinated with at least one dose: 3,594,066 
Percentage of population vaccinated with at least one dose: 33.85