Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

3 hours ago, kevlon62 said:

Generally speaking, are current flyers skewing toward any particular age/income/education level?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

With the prices so cheap you are seeing a lot more younger people flying these days and those are the ones who are more careless in my opinion.

So here’s a reality check. 

One of the students in my sons class tested positive over the weekend.  My son developed sniffles, cough, sore throat but no fever.  A neighbor down the street had the same symptoms.  She tested positive on Sunday. 

I took my son to get tested today - the place was packed and we had a reservation.  I was fortunate to get this as I have a supplemental physical to my primary that helped me find an appointment.  At least 40 people/cars in line - this is where his pediatrician suggested we go for rapid testing and then come to them for a parking lot strep test just in case to rule out most overly contagious things.  The pediatrics office had 12 cars in line for kid testing of covid. 

To register for a backup test, you have to get up at midnight and register for your spot.  I did this at midnight - they filled in 40 seconds for the day.  All facilities (18 of them) for this particular testing place filled by 12:02am.  

there still aren’t enough tests for people and the rates are as high as they are.  There’s no efforts to control any of this.  After experiencing just this (my son tested negative, thankfully) I really feel for healthcare workers dealing with this.  They are only going to be under more pressure over the next few weeks/months after having done so much and put themselves in situations beyond their control. 

to then see a mass rally on tv with maybe 50% masks is simply infuriating.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

One of the major problems with the spread in places like the upper Midwest/Mountain West is limited availability of medical facilities and properly trained personnel. Very difficult to increase capacity in facilities in those areas, as opposed to a large hospital system in a major Metro.

On a side note, also a possibility that hospitalizations are currently being under reported due to the high level of rural spread.Some of these smaller hospitals many not be reporting to HHS due to lack of staff knowledge of the new HHS system or have the time to handle all the reporting they require.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

One of the bigger breakthroughs would be if we had at home rapid result testing.  And ideally at a cost that is dirt cheap.

There is not enough effort put forth on this for therapeutics. We don't have a cold vaccine but we have cold medicine, there needs to be more to develop COVID medicine.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

There is not enough effort put forth on this for therapeutics. We don't have a cold vaccine but we have cold medicine, there needs to be more to develop COVID medicine.

To actually develop a new medicine (not something already in existence), trial it, then mass produce it... I can't imagine how long that would take.  :axe:

On 10/26/2020 at 4:06 PM, michsnowfreak said:

fwiw,  I have now went out to dinner once and today I had to go to Sam's club to do some shopping. These are the first 2 times I've been in public since having it and I can report that every single person I saw was wearing a mask. If people just continue to cooperate we can hopefully avoid a lockdown. 

I’m optimistic that we won’t be going through another hard lockdown. You couldn’t get masks in March, and treatments have been improved with a better understanding of the virus, not to mention that most have adapted to the mentality of social distancing and testing is more widespread.

Having a mask mandate helps a lot, too. Sure, you’ll still have people who’ll disregard it, but the 10% (accounts for a million or so in MI) of people who’d go around maskless without a mandate will have a far less likely chance of infecting a million more, so hospitals should hopefully withstand this round.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RobertSul said:

I’m optimistic that we won’t be going through another hard lockdown. You couldn’t get masks in March, and treatments have been improved with a better understanding of the virus, not to mention that most have adapted to the mentality of social distancing and testing is more widespread.

Having a mask mandate helps a lot, too. Sure, you’ll still have people who’ll disregard it, but the 10% (accounts for a million or so in MI) of people who’d go around maskless without a mandate will have a far less likely chance of infecting a million more, so hospitals should withstand this round.

You won’t have another hard lockdown bc there’s 300 million firearms in the country. Also does it even matter at this point? Most spread is occurring from cookouts, events like wedding, hangouts at this point.

People have adjusted from going to bars and public events to hanging out with friends regularly. That’s aiding this thing

• Weenie 2

25 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

You won’t have another hard lockdown bc there’s 300 million firearms in the country. Also does it even matter at this point? Most spread is occurring from cookouts, events like wedding, hangouts at this point.

People have adjusted from going to bars and public events to hanging out with friends regularly. That’s aiding this thing

That part about 300 million firearms is the single most neck-bearded thing I have ever read. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah that's what we need now in the middle of a pandemic, to worry about how there are so many crazed gun owners.

• Like 1

If there are any more hard lockdowns, then there will be civil unrest. I just don't see it happening. Then again, I also see a 2nd American Revolution or Civil War occurring in the next six months... At some point, you will always have to choose caring for yourself at the expense of someone on their deathbed in a hospital. Unfortunately, we live in a country where that's neccessary. Maybe this is what people will fight for...

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

As someone who stridently supports the 2nd Amendment myself, I find your statement goes against all of us responsible gun-owners, who far outnumber the irresponsible ones.

And I doubt there are going to be many cookouts and weddings in November-March, at least in the Northern tier. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Yes, I'm sure we'll have an armed insurrection if people can't dine indoors at Applebees for a couple weeks.

It won’t even go that far - there’d be limited capacity. Though I think you attributed the original quote to the wrong person. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IWXwx said:

So you're hinting at an insurrection? Really?!

No lol, but come on do you really think small towns are going to abide by this? I realize I probably grew up in a more rural area than most here, but I doubt any true lockdowns will be followed through.

I do have a serious scientific question on this, does anyone really think that anything other than herd immunity will work here? If you look at the Spanish Flu & Russian Flu (which is believed to be a coronavirus as well) most studies I have read agree that it was herd immunity which brought it to a final end. Honestly does anyone think there is another outcome other than a vaccine which is mandatory for all Americans to take that will solve this issue?

Even if a vaccine comes out tomorrow, you'd have to set it up so everyone in America takes this vaccine within a 4-5 month span to prevent any re-infection. And then this will probably need to continue for years to come similar to a flu shot. IMO I find the implementation of a solution here to be incredibly difficult & almost not feasible. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

On 10/26/2020 at 12:34 AM, Malacka11 said:

Whatever happens with Covid, it's already too late to walk away saying that as a country, we did as well as we should have. I know that Biden won't be able to pull a miracle out of his ass and solve the crisis, but I firmly believe that he will ensure that should a situation like this ever arise again, we will be much better prepared for it. 

Major lols on this.  

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, nwohweather said:

No lol, but come on do you really think small towns are going to abide by this? I realize I probably grew up in a more rural area than most here, but I doubt any true lockdowns will be followed through.

I do have a serious scientific question on this, does anyone really think that anything other than herd immunity will work here? If you look at the Spanish Flu & Russian Flu (which is believed to be a coronavirus as well) most studies I have read agree that it was herd immunity which brought it to a final end. Honestly does anyone think there is another outcome other than a vaccine which is mandatory for all Americans to take that will solve this issue?

Even if a vaccine comes out tomorrow, you'd have to set it up so everyone in America takes this vaccine within a 4-5 month span to prevent any re-infection. And then this will probably need to continue for years to come similar to a flu shot. IMO I find the implementation of a solution here to be incredibly difficult & almost not feasible. 

Agreed, most have had it with lockdowns.   More of this threatening will only lead to more resistance or worse ..see the MI and OH gov plots.

Edit; and will be interesting to see how the vaccines play out.  Will they be forced?

• Weenie 1