Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coronavirus

Chicago Storm

Guest ovweather
26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Watched the video of him walking up the stairs to the balcony.  The pace looked fine, but once he got to the balcony and took off the mask, there were a few instances where it looked like he was taking deeper breaths.  To be fair, I don't know what his normal physical fitness is, so perhaps he would've been a bit winded walking up those stairs before all of this happened.

Okay, now I'm really done commenting on Trump.  :P

He’s got an extra pep in his step right now thanks to the steroids.

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Forgive me but...I don't know why those who want to argue against masks (not saying you specifically) keep using this one early moment in time as support for it...It's almost like the mask advice given from April onward didn't matter. It's always "But at first you said..."...I don't know if it's a genuine "can't unring that bell" argument or just an anti-mask excuse.

It shows that the "message" was obfuscated from the start. Here you have Dr. Fauci downplaying masks entirely and saying the only ones that should be wearing them are medical professionals and people who are sick. 

In addition, here's an earlier article showing Dr. Fauci's statements at various times downplaying the risk as well, as the situation developed. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/04/03/virus_experts_early_statements_belie_prescient_portrayal_142845.html

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, JoMo said:

It shows that the "message" was obfuscated from the start. Here you have Dr. Fauci downplaying masks entirely and saying the only ones that should be wearing them are medical professionals and people who are sick. 

In addition, here's an earlier article showing Dr. Fauci's statements at various times downplaying the risk as well, as the situation developed. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/04/03/virus_experts_early_statements_belie_prescient_portrayal_142845.html

We’ve been through this already. Masks were limited and had to be reserved for those who needed it most. If everyone thought they needed masks early on, medical staff wouldn’t have enough and would succumb to COVID, bringing about unstaffed hospitals that would fail as sick patients were piling in. 

Why are you clinging onto 6 month old information in a 7 month long pandemic?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoMo said:

But again though...how could the message not be muddled right at the start of this, seeing as they were all still learning? But then they corrected as they followed the science. I mean...I could see if stuff kept changing, but consistency over 6 months oughta be enough to get the message across. I can't believe that folks still wouldn't trust it after that unless it were purposeful mistrust, lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertSul said:

And this is what doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I can see is just to use something to excuse not wearing masks or the coalition against Fauci. Otherwise, that people somehow genuinely couldn't understand even after 6 months of consistent guidance doesn't seem plausible to ne...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

But again though...how could the message not be muddled right at the start of this, seeing as they were all still learning? But then they corrected as they followed the science. I mean...I could see if stuff kept changing, but consistency over 6 months oughta be enough to get the message across. I can't believe that folks still wouldn't trust it after that unless it were purposeful mistrust, lol

Exactly. It’s like linking a thesis written in the 1600s about how the sun revolves around the Earth and using that to support a claim. It’s disingenuous.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And this is what doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I can see is just to use something to excuse not wearing masks or the coalition against Fauci. Otherwise, that people somehow genuinely couldn't understand even after 6 months of consistent guidance doesn't seem plausible to ne...

Bingo. Any justification is good justification, no natter how weak.

• Like 2

Don’t come to Wisconsin. Record COVID cases, record hospitalizations and record deaths soon to follow!

Mask order about to be overturned by our lovely republicans to be replaced with nothing! They won’t even sit down to work anything out with Gov Evers. This fall is going to be horrendous here. Not looking forward to it.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, RobertSul said:

We’ve been through this already. Masks were limited and had to be reserved for those who needed it most. If everyone thought they needed masks early on, medical staff wouldn’t have enough and would succumb to COVID, bringing about unstaffed hospitals that would fail as sick patients were piling in. 

Because it's all in the messaging. People are looking back at what should have been done and blaming others for not doing it, when you have Dr. Fauci making contradictory statements. My own mother who is absolutely terrified of coronavirus even noticed this and grew to not like Dr. Fauci as a result. As the situation was unfolding, Dr. Fauci was telling people it was ok to go on a cruise, or that he was more worried about the flu. That sticks in people's minds. 

Trumpers will be taking about what Dr Fauci said in February of this year for all of eternity. 

Dr Fauci is hated by the right. Dedicated himself to infectious disease research and medicine for 50 years but because America is so damn anti scientist they've made into him villain. 

Prominent and elected conservatives have engaged in a misinformation campaign about masks and mitigation efforts from the jump and continue to do it until this day. Its been purposeful and disgusting. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh, I'm not against masks and I wear one when I'm in large groups of people (which I usually avoid). I also seem to be the only person that actually socially distances in Joplin.  I'm giving you a reason as to why the messaging became muddled and why people got confused about it. Add in the fact that we are now 7 months into the pandemic and people seem to be "over it". 

6 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Oh, I'm not against masks and I wear one when I'm in large groups of people (which I usually avoid). I also seem to be the only person that actually socially distances in Joplin.  I'm giving you a reason as to why the messaging became muddled and why people got confused about it. Add in the fact that we are now 7 months into the pandemic and people seem to be "over it". 

The messaging gets muddled because people hear what they want and only get attached to that regardless of facts and science. Which is why this below is true...

20 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Trumpers will be taking about what Dr Fauci said in February of this year for all of eternity. 

Dr Fauci is hated by the right. Dedicated himself to infectious disease research and medicine for 50 years but because America is so damn anti scientist they've made into him villain. 

Prominent and elected conservatives have engaged in a misinformation campaign about masks and mitigation efforts from the jump and continue to do it until this day. Its been purposeful and disgusting. 

You have a President who is literally contagious taking his mask off after getting off of Marine One. You are never going to get people to believe masks are important when you have that shit happening.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JoMo said:

The reason that people are confused about isn't because what fauci said in february. Its a purposeful disinformation campaign that continues. Potus made fun of biden for wearing a mask at the debate just as he was becoming ill with covid.

This is Brit Hume from 3 days ago:

AAPS is not a science organization. Its a conservative think takes thats questioned the link between hiv and aids. 

This is Tomi Lauren from today.:

There is no interest in the right echo chamber to learn and use masks. They've politically weaponized the whole thing...causing more sick and dead Americans. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The messaging gets muddled because people hear what they want and only get attached to that regardless of facts and science. Which is why this below is true...

You have a President who is literally contagious taking his mask off after getting off of Marine One. You are never going to get people to believe masks are important when you have that shit happening.

I don't disagree with that assessment. We had a mask mandate here for 2-3 weeks or so? The numbers during that time fell to around 20-40 active cases from around 70-80. However, at the end of the last week of the mandate, the numbers surged back up above 70 and the mandate was lifted due to financial concerns on the city, and the cases have since peaked at about 225 active cases. People get tired of wearing masks, they get tired of social distancing, so they stop doing it.

Europe is experiencing record levels of new cases because of "pandemic fatigue" as well. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54417547

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

There is no interest in the right echo chamber to learn and use masks. They've politically weaponized the whole thing...causing more sick and dead Americans. 

Lol. Take a closer look at this thread... It is a giant echo chamber for the left. Who isn't wearing a mask anywhere that requires them? The "right" hasn't caused more sick and dead Americans. The sad fact (not counting the elderly) is that a lot of the deaths are self-inflicted by poor lifestyle choices that have lead to pre-existing conditions. People have been warned for years about the health dangers of obesity, hypertension, diabetes etc. In most cases, it comes down to the ability to control what goes from your hand to your mouth. Too bad more Americans didn't listen or possess self control.  Time for people to take some personal responsibility for their health. Or maybe people should just wait for the President to tweet that its important to lead a healthy lifestyle?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Lol. Take a closer look at this thread... It is a giant echo chamber for the left. Who isn't wearing a mask anywhere that requires them? The "right" hasn't caused more sick and dead Americans. The sad fact (not counting the elderly) is that a lot of the deaths are self-inflicted by poor lifestyle choices that have lead to pre-existing conditions. People have been warned for years about the health dangers of obesity, hypertension, diabetes etc. In most cases, it comes down to the ability to control what goes from your hand to your mouth. Too bad more Americans didn't listen or possess self control.  Time for people to take some personal responsibility for their health. Or maybe people should just wait for the President to tweet that its important to lead a healthy lifestyle?

Blah blah blah. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The reason that people are confused about isn't because what fauci said in february. Its a purposeful disinformation campaign that continues. Potus made fun of biden for wearing a mask at the debate just as he was becoming ill with covid.

I'd say both sides politicized it. Also, it does not help when people try to "mask shame" others. It results in pushback. Some people don't like being told what to do and will do the exact opposite out of spite. But people try to 'mask shame' instead of nicely and calmly explaining things to those who are uninformed or misinformed. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, JoMo said:

I'd say both sides politicized it. Also, it does not help when people try to "mask shame" others. It results in pushback. Some people don't like being told what to do and will do the exact opposite out of spite. But people try to 'mask shame' instead of nicely and calmly explaining things to those who are uninformed or misinformed. 

Both sides! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Quality response

Exactly. I posted three examples of prominent Republicans, including the president, undermining public health via mask use. The response I receive is none of that matters because americans are unhealthy. We live in a world where Americans rightly or wrongly look to the president, other politicians, and pundits for guidance. These people have millions of followers and supporters. They've made things worse. 

• Like 4

Lol

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/05/health/contact-tracing-white-house.html

The White House has decided not to trace the contacts of guests and staff members at the Rose Garden celebration 10 days ago for Judge Amy Coney Barrett, where at least eight people, including the president, may have become infected, according to a White House official familiar with the plans.

Instead, it has limited its efforts to notifying people who came in close contact with Mr. Trump in the two days before his Covid diagnosis Thursday evening. It has also cut the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has the government’s most extensive knowledge and resources for contact tracing, out of the process

16 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol

The White House has decided not to trace the contacts of guests and staff members at the Rose Garden celebration 10 days ago for Judge Amy Coney Barrett, where at least eight people, including the president, may have become infected, according to a White House official familiar with the plans.

Instead, it has limited its efforts to notifying people who came in close contact with Mr. Trump in the two days before his Covid diagnosis Thursday evening. It has also cut the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has the government’s most extensive knowledge and resources for contact tracing, out of the process

It's like they want to maximize their potential to look like morons. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol

America is doomed. If leaders and politicians are undermining the severity of the virus, the general public will abide and assume it's "okay" too. 

28 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Every time I hear someone blame  "leftists" for the coronavirus, I want to stick a fork into the  electrical outlet in my garage. Your ability to ignore reality in order to play the blame game with us is unreal. 

Lol... Is this some type of reverse psychology? I didn't see one post in here blaming 'leftists", all fingers point right in the blame game. Like Alek said, we're all gonna die so eat, drink and be merry. Our time is limited.

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, NEOH said:

Lol... Is this some type of reverse psychology? I didn't see one post in here blaming 'leftists", all fingers point right in the blame game. Like Alek said, we're all gonna die so eat, drink and be merry. Our time is limited.

Saying that the left politicized... What? Good health practices? Give me a break. The right immediately picked up the role of victim in what could have been a rare unifying moment in this country. 

• Like 2