Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

Just now, Connecticut Appleman said:

Recycling sand on roadways is just about impossible as traffic running over it tends to round the sand particles which makes it act like marbles and does not help as much with traction.  It also creates a ton of very fine particles which turns to mud.

Sand/salt mix works well on gravel roads - particularly right after application as the dissolution of the sodium chloride is endothermic (absorbs heat) and can cause the road to ice up temporarily.

Every state has different application rates, but the use of straight salt does increase the amount of salt used some, but it is not as much as most people think, since the salt in the sand was doing the work for snow and ice removal so you just had to apply a lot more material to get the desired affect.

When CT switched from a sand/salt (de-icing) mix on state roads to all salt (anti-icing), the number of crashes occurring on roads with snow, slush or ice was significantly decreased.  The idea of anti-icing is preventing the bond of the snow pack to the pavement which ultimately requires less salt to get the pavement bare at the end of the storm.  The idea is to maintain a layer of brine between the snow and the road.  For salt to be "melt snow", it needs to be a brine - dry salt does not affect ice.

And for what its worth - salt (sodium, calcium or magnesium chloride) does not damage asphalt pavement.  The same can not be said for Portland Cement concrete.

I will apologize for the dissertation on winter operations - it is something that I have spent a lot of time on.

Rusted chassis are us

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Edibles are the choice, in moderation. I tend to be a better dad and husband with a touch of thc running through the bloodstream. Alcohol is just too aggressive and edgy to do it more than once a month or so. 

I actually prefer the tinctures, I know the dose i'm getting.

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Plus it won't get dark until 715. I can hear the sounds of ball meeting bats and gloves already. 60 plus

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yummy. 

Nothing better than starting the week off with some excellent COC

It's a shame the winter had to blow chunks...especially after how December started but it's onto spring/summer. Playoff hockey/basketball and baseball!!!!

So ...we're likely to nick the SE zones ...? If perhaps only the Cape and Islands with wind whipped cat paws and/or wet flakes, regardless, that is " a little " NW correction coming into shorter terms - interesting.  

The next on the docket of potentials is the 11th -13th.  Unlike the general population.. I don't really maintain biases based upon the overall seasonal tenor of abuse - ha. I mean I'll go ahead a commiserate with my usual flair for nested insults and passive trolling, but that's if and only if it offends people ... ( muah haha).

So for the majority of sub-forum, we miss this first opportunity of the onsetting seasonal relaxation climo... too bad.  I still see a ten day to perhaps two week window remaining that offers best hope for winter enthusiasts, even if it's blurred by the amorphous seam of seasonal transition.  This is blue bomb bowling time.. We can have 61 F light wind warm sun afternoons and a foot of snow that night, and this patter coming up "airs" ( puns are free) on the side of a good year for that.  It's outright modeled below as an example... But, the flow is still relaxing and the wave lengths are pretty coherently shortening. There are two table-setting factors:  one, there is an increased/energetic wave frequency in the general circulation ambience; two, there is a lot of mid tropospheric cold in all guidance draped over-arcing through Canada, so these are cake batter items. So .. with the introduction of a different mechanical layout across the hemisphere, these are new paradigms ..and pure logic means the tenor of the previous season is meaningless.  We may not get an event - okay..but that's more likely a coincidental characterization of results and false equivalency in terms of causality if that occurs.  

There are plenty of members here that signal an important event, and the EPS mean from 00z does carry some inflection for the time in question:

f180.gif