Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb To Forget? - 2020 Discussion

TalcottWx

1 minute ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

The 00z and 12z GFS runs were about as different as possible with timing and dynamics.  The 00z was a full on raining event for most in SNE, while the 12z GFS was a full on blizzard once the temps crashed to the coast with a 952mb low east of ACK, but still missed by 50+ miles from a tremendous event, even though I got over 3-4" of QPF from that track.  It was the perfect track for me to receive 4 feet of snow, but cold air initially was lacking as we don't have a classic Quebec High.

Happens what...every few years?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That was a good storm to illustrate where going with the outlier is very risky. I remember NWS OKX was buying the euro. 

Ill be interested to see what I said in the thread that ginxy linked but I remember being somewhat skeptical of the euro by the time we were inside 36 hours. RGEM actually really did well on that storm IIRC. Showed the real strong deformation/fronto band from 495 to ORH to Eastern CT where is exactly where it ended up. It had a good winter overall. 

I was selling the EURO idea of a big NYC blizzard. Cweat and I were all over that. I remember I had to duck for cover in the NYC thread.

• Sad 1

That was just measuring forecast error from the NWS/NDFD to final numbers. Using a snowfall metric. If you want to talk SLP or upper level error im sure the numbers would be quite different. 

But yeah the snowfall FX is atrocious. 12" min Error was about 130/135mi E of where it ended up. And i do remember the models and the NWS went all in on EC/NAM. I wouldn't say they went all in on an outlier, i always thought of it as two camps really. ECMWF/NAM vs. GFS/CMC(all models). Either way they chose to ignore them completely and put 100% stock in the former.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thread the needle is the most overused term here. All storms in SNE are thread the needle 

Pretty simple concept...it just means that there is increased variability regarding potential track...less of that with a block, hence you don't have to thread the needle.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Meh on the euro.... looks like a Rainer for a good portion of SNE, especially ORH east

It would be mostly snow just off the coast in E MA (prob near 128) and SW CT would do well but that is a classic setup for rain from SE CT to S RI and most of SE MA. 

Gonna change about 15 more times so totally useless anyway.