Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Feb To Forget? - 2020 Discussion

TalcottWx

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I've done relatively well forecasting snowfall. There is an element of luck to anything...you can't live your life on a spreadsheet. While snowfall definitely has more variance than H5 patterns and the resultsant temperature departures...at the end of the day,  its my passion for winter that drives these efforts. Snow is at the heart of many weather enthusiasts' passion. This is why I don't vomit out a composite map with some attendant temp departures and walk. Predicting snowfall is the fun part and keeps me engaged. While no one will nail snowfall every season, good forecasters will predict snowfall more accurately than the ones that blow. Take that to the bank. I don't get the idea that predicting snowfall is not a worthwhile endeavor. Its akin to a slugger not bothering to swing the bat because of some ludicrous aversion to the BABIP gods. No..they take batting practice.

Forecasting snowfall is hard and will often humble even the highest quality and most exhaustive of efforts. Here is an idea.....research more and get better-

I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all...hell...I would probably do the same with tornadoes if I did summer outlooks...but I know that's not really a great measure b/c you don't know how any specific event will pan out. My point is there are so many factors which influence snowfall (or tornadoes)...which can't really be predicted off any indicator. It takes just one storm which can completely put at risk a season forecast. Say you go with something like 30-40'' of snow...but one storm drops 18''...nearly half your forecast just fell in one storm. Or you forecast like 500-700 tornadoes for the spring/summer but there is a massive outbreak in early April that spans 300 tornadoes. I wasn't saying it isn't a worthwhile endeavor...its there is way more (especially short-term and mesoscale aspects) which are involved in these outcomes than a projected pattern itself. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Scott's motif of loaded up overrunning potentials is repeating in this run. 

Probably some split flow latency in the flow ...if not coherently identifiable, maybe by behavior it is evidenced.    Those blue air masses with arms stretching periodically through Ontario, while squirting pancaked waves through the OV and overrunning is quite concomitant with either -EPO or quasi EPO cold loading and the flow meandering underneath from the SW.  

It's almost like a 10 days overrunning story with a couple/few breaks separating chapters. 

I don't know why, but I enjoy overrunning. LOL. Maybe because they can be sneaky good events, maybe because they pose a fun challenge, or maybe because the cold press is sometimes under-modeled.  So I look forward to it. Of course if it's a cold rain that would not be so enjoyable, but I do find overrunning events rather fun.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't know why, but I enjoy overrunning. LOL. Maybe because they can be sneaky good events, maybe because they pose a fun challenge, or maybe because the cold press is sometimes under-modeled.  So I look forward to it. Of course if it's a cold rain that would not be so enjoyable, but I do find overrunning events rather fun.

Risking a nostalgia thread hijacking .. know what I miss?   I used to love how in icing events - even though I loathe it if the power cuts ... - how you walk out side in that gray timbre'd light, and the smell of it.  It does .. it really does have a kind of smell. I don't know if it's just distant soupcons of wood smoke mixed some how with cold dp insert air ...something, but it's a fun vibe. 

Then of course the powers out ten minutes later and I hate everyone -

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all...hell...I would probably do the same with tornadoes if I did summer outlooks...but I know that's not really a great measure b/c you don't know how any specific event will pan out. My point is there are so many factors which influence snowfall (or tornadoes)...which can't really be predicted off any indicator. It takes just one storm which can completely put at risk a season forecast. Say you go with something like 30-40'' of snow...but one storm drops 18''...nearly half your forecast just fell in one storm. Or you forecast like 500-700 tornadoes for the spring/summer but there is a massive outbreak in early April that spans 300 tornadoes. I wasn't saying it isn't a worthwhile endeavor...its there is way more (especially short-term and mesoscale aspects) which are involved in these outcomes than a projected pattern itself. 

They can be predicted to a degree..its the forecaster's job to diagnose which seasons will have the propensity to produce anomalously large events. Are there some seasons that are more predictable than others? Sure..

We had a huge mid atl blizzard during that record 2015-2016 el Nino that caused everyone to abandon the idea of much sensible winter appeal at all. I called for it  just about as explicitly as possible and it occured during the two week stretch that I had identified...it was an oasis of winter in a sea of warmth.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

They can be predicted to a degree..its the forecaster's job to diagnose which seasons will have the propensity to produce anomalously large events. Are there some seasons that are more predictable than others? Sure..

We had a huge mid atl blizzard during that record 2015-2016 el Nino that caused everyone to abandon the idea of much sensible winter appeal at all. I called for it  just about as explicitly as possible and it occured during the two week stretch that I had identified...it was an oasis of winter in a sea of warmth.

Heh, maybe we can get another one of those huge blizzards this year...for SNE that puts a much better taste in everyones mouth than our current sour taste that we are suffering through.

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Heh, maybe we can get another one of those huge blizzards this year...for SNE that puts a much better taste in everyones mouth than our current sour taste that we are suffering through.

I don't feel like we are going to get something of that caliber...that was a juiced STJ. But I think we can pull another big coastal snow event in a few weeks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This reminds me...remember that whole ridiculous idea the a KU storm couldn't occur during a La Nina (think it was La Nina)...and then it finally happened :lol: I remember we had a few discussions about this either at a conference or a g2g

Anyways though...I don't disagree with you at all...plus it's all about presentation and backing up your analysis...which you do just about as good as anyone. 

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Won’t be seeing anything here

14 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Won’t be seeing anything here

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Congrats Freak north 

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Any. We’ll be in 40’s/ 50’s Monday and Tuesday 

Debra Downie

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Definitely had ice potential somewhere. Second storm looks messy. 

Yeah. That run had a few inches of snow, then ice, then rain, then maybe back to snow at end of wave 2. 

Good luck at guidance figuring that mess out. Today has seen a definite shift south of the boundary on guidance compared to last night. 

Not counting on anything being consistent though. Wouldn’t be surprised if it goes north 100 miles next run. That type of look. 

I still like 2nd week of Feb too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah. That run had a few inches of snow, then ice, then rain, then maybe back to snow at end of wave 2. 

Good luck at guidance figuring that mess out. Today has seen a definite shift south of the boundary on guidance compared to last night. 

Not counting on anything being consistent though. Wouldn’t be surprised if it goes north 100 miles next run. That type of look. 

I talked to Wilton last night. He told me he’s working on it. 

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Whole lot of qpf. This could get fun with any press