Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If you were so confident you wouldn't be throwing a fit and every plot I've seen takes the MJO into phase 7 and then into the COD. 

There's a reason the AO/NAO aren't tanking. 

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

COD would be ok-we just can't have it shoot back to 4/5/6 like it did every time last winter or we're in trouble.

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

To be fair, everyone busted last winter, @PB-99 included. Hell @earthlightand others called for this December and January to rock this year. In the end of the day it is weather, we cannot control it, we can just try to predict it. Arrogance has no place in it, as everyone on here has busted big time. 

Go back and read the 1st 20 pages in here in regards to the MJO, the flip , the 20th etc and get back to us. 

And how is this for seeing the month of Dec ,this was my Dec call made on Nov 11.

Right down to the snow in early December , the back end warmth to the month

The plus 1 for Dec was my forecast , we finished plus .8 

I am not sure dragging my skill into this considering my year is wise. 

I think I have the period Jan 20 plus  spot on so far 

20191224_182025.jpg.5a3479dc575e9ee5756f8e53f2e4d441 TEXT TO GEO.jpg

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If you were so confident you wouldn't be throwing a fit and every plot I've seen takes the MJO into phase 7 and then into the COD. 

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

ensplume_small.gif

The product is garbage.

The CFS has been the most consistent , they have agreed with the vp200`s and Roundy plots this entire time.

You don`t need a - AO/ - NAO to get cold.

There`s a piece of the TPV sitting in N/A and the tropical forcing is allowing the trough to develop in the SE

This is as meaningless as posting 850mb anomalies in late Jan to make a 2m case 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

COD would be ok-we just can't have it shoot back to 4/5/6 like it did every time last winter or we're in trouble.

We will likely go into the COD after 8 or 1 ish and then you are left with that current state until something else takes over.

It`s why the Jan 20 - Feb 20 idea is what I put out.

It could end 5 days early or extend , but the 2 weeks from the Jan 20 date are well supported.

Including the KU in the pattern I promised you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

Go back and read the 1st 20 pages in here in regards to the MJO, the flip , the 20th etc and get back to us. 

And how is this for seeing the month of Dec ,this was my Dec call made on Nov 11.

Right down to the snow in early December , the back end warmth to the month

The plus 1 for Dec was my forecast , we finished plus .8 

I am not sure dragging my skill into this considering my year is wise. 

I think I have the period Jan 20 plus  spot on so far 

20191224_182025.jpg.5a3479dc575e9ee5756f8e53f2e4d441 TEXT TO GEO.jpg

You have had a good year, agreed. Its only January 16 though.

And FWIW it doesn't really get that cold either after the pattern change.

It's about 5 degrees below normal for maybe 4 days before warmer air returns. 

The GFS has been garbage with it showing nonsense LR snowstorms and frigid temps. Euro much closer to reality.

Despite this I do think we'll see something beginning of February. The EPS is not a bad look. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The GFS has been garbage with it showing nonsense LR snowstorms and frigid temps. Euro much closer to reality.

Now I do think we'll see something beginning of February. The EPS is not a bad look. 

OMG dude, If you go from plus 15 to minus 5 in late Jan, do you not realize what a major flip that is ? 

Your N splits are 38 / 28 , so you go from 53 / 43 to 33 /23 with a trough in the means where the ridge was for 30 days and a great 500 with a " potential " stormy look.

That`s a major flip.

There`s no warmth coming back at all, you will prob see 3 days of 40 +degree highs  due to a ridge extending out of Canada in response to an AAM spike. Do you know what that ridge is ? It`s your Hudson Bay block for what`s coming. 

It is what you will need to get 1 or 2 snowstorms in the pattern. Because that`s the risk with that 500.  HB blocking with the trough cutting underneath. You couldn`t ask for anything more and that look was being set up here while others were certain the ridge would not be kicked out. 

It is the look you want and that is what I always believed the set up would look. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

OMG dude, If you go from plus 15 to minus 5 in late Jan, do you not realize what a major flip that is ? 

Your N splits are 38 / 28 , so you go from 52/43 to 33 /23 with a trough in the means where the ridge was for 30 days and a great 500 with a " potential " stormy look.

That`s a major flip.

There`s no warmth coming back at all, you will prob see 3 days of 40 +degree highs  due to a ridge extending out of Canada in response to an AAM spike. Do you know what that ridge is ? It`s your Hudson Bay block for what`s coming. 

It is what you will need to get 1 or 2 snowstorms in the pattern. Because that`s the risk with that 500.  HB blocking with the trough cutting underneath. You couldn`t ask for anything more and that look was being set up here while others were certain the ridge would not be kicked out. 

It is the look you want and that is what I always believed the set up would look. 

That's why I believe we'll get something in early Feb particularly once that ridge pulls back from us. 

It's classic Nino that's very favorable for snows here in February. All I said was the MJO may stay in 7, which by the way is good for us. 

Today's plots also show more negativity in the AO/NAO domains in response to that spike and subsequent Canadian ridging. Another good sign for an early Feb snow event.

8 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

Your N splits are 38 / 28 , so you go from 53 / 43 to 33 /23 with a trough in the means where the ridge was for 30 days and a great 500 with a " potential " stormy look.

That`s a major flip.

To your point the teles now look good.

Nao going negative as well as AO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

ensplume_small.gif

Those plots are picking up on a kelvin wave in p6. That’s why you’re getting the curl back then back to 8. By the start of February we will be in p8 then the wave looks to die. Will will probably be in cod after the 10th then climo nino takes over for February.

You can now see the members curling back. Those maps are so predictable. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's why I believe we'll get something in early Feb particularly once that ridge pulls back from us. 

It's classic Nino that's very favorable for snows here in February. All I said was the MJO may stay in 7, which by the way is good for us. 

Today's plots also show more negativity in the AO/NAO domains in response to that spike and subsequent Canadian ridging. 

Phase 7 in Jan is good for you.

Great for the S/E.

960975240_JanuaryPhase7MJOcompositeNhem500mb.png.34b5381b05bce74c824e267818e3b1eb.png.4a01b276797e63e12a026845ca8543d1.png

I continue to agree with Timmy, we are going into p8 and then the wave could fade. 

19 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Despite this I do think we'll see something beginning of February. The EPS is not a bad look. 

You keep changing your mind everytime  you see a bad and good pattern modeled. 

• Like 2

Quit the bickering. Focus on the teleconnections and models not on each other. Right now there is support on both sides of the argument but based on what I am seeing the colder argument is winning at least for a week or two. Anyone claiming victory for most of February at this point is just being ridiculous. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Quit the bickering. Focus on the teleconnections and models not on each other. Right now there is support on both sides of the argument but based on what I am seeing the colder argument is winning at least for a week or two. Anyone claiming victory for most of February at this point is just being ridiculous. 

I didn't know it was a contest. Can't people here have a discussion without calling names ? Not referring to you.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Really? I've never done anything but give you respect. I expect the same in return. Sometimes not responding is the best option. 

Not being disrespectful , just saying posting the pattern wasn`t changing on the 20th was not supported by the guidance. 

What a pattern change means are probably different things to different people.

If Brian doesn`t get at least 6 inches of snow over the next 2 weeks the pattern will have not changed

• Haha 1

Just now, PB-99 said:

Not being disrespectful , just saying posting the pattern wasn`t changing on the 20th was not supported by the guidance. 

What a pattern change means, means different things to different people.

If Brian doesn`t get at least 6 inches of snow over the next 2 weeks the pattern will have not changed

Fair argument

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, weatherpruf said:

I didn't know it was a contest. Can't people here have a discussion without calling names ? Not referring to you.

The personal attacks are ridiculous. It is OKAY to be critical, but point out where the flaws are. I've been highly critical of JB, yet people still use him. Why do I not use him? Because his skill for forecasting overall temperatures is less than 30% (I ran the numbers about 5 years ago).