• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Small window for some LES as alluded to by the NWS . Albeit nothing to write home about..

The air mass is only modestly cold for late December
with its core only down to around -12C at 850mb. This will
support a brief lake response with snow showers east of the
lakes on Tuesday. This may provide a narrow window for
accumulating lake snows, but given the marginal nature of the
instability it appears to be a relatively minor lake event..

Gfs and Canadian show it, euro does not..

snku_acc.us_ne (93).png

snku_acc.us_ne (94).png

Merry Xmas everyone. Forgot to post I am now living in Amherst. Near Amherst High school off Main Street. Probably average a little less snow here than in West Seneca but not much as West Seneca was usually in the transition zone. Watch now 2nd or 3rd week of January will be a blockbuster 4 footer over West Seneca while I watch the clouds off to my south but no big deal, I am a mailman now so warm and no snow is absolutely fine by me when I'm walking 12-16 miles a day lol.

23 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

Merry Xmas everyone. Forgot to post I am now living in Amherst. Near Amherst High school off Main Street. Probably average a little less snow here than in West Seneca but not much as West Seneca was usually in the transition zone. Watch now 2nd or 3rd week of January will be a blockbuster 4 footer over West Seneca while I watch the clouds off to my south but no big deal, I am a mailman now so warm and no snow is absolutely fine by me when I'm walking 12-16 miles a day lol.

You had a rough few years of horrible transitional events but I think West Seneca is ground zero for the heaviest snow Lake Erie can produce in the absolute picture perfect event.  They just seem to be exceedingly rare as of late. What was their number in the 2014 storm? 

28 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

You had a rough few years of horrible transitional events but I think West Seneca is ground zero for the heaviest snow Lake Erie can produce in the absolute picture perfect event.  They just seem to be exceedingly rare as of late. What was their number in the 2014 storm? 

Around 80-90” with most of that coming from “round 1” with nearly 60” in about 24 hours.  However that is nearly a once in a lifetime event and you have to live there a long time to make up for all the times you get screwed during 9 outta 10 events that transitions right through South Buffalo and West Seneca. However like you said it seems to be coming increasingly more rare or we just got on a lucky streak with several major events occurring almost every 4-5 years on the dot... 1995, 2000 (November) , 2001 (December), 2006 (October), 2010 (December), 2014 (Snowvember). So according to history WS is due for a big one this season haha! Not so sure it’ll happen this year though as the pattern for the next several weeks looks progressive and mild then she starts to freeze up for the year by Late January; but like the NYS lottery, hey you never know...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

Around 80-90” with most of that coming from “round 1” with nearly 60” in about 24 hours.  However that is nearly a once in a lifetime event and you have to live there a long time to make up for all the times you get screwed during 9 outta 10 events that transitions right through South Buffalo and West Seneca. However like you said it seems to be coming increasingly more rare or we just got on a lucky streak with several major events occurring almost every 4-5 years on the dot... 1995, 2000 (November) , 2001 (December), 2006 (October), 2010 (December), 2014 (Snowvember). So according to history WS is due for a big one this season haha! Not so sure it’ll happen this year though as the pattern for the next several weeks looks progressive and mild then she starts to freeze up for the year by Late January; but like the NYS lottery, hey you never know...

I would put a few more events in west seneca almost hitting jackpot zone. Besides ski country they had biggest total for this event. These are just the larger ones that come to mind, they've been hit by quite a few small-mid size events.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2016-2017&event=E

Nearly top total for this one

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2017-2018&event=C

Did good in this one

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2018-2019&event=E

and this one

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2018-2019&event=G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We always joke about the transition zone here but that little strip of Lackawanna South Buffalo West Seneca really can be a sweet spot. Personally I think that area can see the highest snowfall rates from an Erie band. Don’t know if it’s an orographical feature or maybe a added convergence area helping fire up the band in the spot? Even on a pure SW full fetch event like Nov2000 the snowfall rates only maxed at 4”/hr. The transition zone area seeing 3”/hr rates can be pretty common. The first January event last year we caught that surprise southward shift and the band intensified to 3-4”/hr rates over us with a foot in like 4 hours. Can also remember many storms here with 6”/hr rates all the way up to 8”/hr rates like Nov2014. This area is also common spot for moving bands to stall out and intensify over for short periods of time. And yes the cycle seems to be a decent more memorable storm every 4-5 years hitting this area.

6 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

We always joke about the transition zone here but that little strip of Lackawanna South Buffalo West Seneca really can be a sweet spot. Personally I think that area can see the highest snowfall rates from an Erie band. Don’t know if it’s an orographical feature or maybe a added convergence area helping fire up the band in the spot? Even on a pure SW full fetch event like Nov2000 the snowfall rates only maxed at 4”/hr. The transition zone area seeing 3”/hr rates can be pretty common. The first January event last year we caught that surprise southward shift and the band intensified to 3-4”/hr rates over us with a foot in like 4 hours. Can also remember many storms here with 6”/hr rates all the way up to 8”/hr rates like Nov2014. This area is also common spot for moving bands to stall out and intensify over for short periods of time. And yes the cycle seems to be a decent more memorable storm every 4-5 years hitting this area.

Yeah the farther south you go the more lake effect snow events you receive. It's pretty simple as the predominant winds in winter are NW and least common SSW. We probably average 1-2 more events a winter than those in the "transition" zone and 3-5 more events then those around the airport. But its rare for us to get hit on a NW flow here as its more common in NE Erie County. We need W-SW flow or we miss out here.

49 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2016-2017&event=E

7 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

You’re not far from me. What’s your assigned station? 

Just now, Thinksnow18 said:

What I find fascinating is the AO is negative right now and we're warmish...wonder if this is one of those seasons where the indicators don't preclude the actual weather...

No the indices are correct. You have to use all of them to get a good idea. We have a raging Pacific. The AO can be negative 6 standard dev. and still be torch.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/forecast.html