• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

18 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

No the indices are correct. You have to use all of them to get a good idea. We have a raging Pacific. The AO can be negative 6 standard dev. and still be torch.

https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/forecasts/reforecast2/teleconn/forecast.html

True however the PNA index is basically neutral ATM and is trending positive in the very near term...is this more a factor of the IOD at this point being stuck in the MJO warm phases?

7 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

True however the PNA index is basically neutral ATM and is trending positive in the very near term...is this more a factor of the IOD at this point being stuck in the MJO warm phases?

This is basically our setup right now. But yes MJO is having a huge influence on our weather, as it did last year. Lots of convection. We have a very strong PV where Alaska has been brutally cold. This leads to the Pacific air dominating the lower 48. There are no mechanisms to bring the cold air to our region. The one good thing is the PV is on our side of the globe, not in Siberia/Russia. 

Image result for + EPO temps

34 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This is basically our setup right now. But yes MJO is having a huge influence on our weather, as it did last year. Lots of convection. We have a very strong PV where Alaska has been brutally cold. This leads to the Pacific air dominating the lower 48. There are no mechanisms to bring the cold air to our region. The one good thing is the PV is on our side of the globe, not in Siberia/Russia. 

Image result for + EPO temps

And I have to admit that scenario you show surprises me due in large part to how warm the waters off the West Coast were aka the blob. That "should've" progressed into a large area of high pressure but handle not. I'm beginning to think this January turns out a lot like last Jan...warmish first two weeks, brutal and snowy last two weeks.

3 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Ggem actually lifts it North unlike gfs/icon, creates SW flow..

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_26.png

It is also colder for the synoptic delivering the goods. 16 inches plus of heavy wet snow verbatim on the CMC from both synoptic storms combined... seems like extreme north north east New York and Vermont New Hampshire and Maine have a chance at some big snows with this one. gem_asnow_us_31.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

This Bills game forecast still looks like a train wreck.  The onset has been pulling back a little with each run so we might escape the rain during the tailgating portion of this useless affair, haha.  Not looking forward to this.  

If there's 35k fans there that'll be on the high side

3 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

If there's 35k fans there that'll be on the high side

i've been trying to convince my group of friends to just bail on it altogether.  The tickets were only 50 bucks and paid for months ago.  They don't seem to realize how lame and wet this is going to be, haha.  If we do go, I'll be the best prepared, that I can guarantee.  

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You can see the EPS showing something similar as the cold air from alaska modifies as it comes south. Cold air enters around Jan 6th. ecmwf-ens_T850a_namer_fh168-240.thumb.gif.bae367954601ab2e06ff13f4afb346b0.gif

So as usual blend the two camps...GFS notoriously fast and EPS notoriously lagging...that puts us back in the game around this time next week