• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate/Eastern New York

Currently 56 deg here with a heat index of 68...Seriously, it’s really warm out right now!  The 56 deg does feel warmer with some humidity in the air and no wind. 

This type of winter nighttime warmth usually precedes a strong cold front that sucks GOM air up in front of it. Not so much this time...Kinda weird actually. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Currently 56 deg here with a heat index of 68...Seriously, it’s really warm out right now!  The 56 deg does feel warmer with some humidity in the air and no wind. 

This type of winter nighttime warmth usually precedes a strong cold front that sucks GOM air up in front of it. Not so much this time...Kinda weird actually. 

I actually spray painted some furniture that my wife and I refurbish...and it dawned on me it's December 26th...the beer tastes great though...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

My car thermometer read 61. I just went to Lowes in shorts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

EPS shows cold sliding down under from Alaska. 

ecmwf-ens_T850a_namer_11.png

Keep hearing different ideas of how January, and indeed the winter, will turn out. Up here in Canada, Environment Canada is calling for a mild winter ,while The Weather Network is calling for a cold winter. Ryan Maue is calling for a warm first half of January while JB is calling for a big flip to cold. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I hope this doesn't go the way of 2005-2006 - that winter was originally predicted to be cold only for January to be a torch.

2 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Keep hearing different ideas of how January, and indeed the winter, will turn out. Up here in Canada, Environment Canada is calling for a mild winter ,while The Weather Network is calling for a cold winter. Ryan Maue is calling for a warm first half of January while JB is calling for a big flip to cold. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I hope this doesn't go the way of 2005-2006 - that winter was originally predicted to be cold only for January to be a torch.

How’s the snowpack doing up in Ottawa? I have some time off and was considering heading north to get in some cross country skiing. Certainly not happening around here for a while. 

1 hour ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

I'm starting to get worried as the Euro weeklies show a torch through all of January. That strong PV is a huge issue. We are basically at a neutral Enso state yet we are getting dominated by a PAC flow similar to that of an El Nino.

• Like 1

This coincides with the MJO going into phases 8/1/2. Quite a lot of spread still. 
diagram_40days_forecast_GEFS_member.gif&key=dbb419e5ebf3deb94cc5742b1ce108e520c587058aa1b058ad37aaa52c5dec29
MJO is practically non existent when it heads towards the center, especially when it enters the colder phases, 8-1 & 2, so yeah it's a player this yr but it's also far from being a driver. Hopefully something changes soon!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, CNY-LES FREAK said:

MJO is practically non existent when it heads towards the center, especially when it enters the colder phases, 8-1 & 2, so yeah it's a player this yr but it's also far from being a driver. Hopefully something changes soon!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yeah, everything is a non driver for warmth yet we are setting record highs and it doesn't look to be ending. I've never seen anything like it. ^_^

Well it hasn't been nearly as much of a torch here, hell I can finally see my driveway lol

We hit mid 40's once last week but we also had lows of 2, -3 and -10, which offsets the average daily temps..I have about 12" more snow this December than last, which isn't saying much lol

The next several days we are under the influence of a cutter so it makes sense to be warm..

Life's to short for me to worry about what's coming a month from now lol 

11 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Got any links to understanding mjo and Northeastern weather. It’s like you guys are talking voodoo. I can’t find anything understandable on the Google machine. 

It's because none of is amateurs,  and professionals alike are having a hard time explaining the overall factor to this crap pattern. Only thing I'm hoping for is it lasts for about two more weeks and we flip for the last 6 week's of winter.

• Like 1

The disappointing part of this winter so far to me has been the constant teases we keep getting. Long range picks up a few nice features... holds them consistent until we hit a week out and then it just slowly rips them apart to nothing for us. The LES setup for New Years that has hung on for days now even looks to be questionable. Looks like our only saving grace will be to hang onto the above normal lake temps and hope we can get a cold outbreak later into January like we did last year to just get all our snow in one quick shot.