Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2019

George BM

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Cashing top end with all the marginal mixy storms will more than make up for it. I prefer active and # of events over jacking the rare big ones. I'll fit in just fine in your slice of the region.

Give up the fight Bob. It takes its toll. Do what I did and go to a place where you are rarely In The Game so you aren't emotionally invested. Do the opposite and live on the SE coast or inland waterway when you can take advantage of the bays and ocean for 7 months and get the occasional snow event. Semi-retire and enjoy jet skis, ocean, fishing and hunting. There are some nice Inland Lake communities in Southwestern Virginia or North Western North Carolina that cash in more than Parrs Ridge.

9 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Feeling pretty good. Second kid graduated from UMD tonight. Two down and 2 to go. Once the second set is in college it's time to sell the house in Rockville and move to Parrs ridge (not joking). Can't wait to post storm obs. Lol 

Congrats and you would love the climo up here.  Still 30 degrees when I left for work an hour ago. 

7 hours ago, yoda said:

Going to be interesting to see if KC plays the Ravens in the playoffs as Suggs is reportedly going to play on the Chiefs 

Wont make any difference. Chiefs claimed him because they lost Okafor to an injury on Sunday, so they are hoping he can be a situational pass rusher I guess. He has tended to run out of gas this time of year later in his career, and wasn't doing much for Arizona. I doubt the Ravens would have wanted him if he had cleared waivers. Who were they going to drop from their roster just to give Suggs, who chose to leave, the chance to some back and win a SB? I don't think that would have gone over too well in that locker room.

9 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol. Cashing top end with all the marginal mixy storms will more than make up for it. I prefer active and # of events over jacking the rare big ones. I'll fit in just fine in your slice of the region.

Lol actually with the super big hecs because of upslope and crazy high ratios we usually do really well here then also.  What happened last January with that inverted trough feature was super rare. Usually the only time dc/Balt does appreciably better is a rare progressive slider that barely got good snow to DC/Balt.  Events with get big totals there and not here are rare. 

30 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This ass-clown Dr. Dews from the NE forum seems to like to come to ours and laugh at serious posts.

Never contributes anything of value. GTFOH.

Can you see who “liked” a post?  I used to be able too but ever since I was made storm mod I can’t. I wasn’t sure if that was the update because it happened about the same time or just me. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Can you see who “liked” a post?  I used to be able too but ever since I was made storm mod I can’t. I wasn’t sure if that was the update because it happened about the same time or just me. 

if you click who reacted to your post, you can see who did what. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yeah I can. That doesn't sound right. Maybe there is a setting to suppress "likes" or something.

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I can. That doesn't sound right. Maybe there is a setting to suppress "likes" or something.

Yea something’s been weird about my account even since it got switched. Ironically my storm mod features weren’t working either and a few people assumed it was me who started deleting a ton of garbage posts from the main thread last year. Truth is I never deleted a thing but I thought it was funny to let them think that. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea something’s been weird about my account even since it got switched. Ironically my storm mod features weren’t working either and a few people assumed it was me who started deleting a ton of garbage posts from the main thread last year. Truth is I never deleted a thing but I thought it was funny to let them think that. 

You should start deleting Bob's posts since he is obviously using his powers to set the US alight with a Pacific blowtorch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I can sense the Panic spreading. Reservations are increasing by the day.

I can't wait to roll up into the Eskimo Joe Memorial Ballroom at The Panic Room for my next batch of Reapin's like

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611714b89d5ab46eb3c9c

I can't tell...is that a skeletal Michael Jackson in "Thriller", or John Travolta a'la "Saturday Night Fever"???

Not sure Eskimo Joe can match moves like that...:lol:

10 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Feeling pretty good. Second kid graduated from UMD tonight. Two down and 2 to go. Once the second set is in college it's time to sell the house in Rockville and move to Parrs ridge (not joking). Can't wait to post storm obs. Lol 

Well, my daughter is a junior in HS this year, so I get to start worrying about college real soon myself!!

(ETA:  And congrats on your 2nd kid graduating UMD!!  Very cool!! :grad:)

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Well, my daughter is a junior in HS this year, so I get to start worrying about college real soon myself!!

(ETA:  And congrats on your 2nd kid graduating UMD!!  Very cool!! :grad:)

I got a senior this year.  Future for him is a bit cloudy so tuition and room and board won't be needed right away as in off to a far away college.  Community col likely.  But two more kids to go after that.  Yikes.  Need scholarships.  

And congrats to @Bob Chill and you for hitting big milestones as a parent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol actually with the super big hecs because of upslope and crazy high ratios we usually do really well here then also.  What happened last January with that inverted trough feature was super rare. Usually the only time dc/Balt does appreciably better is a rare progressive slider that barely got good snow to DC/Balt.  Events with get big totals there and not here are rare. 

I know and highstakes' post was poking fun at the "mythical fringe" that rarely happens. 

Better snow climo is just a byproduct of where we want to live. We want big rolling views, large property, modest home. Downsize and simplify while getting the F out of the rat race. Our eventual final destination may end up much further north like VT or NH. That's too far away to think much about though. 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I got a senior this year.  Future for him is a bit cloudy so tuition and room and board won't be needed right away as in off to a far away college.  Community col likely.  But two more kids to go after that.  Yikes.  Need scholarships.  

And congrats to @Bob Chill and you for hitting big milestones as a parent.

I couldn't talk either of my older kids into community college for the first 2 years. I tried pretty hard too. Now that they both graduated they both wish they went to CC first. The good thing is neither is saddled with much student loan debt. They both have some but very manageable. That's actually part of my plan as I made them take some loans to have some skin in the game. It's def working as they realize that they need to get to work and start paying the loans back. 

It wasn't as hard putting kids through college as I first thought but it wasn't easy either... that's for sure. I'm more prepared for the next round and I have 4 years before having to deal with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I couldn't talk either of my older kids into community college for the first 2 years. I tried pretty hard too. Now that they both graduated they both wish they went to CC first. The good thing is neither is saddled with much student loan debt. They both have some but very manageable. That's actually part of my plan as I made them take some loans to have some skin in the game. It's def working as they realize that they need to get to work and start paying the loans back. 

It wasn't as hard putting kids through college as I first thought but it wasn't easy either... that's for sure. I'm more prepared for the next round and I have 4 years before having to deal with it. 

CC seems the better choice for my oldest.  I would have loved for him to learn a trade and avoid college altogether so he isn't saddled with debt.  Trade work these days isn't something to be ashamed of anymore.  People rather pay $$$ for stuff they don't have to do.  But in any case, I've been doing a 529 plan for him for years so whatever is in that will help pay for some college.

As for the other two, I'll have to see.  One is an athletic nut and will likely play HS sports.  Maybe she will punch her own ticket for college.

• Like 3

As someone who went to Community College for the first few years before 4 year, it was a blessing. I got to stay close to home, get my Gen Eds out of the way, worked part-time and saved like $50k for college by doing so. If anyone reads this and is thinking of going to college, I highly recommend doing this IF AND ONLY IF you know the credits will transfer where you want to go. Do your research and work with an adviser. It's so important and very helpful. Congrats to all in here that have kids graduating or going to college. That's an awesome life accomplishment to say, "I kept this human alive long enough for them to further their education. I deserve a beer!" :)

• Thanks 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic