Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Although like Chris said, very dynamic system. I suppose a micro low or two may pop, but that is a nowcast deal i think. The interior won't see much wind at all. Looks wedgy there too. 

Quick go through of some point-and-click soundings across the interior have an inversion...doesn't look overly strong, but as we've seen in the past even a very weak inversion will limit winds. GFS bufkit is actually sustained like pretty much tropical storm force across at CHH. 

We'll have to see much much rain does fall (thankfully this is a quick mover) but there could be tree damage/power outages Thursday...still looks like some decent winds on the backside. 

8 hours ago, dryslot said:

I think it was Becks dark, You have to have some very bad things happen to sink a pontoon boat.

i've seen it happen in person. 2 primary factors: excessive amounts of beer; and excessive amounts of people on the boat. talking 2-3x capacity.

the other way it can happen: pontoon falls off. i've not seen that happen

1 minute ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Winds off the water would scrub out the low level cold....at least I think that's what he is saying.

We get plenty of stout LLJs in October, and they don't all produce widespread wind gusts. 

If SSTs drove our wind potential, we'd never get wind events in January and February. While it may have some influence, it's not very high up the list.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If it was winter we’d see an inversion. The warm SST’s will allow the Lower levels of atmosphere to remain warm relatively speaking well north and west.. thus offering strong winds inland . Different story if waters were cool 

SST's are going to be > sfc temps

Also SST's are what in Long Island...lower 60's? That's not exactly "warm". 

We're dealing with a stable airmass here...if we got into the warm sector it would be a different story. 

If you want wind just wait to Thursday...we'll get our wind then 

21 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

SST's are going to be > sfc temps

Also SST's are what in Long Island...lower 60's? That's not exactly "warm". 

We're dealing with a stable airmass here...if we got into the warm sector it would be a different story. 

If you want wind just wait to Thursday...we'll get our wind then 

To me our best bet for 45+ is tomorrow night 

9 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

will be very interesting to see if the deep convection off the GA coast develops a weak SLP today. 

Bingo...this is pretty much the key between anomalous (that trough digging in is already going to be pretty anomalous...in terms of strength) and super-anomalous. The NAM goes wild with some convective blob across GA lol. 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Looking at some things right now but since this is overnight tomorrow I will wait for tomorrows runs before having to get help to pull my genny out of the shed. Oct 17 keeps dancing in my head though. 

I thought the post you made last night was a pretty solid layout for what to expect. 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

To me our best bet for 45+ is tomorrow night 

I don't think we're in the game for that. The Cape and Islands get the good winds here. This just isn't a good wind setup for us. 

I would suspect 35-45 mph gusts Thursday...NAM is a bit stronger with this potential but NW winds around the backside of systems is typically good for us. 

23 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think we're in the game for that. The Cape and Islands get the good winds here. This just isn't a good wind setup for us. 

I would suspect 35-45 mph gusts Thursday...NAM is a bit stronger with this potential but NW winds around the backside of systems is typically good for us. 

Couple of caveats to wind. Gravity waves and monsoon rains can tap and wash out inversions to the point damaging winds can occur.  Trees are leaved and many are dead, lowering wind speed potential for damage.  Still early on the wind dept. Sucks BOX radar decided to go off line, yes decided. OKX velocity is bent right at my location.  I used BOX during high wind events and it works great here. We wait