• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Just now, ncjoaquin said:

SREF was back up to 3.5 at KAVL.

Morning Jason... 

The closest location on the SREF for me is south of Shelby which is about 30 miles to my SE. It is up to 2.32. Yesterday highest at 09z was 2.82.

9 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Morning Jason... 

The closest location on the SREF for me is south of Shelby which is about 30 miles to my SE. It is up to 2.32. Yesterday highest at 09z was 2.82.

I hate the warm start, but the cold is supposed to get in here. Sooner rather than later I hope.

2 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

I hate the warm start, but the cold is supposed to get in here. Sooner rather than later I hope.

Generally speaking, the flow is out of the NE. That should start to push the surface wet bulb down as the morning progresses. 

8 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Generally speaking, the flow is out of the NE. That should start to push the surface wet bulb down as the morning progresses. 

Dew point has dropped 6 degrees in the last hour at the airport.

The latest rap is ramping up qpf! Now has 1" qpf on the southern border of macon, Jackson,  and transylvania counties. It also has 850 temps below freezing here at 8am with snow falling.  Will see if that's correct shortly. 

qpf_acc.conus (1).png

• Like 4

Just now, franklin NCwx said:

The latest rap is ramping up qpf! Now has 1" qpf on the southern border of macon, Jackson,  and transylvania counties. It also has 850 temps below freezing here at 8am with snow falling.  Will see if that's correct shortly. 

That would be great news. 

4 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

current 850850mb_sf.gif?1582197468650

^looks like the freezing line is currently banked up against the balsams where cad likes to set up.  +1 is running right over my head.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

You still getting sleet?

Was light mix snow/sleet, died down a bit now, but I’m down the mountain. Home is up on Stoney Mountain. 

and... back to all snow (light).

Temperature actually went up 3 degrees during the night, but just started falling once again. Nothing so far in Maggie, but I see they're busy making snow up at Cataloochee. DP 21 with 39F.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Just flurries here. Temps are too warm, sitting at 32.4 and rising. Went up 3 degrees overnight.

Joe you're bound to cool off soon as the precip picks up.  Kind of odd that we're so close together and at relatively the same elevation and I'm 4° colder.  

1 minute ago, McDowell_Weather said:

I just saw a flake!!!! Holy $hit.......oh wait just a cigarette ash lol Good luck guys I got the yota all gased up my son can barley walk from layers were good to go!!!

I'm debating if the one flake I've seen was dust or not lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snow coming down at a decent clip now in Maggie as elevated surfaces start to accumulate. As cold air aloft mentioned, light NE winds bode well for us in Haywood County.

• Like 4

Flurries/light snow in Waynesville proper (work) starting around 8:00am

Left Asheville (home) at 7:30 and it was 39 degrees, no rain or snow 

First flakes or two I saw around 7:50 getting off of I-40 onto 19/23 then once I got to Waynesville there were "real" flurries/light snow

not snowing at a pace that can or will accumulate at the moment

• Like 1