• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fujiwara79
    Newest Member
    fujiwara79
Tyler Penland

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

7 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

It's been a terrible winter for everyone east of the Rockies.  

Believe it's been a good year for the midwest. Just going off my memory.  I know Indiana has scored several nice events. (Not that it makes it any better for us or the east coast, lol)

28 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Yea Minnesota is racking up. Another foot in Minneapolis this week 

Right now Minneapolis has 35 inches on the season.  They average 54.

47 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Believe it's been a good year for the midwest. Just going off my memory.  I know Indiana has scored several nice events. (Not that it makes it any better for us or the east coast, lol)

Reading the lakes/Ohio valley thread it's been a bad year. Its picked up the last couple weeks with the cutters. But for the most part they're below normal 

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Reading the lakes/Ohio valley thread it's been a bad year. Its picked up the last couple weeks with the cutters. But for the most part they're below normal 

I went deer hunting in Terre Haute, Indiana the 2nd week of November and got blasted with 4 inches of snow while I was in the stand and temps dropped to 5 degrees with a high of 12 the next day. Turns out that was the coldest air the Eastern US has seen all winter.

• Like 1

Just came from working in Ohio, Columbus area and South from there.  Been working there since November.  Thursday night/Friday morning was the biggest snow they’ve had all year if I recall correctly.  A whopping 3” with maybe another 1/2”-1” this morning depending on where you were and there haven’t been many snows in general when I’ve been up there, one or two other dustings but that’s it.  Lots of Apps runners but too warm for most of Ohio.  I know our guys working around Ft Wayne, Indiana have had to deal with quite a bit but even then well below average and I don’t think any big snows, I think 6” was the most while someone was there from our company.

• Like 1

Nice one! Indiana is on my list of states to hunt in the future, I’ve seen some big ones while working.  2017 and last year I was in north-Central Nebraska and 2018 NW Missouri for my November hunts.  Also went to Colorado for my first elk hunt last year October, -1 scouting the morning before the opener, didn’t get out of the teens the next day and then I spent all night in single digits quartering and hanging meat. Here’s my Nebraska mulie this year, also tagged out on a 10 pt later in the week after a dusting of snow and cold front blasted through:

ABC3A210-503B-475A-B7C3-2BED055C4194.jpeg

Missouri in the snow:

1C944CF8-D6D9-47E7-96D4-7E03DEA6C908.thumb.jpeg.10e8b582116659c27ae49ba82bf8ee40.jpeg

Lots of edits = my phone hates me and kept throwing random memes and pics in the post :facepalm:

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I went deer hunting in Terre Haute, Indiana the 2nd week of November and got blasted with 4 inches of snow while I was in the stand and temps dropped to 5 degrees with a high of 12 the next day. Turns out that was the coldest air the Eastern US has seen all winter.

Sweet! When housing prices drop we are gonna buy one in the Wisconsin dells. Its about an hour north of Madison.  It's a big tourist area so I'll use it as a rental and write off our trips. Great hunting up there! Oh... and it snows more

• Like 3

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Sweet! When housing prices drop we are gonna buy one in the Wisconsin dells. Its about an hour north of Madison.  It's a big tourist area so I'll use it as a rental and write off our trips. Great hunting up there! Oh... and it snows more

Housing around there is very affordable.  That is a huge tourist town in Wisconsin.  A good place to do what you are talking about.

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Housing around there is very affordable.  That is a huge tourist town in Wisconsin.  A good place to do what you are talking about.

Yeah, it's a nice area. We have been a few times. We have found a few we liked but are way overpriced.  Hopefully we can find one before next winter. 

Cutters are great for that area!

38 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Yeah, it's a nice area. We have been a few times. We have found a few we liked but are way overpriced.  Hopefully we can find one before next winter. 

Cutters are great for that area!

Yeah in that area you have to look hard for sure but just north of there isn't as bad. Yeah when I was up there it can flat out lay the snow down.  

1 hour ago, franklin NCwx said:

Right now Minneapolis has 35 inches on the season.  They average 54.

They are on schedule then. They get a lot of snow in March and April

11 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Drove and hiked through some pea soup fog on Grandfather after work today to find a couple inches of snow at the Boone Fork Bridge. fdaaa19617cad54dd6df4a509343cc5e.jpg

Great shot!

20 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Don’t think I’ll ever make it to 50 today I’m at 25 with dense freezing fog still

In Sylva at the fly shop and you aren’t kidding about freezing fog.  Soon as I dropped down a couple miles from home you could see it clinging at the tree tops and above.

35 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Don’t think I’ll ever make it to 50 today I’m at 25 with dense freezing fog still

We jumped up to 29 and still have some fog. 

Another flood watched issued for the southern mtns

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Just sucks! Also looks to impact the same areas. My county had a good bit of flooding around. Enough to shut the school system down on Friday.

We had multiple road closures around Burke during the last storm and I expect nothing different this time. I hate to be the person that seems like they're wishing for a drought, but we could really use an extended dry period or heck, maybe a rain storm that doesn't drop 3+ inches every time. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

We jumped up to 29 and still have some fog. 

Another flood watched issued for the southern mtns

This rain is no joke it seems like we could be classified as a rainforest here just like highlands.

• Like 1

We had multiple road closures around Burke during the last storm and I expect nothing different this time. I hate to be the person that seems like they're wishing for a drought, but we could really use an extended dry period or heck, maybe a rain storm that doesn't drop 3+ inches every time. 

Same here. I think we 10-12 roads closed during the height of the storm.