• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

42 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I went deer hunting in Terre Haute, Indiana the 2nd week of November and got blasted with 4 inches of snow while I was in the stand and temps dropped to 5 degrees with a high of 12 the next day. Turns out that was the coldest air the Eastern US has seen all winter.

Sweet! When housing prices drop we are gonna buy one in the Wisconsin dells. Its about an hour north of Madison.  It's a big tourist area so I'll use it as a rental and write off our trips. Great hunting up there! Oh... and it snows more

• Like 3

1 minute ago, franklin NCwx said:

Sweet! When housing prices drop we are gonna buy one in the Wisconsin dells. Its about an hour north of Madison.  It's a big tourist area so I'll use it as a rental and write off our trips. Great hunting up there! Oh... and it snows more

Housing around there is very affordable.  That is a huge tourist town in Wisconsin.  A good place to do what you are talking about.

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Housing around there is very affordable.  That is a huge tourist town in Wisconsin.  A good place to do what you are talking about.

Yeah, it's a nice area. We have been a few times. We have found a few we liked but are way overpriced.  Hopefully we can find one before next winter. 

Cutters are great for that area!

38 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Yeah, it's a nice area. We have been a few times. We have found a few we liked but are way overpriced.  Hopefully we can find one before next winter. 

Cutters are great for that area!

Yeah in that area you have to look hard for sure but just north of there isn't as bad. Yeah when I was up there it can flat out lay the snow down.  

20 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Don’t think I’ll ever make it to 50 today I’m at 25 with dense freezing fog still

In Sylva at the fly shop and you aren’t kidding about freezing fog.  Soon as I dropped down a couple miles from home you could see it clinging at the tree tops and above.

43 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Just sucks! Also looks to impact the same areas. My county had a good bit of flooding around. Enough to shut the school system down on Friday.

We had multiple road closures around Burke during the last storm and I expect nothing different this time. I hate to be the person that seems like they're wishing for a drought, but we could really use an extended dry period or heck, maybe a rain storm that doesn't drop 3+ inches every time. 

• Like 1

We had multiple road closures around Burke during the last storm and I expect nothing different this time. I hate to be the person that seems like they're wishing for a drought, but we could really use an extended dry period or heck, maybe a rain storm that doesn't drop 3+ inches every time. 

Same here. I think we 10-12 roads closed during the height of the storm.

5 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Funny you say that because that is what Rosman is basically classified as.

There's an area from far NEGA and the tip of SC that runs through much of WNC and ETN into Virginia actually classified as a temperate rainforest.  I thought a rainforest by definition receives 100" of rain equivalent annually, but I've seen information in several places that refers to that entire area as one. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

There's an area from far NEGA and the tip of SC that runs through much of WNC and ETN into Virginia actually classified as a temperate rainforest.  I thought a rainforest by definition receives 100" of rain equivalent annually, but I've seen information in several places that refers to that entire area as one. 

Yeah could be. With our changing climate who knows but these localized areas around the mountains do get a heavy dose of rainfall. The micro climate around here is amazing. It really should be studied more.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Funny you say that because that is what Rosman is basically classified as.

From everything I have read all of the southern mtns in NC are classified as a rain forest.  Same with the north GA mtns and oconee county in SC. Here is an average rainfall map that shows it fairly well.

NC rainfall.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

From everything I have read all of the southern mtns in NC are classified as a rain forest.  Same with the north GA mtns and oconee county in SC. Here is an average rainfall map that shows it fairly well.

NC rainfall.gif

Thats an interesting map. A sharp cutoff in parts of Haywood, Madison, and Buncombe county. Its amazing the enhancement of the southern escarpment does for precipitation values.

30 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

You are probably right. We can always pull a rabbit out of the hat though in early spring but time is not on our side. 

I'm not ready to throw in the towel.  As Joe can tell you, our corner of Yancey county can score well into April. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Closer view of mountain counties. Just amazing the differences in only 50 miles from Asheville to Lake Toxaway:

041db09d389773d785d34d8388e15706.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

I like this map more.. It shows a bit more of the upslope component on the Blue Ridge. I did think places from Lake Lure to Wilson Creek in Caldwell county would get a bit more than shown compared to places like Dysartsville to Taylorsville.