• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dhubbard
    Newest Member
    dhubbard
Tyler Penland

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

1 hour ago, Sw NC weather said:

This rain is no joke it seems like we could be classified as a rainforest here just like highlands.

Funny you say that because that is what Rosman is basically classified as.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Met1985 said:

There's an area from far NEGA and the tip of SC that runs through much of WNC and ETN into Virginia actually classified as a temperate rainforest.  I thought a rainforest by definition receives 100" of rain equivalent annually, but I've seen information in several places that refers to that entire area as one. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

There's an area from far NEGA and the tip of SC that runs through much of WNC and ETN into Virginia actually classified as a temperate rainforest.  I thought a rainforest by definition receives 100" of rain equivalent annually, but I've seen information in several places that refers to that entire area as one. 

Yeah could be. With our changing climate who knows but these localized areas around the mountains do get a heavy dose of rainfall. The micro climate around here is amazing. It really should be studied more.

• Like 1

Yea it doesn't look good. At least there will be some below normal next weekend and lows in the teens possible.  It will help stunt the growth of plants and grass 

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

The next 2 to 3 weeks are going to be crap with the pattern. Literally every indicy is going to be against us. 

It is over. Time for severe season

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Met1985 said:

From everything I have read all of the southern mtns in NC are classified as a rain forest.  Same with the north GA mtns and oconee county in SC. Here is an average rainfall map that shows it fairly well.

NC rainfall.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, franklin NCwx said:

From everything I have read all of the southern mtns in NC are classified as a rain forest.  Same with the north GA mtns and oconee county in SC. Here is an average rainfall map that shows it fairly well.

NC rainfall.gif

Thats an interesting map. A sharp cutoff in parts of Haywood, Madison, and Buncombe county. Its amazing the enhancement of the southern escarpment does for precipitation values.

2 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Closer view of mountain counties. Just amazing the differences in only 50 miles from Asheville to Lake Toxaway:

041db09d389773d785d34d8388e15706.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

I like this map more.. It shows a bit more of the upslope component on the Blue Ridge. I did think places from Lake Lure to Wilson Creek in Caldwell county would get a bit more than shown compared to places like Dysartsville to Taylorsville. 

2 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I'm not ready to throw in the towel.  As Joe can tell you, our corner of Yancey county can score well into April. 

Oh I know. Iv seen it snow 10 inches the second week in April.  We are in the mountains and not the low lands... 

• Like 1

I've seen 10 inches of snow in Asheville on April 3rd I  believe it was 1987, I was delivering mail and it actually I believe was 12 inches.  It was great.

• Like 2

Call me crazy but I think we see a sizable shift in the pattern come the first of March. 

Euro showing a 1040 high dropping down in the LR. Thats something we haven’t seen all winter.
  • Like 2
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Once the rain moved out we were left with super dense fog.  Now we have the dense fog and the rain.  Oh, and lots and lots of mud. 

That sounds horrible.  Everything is an absolute mess outside. 

Back home. Looks like I missed a wild week last week. Rain, floods, rain, southern snow, tornadoes and severe storms in SC, rain, and got home in the rain. I've had over 7 inches of rain in the last 10 days. That's very uncommon here anytime of the year.

A little chilly in California but I don't think I saw a cloud the last 6 days we were there. First time in the Monterey area. Very pretty place.

• Like 3

Gfs shows how we can score in this crappy pattern.  After a cutter early next week it brings up a wave along the front. This happens at the same time it builds in a 1046mb high in the northern plains. This could easily trend north or get squashed. Maybe we get lucky again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Back home. Looks like I missed a wild week last week. Rain, floods, rain, southern snow, tornadoes and severe storms in SC, rain, and got home in the rain. I've had over 7 inches of rain in the last 10 days. That's very uncommon here anytime of the year.

A little chilly in California but I don't think I saw a cloud the last 6 days we were there. First time in the Monterey area. Very pretty place.

Fun fact, Monterey is about the same latitude as Asheville (per Google Monterey is 0.005 deg North of Asheville).

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 8:12 PM, calculus1 said:

Closer view of mountain counties. Just amazing the differences in only 50 miles from Asheville to Lake Toxaway:

041db09d389773d785d34d8388e15706.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Yep, French Broad River Valley from AVL to Hot Springs gets rain shadowed from the south.