Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big New England heat 7/19-21

weathafella

Just now, dendrite said:

It's all from NOAA's servers. It's kinda weird because our ASOS stations will report obs in whole degrees F. But we stepped away from the surface aviation obs in 1996 to go with the international METAR coding. So those whole F temps get converted to C. They had to add a T group for temp and dew in the remarks section in order to report temp and dew in tenths celcius (so that we can convert back those readings in whole degrees F). It's a lot of bouncing back and forth. Utah/Mesowest is just converting what they get from NOAA. So the METARs and SPECI (special) obs have the T grouping in tenths, but the relatively new supplementary obs do not have the T group and it just comes in as whole degrees C in the body of the ob.

I guess pilots don't care if it's 96F or 97F. 36C is good enough for them.

Well than hopefully BDL gets corrected to 99.44 then -

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

It's all from NOAA's servers. It's kinda weird because our ASOS stations will report obs in whole degrees F. But we stepped away from the surface aviation obs in 1996 to go with the international METAR coding. So those whole F temps get converted to C. They had to add a T group for temp and dew in the remarks section in order to report temp and dew in tenths celcius (so that we can convert back those readings in whole degrees F). It's a lot of bouncing back and forth. Utah/Mesowest is just converting what they get from NOAA. So the METARs and SPECI (special) obs have the T grouping in tenths, but the relatively new supplementary obs do not have the T group and it just comes in as whole degrees C in the body of the ob.

I guess pilots don't care if it's 96F or 97F. 36C is good enough for them.

Anyway...the 18z 6hr max and mins are in for 18z.

BAF shows a high of 98.6F (37C) on Mesowest. That technically rounds to 99F, but like I said, it could be 98F or 99F. The 6hr max shows "10367" which is +36.7C...so that's a high of 98F so far.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Well than hopefully BDL gets corrected to 99.44 then -

lol...BDL is legit 100F. The 6hr max has 100F and 38C is either 100 or 101 (37.8C or 38.3C). So there's no guessing game on whether or not they hit 100F when 38C/100.4F rolls in.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

What's the record?  I'd think that pit must have a pretty high one.

Think it's 102 (maybe 103) but pretty sure it's 102.

DXR apparently recorded 106 in 1995 and for some reason it stands as the state record. But that reading doesn't make any sense really. I guess there are some records you can grab from DXR...one of them is lime precip and I think if you check their precip they average like 4-5'' of rain less per year then BDL...lol

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The 5 min obs (non METAR or SPECIs) come in via whole degrees celcius. That's what Mesowest gets in. So for BOS that's 36C. For BDL and BAF that was 37C. 36C converted to F is 96.8F. But that just means it is either 96F (35.6C) or 97F (36.1C). It's just a communications limitation from NOAA. I wish they'd just send every 5 min ob in tenths celcius and not whole celcius. Then you'd get the accurate reading in whole degrees F.

I've never really paid much attention when we dial in (because we're usually looking for the max or min which is listed plainly anyway) if the 5 min obs are full precision or not. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Think it's 102 (maybe 103) but pretty sure it's 102.

DXR apparently recorded 106 in 1995 and for some reason it stands as the state record. But that reading doesn't make any sense really. I guess there are some records you can grab from DXR...one of them is lime precip and I think if you check their precip they average like 4-5'' of rain less per year then BDL...lol

Wow, I'd have thought they'd manage a little more than that as they seem to manage upper 90's everytime Kevin farts.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I've never really paid much attention when we dial in (because we're usually looking for the max or min which is listed plainly anyway) if the 5 min obs are full precision or not. 

I'll have to dig more. ISU must have them. I just figured MW would have the full precision if it was available. It's be nice if we could get them...I mean it's 2019...not 1999. We're not on dialup with that big of bandwidth concerns anymore.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don’t see them here.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=KBDL&wfo=fgz&num=72&hfmetars=1

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...BDL is legit 100F. The 6hr max has 100F and 38C is either 100 or 101 (37.8C or 38.3C). So there's no guessing game on whether or not they hit 100F when 38C/100.4F rolls in.

Damn!

... yeah, I know ... but man wouldn't that f just be the most awesomest thing - some parallel universe gets to experience that

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Unnnnfortunately ... "WE" didn't do shit...  YOU don't get in due to your lack of faith and bad attitude earlier. 

For everyone else... Yeah!  woo- hooo ... we did it without Kevin. 

Better luck next time....

He said "everything is ruined " in the same manner as  the hillbilly chick who  is informed at the alter that the groom to be will not be coming  because the groom ran off with his sister. 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Holy shit.  

Taunton knows how to do summer heat!

My brother's key chain thermometer is reading 88F about 20' from the ocean.  Pretty impressive for CC. 

These past 2 days have been brutal.  No way you can be outside in this shit without some sort of shade and/or cooling method.

Just now, Lava Rock said:

89.1f. hotter then yesterday, but still no 90

I got a buddy who lives at a similar altitude as you down in Auburn ... he did not 90 yesterday, despite ORH doing so at 1,000..

I think that's a reasonable micro-comparison for how thermometer housing/setting can effect readings... ORH popped a 90, but they are at the AP.  Not sure exactly how that site's instrumentation is oriented, but my buddy's system is in a rural neighborhood setting ... with 70' oaks on one side of the lawn... and also, res. type holding ponds situated around town.   Him being held to 87 intuitively fits that comparison -

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

These past 2 days have been brutal.  No way you can be outside in this shit without some sort of shade and/or cooling method.

I haven't noticed anyone outside in my neighborhood  since Friday. When the temp was in the 75-85 range people were outdoors enjoying the summer weather.  There isn't all that much that can be done outside that is enjoyable.